How many joules?

Hi, there.

I am new to LHR but have learned a great deal from this site (thanks). Since I am checking out possible practitioners, I went recently for a consultation and test patch on my back. I have light skin and dark hair (probably a Type II)
The technician (an RN) tried some different settings but as I was not feeling any pain and she wasn’t seeing redness eventually had the Lightsheer set at about 22 joules. (The pain was still negligable at that setting.)

However, from some other postings here I’ve heard people talk about much higher settings, like 48 Joules. I realize this will vary depending on the person and skin type, but is 22 way too low to show results? I don’t want them to go way too low on me, resulting in many extra treatments needed over time.

What is a likely joule setting range for someone who is Type II?

Also, do you have any recommendations for someone good in the LA area?

Many thanks.

I am a type IV and have beent reated with the Lightsheer ET. I have had great results and have been treated at 45J. I had one treatment with a substitute technician at 28J which was totally ineffective. You have to be aggressive with the Lightsheer so having a qualified technician is very important.

Since you are a type II you may be able to handle 50 or more Joules. In my opinion 22J is way too low. I would bet that most of the people who are ideal candidates and have had poor results with lasers have probably been treated at too low of a fluence level.

Like I said before, the Lightsheer rules!

RJC2001

Hello am345

I have been through three rounds of LHR with the LightSheer and have progressed from 35- 40 Joules at a 100ms pulse width for my first treatment to 35 - 37 J at a 30ms pulse width by my third treatment. My skin is type 1 - 2 and my hair is very dense and black. At these fluences I have never experienced any crusting or after effects past 2 days. I tried a strip at 40J and 30 ms and had some minor discoloration that lasted almost 2 weeks so I have elected to stay at the current power levels. As each person seems to have different responses to the laser power I would suggest trial spots to determine the limits of your skin in each area of interest and then step back a joule or two to guarantee a safe treatment.
I agree that 22J is most likely to low as any areas treated on me at the lower fluences during testing grew back fully within 2 weeks.
It is my belief but in no way scientific that you need to be treated at as high a level of power as can be handled by your skin with no side effects. Sometimes pain will be a limiting factor other times the skin. For me pain is tolerable without any medication at the above fluences though certain areas do test my mettle. I have used my skins ability to handle the power as the determining factor in what level of fluence the laser treatments are done at.

I agree the LighSheer does rule.

Chris

I had my first full treatment (with the Lightsheer) last week, and my technician (also a RN) had the setting at 26J. I asked if that wasn’t a little low, and she said no, even though I have extremely light skin and very dark hair, she had to be a bit conservative as there was melanin in my skin that just wasn’t visible (is that possible?). Anyhow, I asked her what the maximum she treats people at is, and she said she usually treated people with very light skin and dark hair at 28J, and that she might treat me that high next time.

When I asked about people going 40+ she looked at me like I was crazy.

It’s been 4 days since my treatment, and I’m already seeing signs of regrowth (I don’t think it’s just shedding, because a lot of these hairs don’t just slide out when tweazed, but offer resistance to the tweazers).

Should I be trusting my technician on her treatment technique/settings (she does this full time and says she’s treated thousands of people) or should I be getting angry that I just wasted $1400??

Need_help

The setting of 26J may seem low but if you have very thick hair this might be a good number for your first attempt. Their first priority is to avoid burning your skin and as such they will error on the side of caution. Next time you go in ask for them to increase it, and allow them to do a trial patch at the higher numbers. Indications of overtreatment will usually manifest themselves within a few minutes to half an hour. This trial will assure them that you can handle the higher numbers without adverse side effects and allow you to get treatment in a effective manner.
I am finding that if I talk to them openly about my concerns of under treatment and describe to them in detail my skins reaction to the last treatment that they will increase the power levels a reasonable amount.
Take a level even handed approach to talking to them about this and most likely you will find that they are willing to try the higher levels.
As for hidden or non visible melanin, I have no clue if this is right?

Chris

[ December 15, 2002, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Balius ]

I always caution consumers not to compare their laser settings too closely to someone else’s. It;s usually not comparing apples to apples. You want to have the practitioner working at settings customized for your skin and based on their direct observation of how you respond. one person may require much higher joules than another for the same effect.