How to deal with ingrown hairs on chin

I have a few hairs on my chin that have become a huge problem. After years of plucking them, even though I tried to stop plucking abut 3 years ago, they always grow back by first creating a huge noticeable painful bump. It eventually becomes red and pussy and unsightly.

I have been going to electrolysis the past year, and some of those hairs have been treated, but continue to return, always with pain and puss. I also am not sure the electrologist gets to the root at all. Even if they do, often the hairs are not above the surface of the skin until right after my appointment! It seems to never fail. Or, they don’t see them and miss the perfect window of growth stage.

So, I have tried to expose the hairs above the skin surface to make them available to the electrologist. But, sometimes, as happened a couple days ago, when I tried to unearth it in time to go to the electrologist the next day, just as I get it to be free, instead of being able to leave it there, I accidentally pull it out. This time it was probably because I was using new tweezers and didn’t even feel the tug. The root was all healthy, including the gelatinous sheath, and would have been perfect for treatment. But now it has been removed. Ugh!

Even worse than missing the opportunity to treat it, I fear the next time that hair comes in because it is painful and unsightly. I want to know how I can deal the the lump and pain, and get the hair above the skin surface, without accidentally pulling it out.

Stop tweezing. Gently exfoliate. Schedule your appointments every three weeks apart for the next 4-6 months. When the hairs are treated, make sure there is no tugging, friction, pulling. All hair should slide out effortlessly.

I stopped tweezing 2 years ago. I see my electrologist every week, except a couple weeks ago when we had an ice storm and then the next week they had to be gone. She doesn’t tug, and the hairs to slide out. Yet, I am still getting the lumps because they do not exit the skin.

I’m not sure exactly what the best exfoliation techniques are. Do you have suggestions?

there’s a point, where such hairs sometimes need to be extracted with a hyperdermic needle. Thsis is an invasive process, and can unfortunately cause scarring. but a very good technician can dothis with little to no trace.

1 Like

I understand the frustration and discomfort you’re facing with the hairs on your chin. Dealing with ingrown hairs can be a challenging and uncomfortable process. Have you considered speaking with your electrologist about your concerns? They may be able to provide additional guidance or techniques to target those stubborn hairs effectively. In the meantime, you could try gently exfoliating the area to help bring the hair above the skin’s surface. Using warm compresses or applying a warm cloth to the affected area might also help reduce inflammation and alleviate discomfort. It’s essential to handle the area with care to avoid accidentally pulling out the hair.