How to find an electrologist in your area

Thanks for the compliments, but are you purposly spamming on a website that clearly poo-poo’s this practice? The links are not helpful.

What I always find confusing is that the people that spam seem to think it’s a way of advertising. I look at the company their spamming across a forum or part of the Internet and take a mental note of not to trust them if I do for some reason come across them again :wink:

Dunno if it is just me.

Regards,
Benji

We highly prefer consumer diaries on their hair removal experiences written over a long time period that coincides with hair growth cycles, rather than phoney-like promotive type posts. Sorry, I can’t even understand these links to know if they are phoney promotions for one’s self gain. I’m doing a lot of assuming here. Consumers are more savvey these days and thankfully look at posts like this with a very crooked, squinty eye. I admit we are very hard on posters that appear self-servng. It just causes a visceral, protective reaction when we think we “smell” a rat. I apologise if my instincts are wrong, feelyou.

Looking at the sites more closely - the second site, if I’m correct, is a information site on beauty processes, although it does look suspicously like it’s advertising a certain procedure over others. For example, enzymes in certain products for slimming, medical procedures for cellulite, as well as a lot of other things. Although I’m not 100% sure as my French is that good.
The third link is a site a promoting a tgype of Internet phone, which apparently means you can make “Cheaper calls”.

Yet, funnily enough the first link to a hair removal site or clinic (this is a guess looking at the URL) doesn’t work, despite being the most relevant here. I think your right Dee about the spamming, although if I am wrong, I apologise as well.

Regards,
Benji

I would advise y’all not to click on the links. That’s why they post here. Clicks help their purpose as they get paid per click.

Hello. I only can find two elctrologist in my area, frederickburg VA. Can anyone help? This one lady wants to do VPL(variable pulse light) first and then finish up with electrolysis, this is for my chin, neck and sideburns. Is this a good idea? Thanks!

I would use electrolysis on my face from start to finish no matter how much hair you have. It works. I don’t know what her set up and skills are like for electrolysis. If she has a computerized epilator, good magnification glasses and quality lighting, she can whiz along just beautifully to remove your hair in a matter of hours. A modern electrologist can remove anywhere from 400- 800 hair per hour on an area if they use microflash or picoflash thermolysis with a great brand epilator. It’s just awesome. If she doesn’t have this kind of electrolysis set up, then I can see shy she is offering VPL in addition to electrolysis. This will be more costly, I assume. How much are the VPL treatments and how many do you need?

Can you explain what you understand about VPL and why you think it will kill hair permanently?

Dee

Unless you have a full beard and very coarse hair and lots of it, do electrolysis from the start. And if your hair is very coarse and plentiful, then I would only consider a true laser, not VPL.

I went back and talked to her today. She said she would rather me do VPL on my chin and neck because I have been plucking there and that hair is thick and dark. Then she would finish whatever did not take with electrolysis. If I did electrolysis first, she said, it might take more than one try. Then on my side burs, lip and jaw/cheek she would do electrolysis because I have never touched this hair before and it is softer and better for elctrolysis. She uses the blend machine. For VPL she she is charging me 250 for chin and neck. For the rest it is $1.50 for every minuet, and she does 10-12 hairs a min.Is the price accurate? She explained that VPL would hit the hair at the root and the hair would fall out, because it was shedding.

My main concern is looking like I have a beard growing when the hair starts growing back (in between treatments). But She said once she hit the hair with electrolysis the hair should not come back and it would not be visible. What should I expect in between treatments?

LA girl, why shouldn’t I do VPL? She said laser might leave marks…

Electrolysis will hit the hair at the root and it can be killed the first time if it is a growing hair. You are going to spend a lot of money for this strategy.

what do you mean if it is a growing root? The hair she is doing with electrolysis is hair I have not touched. What strategy would be better? I really appreciate any and all help…I am more worried about getting rid of the hair and the in between treatment looks/affects rather than the money. Though, i would like to know if her price is reasonable…

It means, is the hair in the growing phase as oppossed to the resting/shedding phase. Both electrolysis and light-based systems need growing hairs in order for those hairs to be affected, as in “killed”.

I think she will be doing electrolysis eventually for many of those hairs you describe, that’s why I suggested just starting electrolysis from start to finish and then you will be paying for electrolysis only, the sure thing. Many electrologists can clear a lot of hair on a woman’s face within one or two longer treatment sessions if they have modern equipment and skill. It is really no big deal to get first, full clearance, under these conditions. I just don’t see where a VPL has to be introduced into the mix. Are you paying $250 for temporary removal with the VPL?

If she is doing blend, you will be okay. It works. What really works well is microflash and picoflash thermolysis, but if she has not come into this era of electrolysis care, then first, full clearance will take longer to achieve. With electrolysis, you just need to clip or shave in between treatments to disguise the hair. No need to wait for shedding to occur.

Clients would not need to think about light-based systems if there were more microflash/picoflash thermolysis practitioners available. Someday, there will be.

Can you explain your understanding of VPL and if you know that it will permanently remove your hair?? Can you ask her for female references that have had their facial hair treated with VPL with satisfaction post one year or more?

