How many Units of Lye in pure galvanic electrolysis?

How many Units of Lye should be used in pure galvanic electrolysis?

I believe the chart in Arthur Hinkel book is for blend modality, not galvanic.

I read somewhere that the amount of lye should be increased 4x for galvanic. Does this sound right?

I was surprised to find almost no information on the subject. Maybe the “Units of Lye” metric is less useful in galvanic modality?

Should I ever see lye escaping from a hair follicle, or is this a sign of overtreatment? Would the escaped lye do any damage, or would it simply dissipate on the surface without doing much harm? If it does no harm then it should not be a big problem to overfill the follicle a little with lye, basically treating it until lye starts coming out.

Thank you.

How many units of lye needed depends on the size of the hair.

1 unit of lye = 0.1mA administered in 1 second. Use 1 unit of lye and release it and count seconds until your hair starts releasing that’s how much of units of lye needed. Villous hairs can take 15-20 units at 0.1mA, very corse hairs up to 80 units/seconds at 0.1mA.
Froth out of the follicle is normal and good sign. Froth from lye does not damage surrounding tissues. Damage occurs on deeper dermis layer if you use too much lye than needed.
Charts for multiple needle galvanic will have longer times because MNG machines are designed to release lower currents than single needle galvanic machines. You will find DC /units of lye chart from Michael Bono’s book.

this link has helpful info for single needle galvanic.

2 Likes

This answer by Fenix gets a big fat thumbs up from me. Very well explained Fenix.

Michael Bono’s book deals specifically with the blend modality. Would the Units of Lye stay the same regardless of whether or not RF is used?

In galvanic electrolysis, the amount of lye used is typically different from that used in blend modality. While I don’t have the specific information on the units of lye for galvanic electrolysis, increasing the amount of lye by 4 times sounds like a substantial increase. It’s important to note that lye escaping from a hair follicle is generally not desirable, as it may indicate overtreatment. It’s best to avoid overfilling the follicle with lye to prevent potential harm to the surrounding skin.

Yes the galvanic charts in his books represent single needle galvanic. The principles remain the same whether it’s blended with thermolysis or not. Once you establish good releases at 1 tenths mA, say at 40 seconds=40 units of lye, you can play around with time and intensity to increase the speed of treatment. UL= Intensity x Time.