Hormonal imbalance in man...is it possible?

Hi from Italy!
Sorry for my bad english. I’ve got just one question: is it possible that excess hair grow in men too is the results of some kind of hormonal imbalance.

really thanks,
Sarac

Higher than average testosterone levels are associated with increased body hair and head hair loss. I think for a male, that this has no medical significance.

thank You. But what about DHT?

(Note: the following is NOT from a medical doctor and should not be accepted as anything more than my own opinion.)

Excess hair is a “symptom” in both men and women (not a disease itself). Women are the subjects of nearly all studies on “excess male hormones,” or hyperandrogenism.

The hair follicle is a “target” for male hormones and can be sensitive or less sensitive. For example, a man can have high testosterone, but if his follicles are not “sensitive” he will develop little hair. So, hair alone will not necessarily indicate high testosterone levels.

Generally, Italians have sensitive follicles (I know, I’m Italian too … family from Roma/Milano). We are in the “crescent of hair,” that includes Southern Europe, the Middle East and South Asia.

Still hyperandrogenism in males should not be summarily disregarded. My scant reading on the internet shows the condition can alter insulin utilization. Also, high testosterone can create “too many red blood cells,” called polycythaemia and erythrocytosis. And, this would be ME!

All my life, my red cells were slightly “out of range” … too high (also high testosterone). As one doctor told me, “it’s like having too much money in the bank.” I have “Lance Armstrong” levels (but naturally). This has given me very good endurance in, say, long swimming events or other types of athletic situations. Even at age 65, I easily completed a 6-mile ocean race in cold rough water. (Red cells carry oxygen and therefore the muscles stay well supplied.)

The down-side is that a couple times my red cells got so high that my pulse rate went “sky high" (resting pulse rate of 120), and increased blood pressure. The heart goes “overtime” to pump the “thicker blood.” To remedy this, I have to donate blood now and then. Very simple, and it works fine. (Actually, I hate donating blood. Now, THAT’S a needle! But it’s a good thing.)

I would say that if you have no “blood sugar” issues, normal pulse and blood pressure … but just hair … you are probably fine (see “note” above).

Oh, and welcome to the “brotherhood of the hair!” ‘CUMBA!

Ciao da Roma, Cumba!
My blood test are normal, and my pressure and pulse are ok.
But i never do hormanal tests. What about thyroid?

PS
Sorry for my poor english :frowning:

Ciao

It is all connected. Thyroid has effects on hair, Diabetes has effects on hair. I don’t know that I would put anything into doing the hormonal tests, as the so-called “range of normal” they use is pretty useless. They don’t find out what would be normal for you, they just say, “That’s within the realm of human possibility”, collect their fees and send you home. You might get a prescription for a drug as a consolation prize.