How to make thick body hair thinner

Ive got quite thick hair on my upper back, arms and shoulders. Would using an epilator like the Braun Silk-epil make them become thinner… i dont mind the amount of hair i have now i just want them to be thinner and not nasty thick black ones that stand out

Well, I hav noticed that epilator use does indeed make hair thinner. While shaving, hair was only perceivably getting thicker because of the sharp edges shaving creates, but epilating allows the hair to come up tapered and thinner as well.

It looks to me that what used to be corse thick hair on the outside of my upper arm is coming back in more or less like peach fuzz.

I’ve mainly been reading this forum as an anonymous guest, but now I wanted to log in, because of what I read in this and in another topic.

I have never experienced that hair becomes thinner after using an epilator or waxing. On the contrary: normally the result is that hair comes back thicker, because the body reacts after the rather violent plucking of the hair and sends more blood to that specific area (hence the red dots you get when waxing or using an epilator). If some hair comes back thinner, it must be a personal thing, certainly not a general rule. Beware!

Thinning out hair would be a dream for a lot of people. But as a rule, it will definitely not work with waxing or using an epilator.

Welcome Baron:

You are correct. Actually, the only places where one might find thinning, or what appears to be removal are eyeborws and legs.

Eyebrows would be actual hair removal based on the build up of Scar Tissue in the thin skin that overcomes the follicle, leading to either ingrown hairs, or no hairs at all. On legs, on the other hand, people lose leg hair as circulation in the legs lessens over time, so as one ages, one has less hair on the legs, but one might falsely believe that the reduction had something to do with the waxing, or tweezing one has done for years.

Really? It makes it come back thicker?? I was under the impression that it would come back the same or thinner when epilating. People on this forum put me under this impression!

I wouldn’t have bought an epilator for $140 and epilated myself had i known it’s going to come back thicker in the future!!

It depends on the place you wax, Nick. My experience is that it comes back thicker in some places. I have never experienced that it comes back thinner, in any place. I saw you were lead by some (in my opinion) untrue statements of others, that’s why I logged in.

I and others on the forum have explained until we were blue in the face about the plucking thing. That is why I always add the information about legs and eyebrows now, when discussing this, as it would always degenerate to a discussion of how one believed that plucking the face or back, MUST work, because someone they know lost eyebrows, or leg hairs. Both eyebrow and leg hair loss can happen due to nutrient dificiency, and eyebrows and legs hairs can also be lost due to the reasons already stated above.

I wish you had read the past posts enough to get that information before spending enough to buy some used pro electrolysis machines off ebay on a simple hair ripping machine.

Please check out www.HairFacts.com our sister site. It is more like an encyclopedia, but if you can navagate it, you will learn much.

Well, dammit!

I can see some regrowth already (on my upper arms). And it seems to be growing outwards now instead of flat. :s

It also appears curlier.

It’s not neccesarily thicker though, luckily.

Although i could be looking at hairs that were shaved, so it may not be regrowth. I went over my arms with a trimmer before i epilated. Maybe these are stubble hairs. Haha, i don’t know.

Edit: On second thoughts, it’s not curlier. Only a couple of hairs seemed a bit more wirey.