How long in between treatments on men's arm or back

Please give me some advice on how long between treatments on a man’s arm or back. I talked to a laser college who suggested 4 weeks for the 1st few treatments, and then spread out farther. Thanks in advance for your help.

4 weeks is way too early. i would suggest not to follow some arbitrary schedule. everyone’s different. since hair is killed most easily when it just comes out when it’s vulnerable, you need to get treated as soon as a new batch of hair comes out after your shedding and hairfree periods. for those areas, that’s usually 6-8 weeks to start and then 8-10 weeks apart after several treatments.

cpelvis, I’ve had about 20 treatments on my back. I would say that right now I have 80% reduction. My last treatment was 6 months ago, and regrowth has been stable since 2 months. The reason that I had 20 treatments was because my first 10 treatments were done with a very bad practitioner who used the Ligthsheer with a very low fluence and no compression. So the first 10 treatments were a waste of time. So then I went to another clinic and had 10 more treamtments with GentleLase and an IPL called Harmony. Now, to answer your question, when I had a treatment, the hair on my back usually grew back 5 weeks after treatment, and my treatments were spaced 6 weeks apart, so that meant that when I went to my next treatment my hair would have been growing for 1 week. The results were not that good, so I decided to wait 9 weeks between treatments. This meant that when I had my next treatments, the hair would have been growing for 4 weeks, since regrowth usually started at 5 weeks post-treatment. The results were much much better. I know this may sound strange, since most doctors and practitioners say that you have to go for a treatment as soon as the hair grows back. They say that hair is more vulnerable in the first weeks of regrowth. But I don’t agree with that. I’ve had more success when I’ve waited at least 4 weeks after regrowth. Maybe it’s because when my hair grows back it is very thin, but after 4 weeks it gets thicker.

Thanks for your help. I will probably use a gentlelase as 1 form of laser and am still searching for the 2nd. I will keep you posted.

cpelvis, I’ve had about 20 treatments on my back. I would say that right now I have 80% reduction. My last treatment was 6 months ago, and regrowth has been stable since 2 months. The reason that I had 20 treatments was because my first 10 treatments were done with a very bad practitioner who used the Ligthsheer with a very low fluence and no compression. So the first 10 treatments were a waste of time. So then I went to another clinic and had 10 more treamtments with GentleLase and an IPL called Harmony. Now, to answer your question, when I had a treatment, the hair on my back usually grew back 5 weeks after treatment, and my treatments were spaced 6 weeks apart, so that meant that when I went to my next treatment my hair would have been growing for 1 week. The results were not that good, so I decided to wait 9 weeks between treatments. This meant that when I had my next treatments, the hair would have been growing for 4 weeks, since regrowth usually started at 5 weeks post-treatment. The results were much much better. I know this may sound strange, since most doctors and practitioners say that you have to go for a treatment as soon as the hair grows back. They say that hair is more vulnerable in the first weeks of regrowth. But I don’t agree with that. I’ve had more success when I’ve waited at least 4 weeks after regrowth. Maybe it’s because when my hair grows back it is very thin, but after 4 weeks it gets thicker.

How did the Harmony work for you? Did they use the cooling system? What is your skin type. The Harmony worked surprisingly well on my upper legs, where the skin is lighter in color.

To answer the original question, I think 8 weeks is an optimal time interval for the arms and back. It is best to treat the hairs in early anagen, but you want to make sure there are enough hairs growing to make the treatment worthwhile.

RJC2001

RJC, I’ve had great results with the Harmony. A cooling system was used, and she also applied a cooling gel. I’ve had very good results on my back, abs, chest and forearms. I believe I got better results with the Harmony when compared to GentleLase. My skin type is between II - III. It is definetely a very good IPL machine.

Just to add to all the great response. The back, shoulders and arms are quite a large area when using a small headed machine like the CPL Novalight, so often the tech would miss a couple of spots. So what I did was I go for treatment, 3 weeks later I get all the spots and the areas around done for free. Then I wait about 8 to 10 weeks before the next treatment. Also like the other guy said the laser is more effective when the hair has growth out a bit and is a bit more coarse. Hope this helps

lawrence