How long??

Hi! So happy to have found a board with so many informative people who really know their stuff! My question is this…I have been receiving electrolysis on a small spot on my chin for about 8 months now. So far, I have seen little results. I can’t seem to get a straight answer from the lady that provides this service for me, as to how long this actually should take to clear this area. She just says it varies with everyone, it’s not uncommon for it to be taking this long. She also has mentioned that since I had been plucking for years before starting treatment, it was hard to tell just how much hair was there. So, should I be looking to an alternative here or is it common to be taking this long? I hate to be spending $50 a month on something that is painful, and gives me unsightly red bumps each time if it may never completely free my chin of hair. Any reply would be appreciated!

Glad the site has been helpful! :smile:

Chin hair can be pretty hard to kill, especially if you had been plucking it. Sounds like you go 30 - 60 minutes a month, so there’s not a ton of hair. One clinical study on women’s armpits (Urushibata, 1995) found it took an average of 10 sessions spread over over 6 months to get all the hairs. Since chin hairs can be harder to kill, it may take a little longer. Still, by this time, you should see a noticeable difference in the amount of hair, and your sessions should take less time to clear that area.

[ November 03, 2002, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

I would suggest that if you are not seeing results by now…to have her re-adjust her settings by uping the hair type and timing if using the blend and by uping the hair type and maybe pulsing the Thermolysis. What is she using Thermolysis or Blend? Can you tolerate alot of current? Some women have just as coarse of hair on their chin as do men. You have to have them hairs release nice and smooth and not the feel of plucking or she may be doing just that. Let’s hope not. Good Luck