how effective are rotary epilators?

im looking at the braun silkepil eversoft “body system”… it looks like a good one to buy for someone just starting out. and the trimmer attachment looks handy…

but i was wondering how effective the epilator could be if the individual tweezers are in a vertical arangement as they are demonstrated… do all models do this?
im guessing there are hairs inbetween that are missed… does this mean that going over multiple times is always necessary?
how much of that can your skin take without getting damaged? and how painful is that?

any advice?

thanx.

These devices are very good for arms and lower legs, harder on upper legs, and a little tricky on backs of legs. Use on other areas at your own risk-- it can hurt a bit in other areas.

You have to go slowly, but I can usually do my arms in 20 minutes, which lasts a month or two. Legs can take up to an hour if you haven’t done it in a while, but if you do it regularly, a few touch ups a month can usually suffice.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by hopeful:
<strong>im looking at the braun silkepil eversoft “body system”… it looks like a good one to buy for someone just starting out. and the trimmer attachment looks handy…

but i was wondering how effective the epilator could be if the individual tweezers are in a vertical arangement as they are demonstrated… do all models do this?
im guessing there are hairs inbetween that are missed… does this mean that going over multiple times is always necessary?
how much of that can your skin take without getting damaged? and how painful is that?

any advice?

thanx.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>hopeful:
Epilators have come a long way and some do work very well and don’t have pain.
I use a Emjoi Optima on every part of my body without any problems.
I’ve had 2 other epilators in the past(remington & philips) and they were great for pain and never did a good job but one day I found out about the Optima and have been happy ever since. Now if I get the $ I would do laser but until then.
I don’t know much about the braun but I believe they have a garantee so go ahead and try it, if after a few times within a few weeks, it doesn’t do well return.
Since I have been doing this for years now, I am very quick at it and don’t need any light to see, just feel.
The first time you wax/thread/epilate if will be uncomforable but after that it is easy to remove providing you continue within 3 weeks and so on.

I’ve been using an Emjoi Optima for about 4 weeks and I want to caution you not to believe those who say there is no pain - there definitely is!!

I don’t want to scare you off; I’m using my epilator regularly and I’m very pleased with the results, but I’m not one for misleading marketing claims. They use terms like ‘uncomfortable’ and ‘prickling sensation’. Let’s face it - if it hurts, it hurts! And rotary epilation hurts! After all, it’s pulling out hairs by the roots!

I’m a man, and certainly results and sensations may be different for men than women (as they will be between different men and different women) but you can’t pull out hair and feel nothing. After months or years of constant use the skin may become less sensitive (I’m not there yet so I can’t say) but now that all my body hairs are young (fresh grown from plucked follicles) the pain is less and I am getting used to it. Nonetheless, though I consider the results worth the ‘discomfort’, it still hurts.

Also, I don’t think I buy the marketing line by Emjoi that an epilator with two rotary heads ‘pulls the skin taut’. Two heads may be more efficient than one (twice the tweezing per stroke) but I can’t see any ‘pulling taut’ action occurring and it works just as well if I tilt it up and just use one head - in fact there are several places on my body where that’s the only way to get the tweezer disks to make contact with the skin.

Bottom line, though, is that it works, it’s fairly easy, the pain is tolerable and I love the result. Thanks to my Optima I’m truly a Smooth Operator!!

Hi Hopeful:

I have been using my Braun Silk-Epil (model 3370) since April 13 or 18 (see post “Correct way to epilate”) on my lower legs only. I may venture into other areas when after I feel more experienced. This is what I do: I shave my lower legs, then epilate over the next few days; epilating as much of my legs as I can stand. It’s not pain, I just find it time consuming. Anyway, when hair grows too long, shave again, then epilate. After epilating my legs are covered in red bumps! Looks so ugly! BUT! I apply Ocean Potion Instant Burn Relief Ice (aloe vera/Lidocaine/Tea Tree Extract) on my legs and it goes away relitively fast. Also, epilating has yet to give me hairless, smooth legs… I feel stubbly after every use. I am hoping that if I continue my routine, I’ll catch them all!

About the pain… I find that ankles and the back of my legs and knees are more sensitive then front and sides. The pain isnt unbearable and isn’t as bad as I was expecting.

Also - I recommend Paula’s Choice Skin Relief Treatment for razor burns/bumps and ingrown hairs. I find that it doesn’t sting like Tend Skin does.

Hope this helps.
~Lisa

Lisa:

<<<<<<<<<<I shave my lower legs, then epilate over the next few days; >>>>>>>>>>>

What your doing is, starting over and over and over and over you first time of epilating.
Meaning, that since you shave your hair, that hair folicole is the older one and the root is surely planted. If you continue to epliate, then each new hair folicole is that new, and not rooted and wil be removed very easy and without discomfort.
If you gonna remover hair you need to either shave or epilate not both toegther.

Argh!!! I was shaving because I missed hair and wanted to feel smooth. Great! I knew I was doing it wrong!! I thank you for correcting me!

~Lisa