Hormones

I did not know where to put this question so i just stuck it here because this was the first topic on the list. My question is this: Are there any signs other than excess body hair that might suggest that the excess body hair is caused by a hormonal imbalance? I was just wondering because I am curious why I have so much damn hair. My mother’s side of the family is pretty hairy, buy i seem to have much more of it than any of my relatives.
Also, if it is determined that the hair is the product of hormones, what types of treatments are there and how effective are they? My best guess is that the hair is just genetic and I have been hit especially hard by them, but I would like to be able to tell for sure.
Thank you in advance for any responses

[ February 14, 2003, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: shaun ]

Hi shaun-- yes, most hair-related characteristics are hereditary, especially from your mother’s side of the family. Hormone level issues are rare, and are usually accompanied by things like weight issues, glucose intolerance, or certain reproductive issues like PCOS.

If you have tried electrolysis or laser from a highly experienced practitioner and are not getting the expected results, it may be helpful to check hormone levels. It’s usually only the culprit in 1% to 2% of cases.