how to best avoid scabbing?

Hi Everyone,

After getting my upper lip, chin, sideburns, and bikini cleared (among other places!), I’m starting to work on the downy, black hair that covers my stomach. (Arms are next!)

Quick question–I’ve noticed that this area is, after one treatment, more sensitive. I’ve gotten some scabbing (red dots) that has lasted about one week. Any advice on how to minimize the scabbing? I plan to ask my electrologist to turn down the ‘volume’ a little bit next time, but I was wondering if there were other tricks of the trade (besides Aloe) that I should employ.

(For example, my electrologist recommended slathering on Neosporin, but I’m a bit hesitant to try that one.)

Any help would be appreciated. And good luck to everyone in their quest–there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Paly

There is nothing wrong with seeing some tiny scabbing on body areas. These little scabs form when lymph fluid goes to the treated site and it protects the follicle while healing. On some people they appear as honey colored crusts, so are nearly invisible. On other people, they appear as red dots.

The abdomen can be a sensitive area. I have heard two ideas as to who. One is that the center line of our body is where nerves from both sides meet. The other is that we are simply more sensitive in areas that might be “tickle-ish”.

To ask the electrologist to “turn down the volume” might result in regrowth in the treated follicles. While I encourage you to be an informed consumer, it really should be the electrologists determination of your treatment settings.

Antibiotic ointments can result in allergic reactions - just as aloe can. My advice would be to use ice after the treatment. A few minutes of ice - placed in a sandwich baggie and wrapped in a tissue - can aid healing.

Congratulations on your treatments completed! We love to hear it!

Scabbing can also be a result of using a needle that is too big for the area being treated. I’ve experienced that a needle with a diameter larger than 2 is bad for my face and will cause scabbing. Also, cataphoresis (reversing the direction of the current after the treatment) also helps.

Neosporin is good too and keeping it clean and no make up.

Slappy,

The well trained electrologist will probably use the right sized needle. Having the needle be too big would not be the cause of scabbing - unless the insertions are not accurate. Scabbing on the FACE will happen with some people on rare occasions, and is most likely from excess timing and high intensity - not needle size - unless it is from having too small of a needle. Electrologists must adjust timing and intensity to fit the needs of the follicle and the physics of the needle.

It sounded like the originator of this post had been happy with treatment on the face, but was surprised to have scabbing on the body - maybe I’m reading that wrong. The body can tolerate a little more intensity and timing than the face, and the ultimate goal is to get rid of the hair for good. So, scabbing can be expected in this area. One person might not ever notice it, and another can see it for around a week.

Using a size 2 probe on the face is not desirable for most unwanted facial hair. The smaller the probe, the hotter the probe, so yes, adjustments must be made in decreasing the intensity and timing. I only use a size 2 when working on the finer,longer hairs under the nose,but RARELY choose that size for other areas of the face.

I don’t like scabbing on the face, but if it happens,they should be very, very small and slough off in week or so. One does not need to worry or expect any damage from these pinpoint scabs. Leave them alone. They will fall off and all will be fine. Repeated larger scabs that take weeks to disappear can and should be controlled by making adjustments. This treatment outcome is not desirable, so the electrologist should “change the recipe” to avoid scabbing on the face.

I agree that scabbing on the body does occur and it is acceptable here as long as the scabs are not connected.

I personally do not advise for my clients to use Neosporin after electrolysis, since many people are allergic to it. Keep aftercare pure and simple and clean.

Scabbing on the face is sometimes unavoidable. The face and head have more capillaries and heal faster. This is why the face doesn’t scab like the body and also face hairs generally need less current.

Scabbing on the face is sometimes unavoidable. The face and head have more capillaries and heal faster. This is why the face doesn’t scab like the body and also face hairs generally need less current.

Plus, the face doesn’t have clothes rubbing against it like the body does. I had a few hairs removed from my nose with zero scabs. I’ve had my chest cleaned up with electrolysis and I had scabs there. Shirts rubbing against it I am sure was a factor. But I do not view scabbing as a problem. They are just pinpoints and they eventually fall off with no residual damage.

RJC2001