Have you consulted with other electrologists in your locale to see what their set up is so you can make a good decision?

Dee

We do not have many in our area. I had a constulation with someone that does laser, and I talked to another elcrtolysis as well, but more about price. I like the lady I have decided to do it with. I met with her twice so far to talk about it, she gave me her number to call her anytime I have a question. She is not pressuring me to make an appointment. I think I am more pressuring myself.

From what i have read and what she told me, VPL will get rid of about 75% of the hair and then I can do elctolysis on the other 25%. It’ kinda like IPL.Once she zaps it, the light should burn the root. The hair that was growing will fall out/shed. Since I have been plucking, she said, I have made the hair on my chin and neck harder to do with elctrolysis.

The other hair, on my sideburn and lip and jaw line have never been touched, they are softer. But, since I have never touched them does that mean they are in the resting stage?

If I should do elctrolysis on everything, I will. My chin and neck hairs have been plucked for about 5 years. I am olive colored with dark hair…Thank you for all your help!

vagrl,

I just cannot agree with her comment about the strong hair on your chin being harder to do with electrolysis. It’s quite the opposite. There are many electrologists that can put that hair a way for good. I’m sorry if she feels she can’t handle those chin hairs. All I can say is that I am not a fan of using light-based systems on a woman’s face. I have seen too much and have cleaned up the messes and unfullfilled promises of too many women that have used light-based systems on their faces to advise you otherwise. I think you will be spending more money than you need to and I don’t see how the VPL will even affect the sideburns, lip and jaw line, since those hairs are softer.

I don’t want to confuse you on this one, but you are here asking for help. It sickens me to think that there are not enough qualified electrologists to serve people like you. I worry about your skin color and wonder if you are gambling on having more hair stimulated by the VPL.

Can you ask her for client references so you can talk to people that were successful with this same strategy on olive skin like yours.

If you follow through with this plan and are happy one full year after having the last treatment, then I will be happy with you. I think electrolysis will be responsible for your permanent hair removal though, not the VPL.

some things she’s saying are inaccurate. Of course, they’re not unbiased as she’s selling you a service. here are my thoughts:

• Blend is not the fastest electrolysis method. I doubt she can do 10-12 hairs per minute with it. This method requires that the pulse be held with each zap for around 15-20 secs. Only thermolysis method can be that fast, and mostly with the newer microflash or picoflash types.

• VPL is not the best type of machine. If you do do laser treatments, true laser machines get better results faster. Also, the reason it’s not recommended to do your face with this even on coarse hair is because it’s hard to target only that hair and it will ultimately touch the finer hair around. And that can cause the finer hair to get more coarse and dark.

• There is no difference in terms of side effects when treating with VPL, IPL or laser. All can cause burns in the wrong hands. In good hands, there are no side effects at all. Same applies to electrolysis. Though, VPL and IPL have more potential for burning - explanation in the FAQs below.

• $250 is a very high price just for those areas.

• I would recommend you look for another electrologist, preferably one that uses thermolysis.

I will call a few more places tomorrow, even if they are a bit farther. She was only going to do VPL on my chin and neck, and electrolysis on everything else. She said if I really wanted, she would do electrolysis on everything, but she recommended VPL for chin and neck at first. I will call tomorrow and ask for a female reference or two.

LAgirl, the 250 was for four sessions, it would be about 60 a session, is that still too high?

I am suppose to start on my sideburns saturday with her, but I will check around first. I really appreciate your help…I am nervous as ever.

If you really want the most for your money, I would look for an electrologist using thermolysis method in your area instead. It will be a lot faster. And if they’re using a newer epilator, they’ll be able to perform both blend and thermolysis anyway.

$250 for 4 session is around $65. It’s not too bad, though you can get true laser for that price.

In my opinion, it’s best for you to find the best possible option whether it’s laser or electrolysis, not go with the first one you happened to find.

Also, can you please start a new thread? This thread is meant to help people find places in their area.

To anyone who currently lives in the Toronto GTA area , I am warning you that Bay Street Clinic Electrolysis is merely a scam place . I recently went to a new electrolysist on friday who even noticed that the previous technician was merely plucking me for 60 bucks and doing a poor job on removal . So if you want to really save your money go to smartlaser.ca and you can get laser/electrolysis done by a trained professional whose had this business for over 40 yrs . If you wish to be ripped off then please by all means go to Bay Street Clinic

New to the site and have been shopping around for the cheapest place in the Houston Tx area for permanant laser. Does anybody know of any training schools or locations the problem is i have alot of area to do like my whole body lol kinda like werewolf man I have also thought about an at home system but dont wanna get ripped off which i heard there are alot in this field. Any help or advice is welcome thanks! Anybody know how good LB500 works?

You’re posting in the electrolysis, not laser section. You should read the FAQs on laser below first. Cheapest is not what you should be looking for. You need most knowledgeable and effective if you want results for your money.

Once you read the FAQs, you’ll know what method, laser or electrolysis, is more appropriate for what area. In general, large areas with coarse hair should be treated with laser. Fine and sparse hair, with electrolysis.