Home laser kits

Are there any available or on the horizon ?

There are some very low-power devices available, but they will probably not result in permanent hair removal.

You can buy a pro unit off eBay right now. The U.S. government has done a terrible job of keeping these medical devices in trained hands, so now anyone with enough money can open up a salon in the local strip mall and start blasting away.

I tell people that all the time, and they don’t believe me. But you are right. Pro units can be bought at auction on Ebay right now.

Hi,
I am looking for a reliable and affordable home laser kit. What’s the brandname of the one at Ebay? Any suggestions where to get one and for what price?
Thanks,
Lotte

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by Mike77:
<strong>Are there any available or on the horizon ?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by James W. Walker VII, CPE:
<strong>I tell people that all the time, and they don’t believe me. But you are right. Pro units can be bought at auction on Ebay right now.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>

As I said before, “home lasers” are almost invariably scams. The few that are available through a doctor are too low in power to achieve a permanent result. The rest of them are absolutely worthless, especially the ones sold on Global Electrolysis Supply’s site.

Lasers on eBay are abut US$10,000 to $35,000.

1. Go to eBay at http://www.ebay.com/
  2. type in laser hair removal
    Here’s the current listings on 2/5/03:
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=laser+hair+removal
    Lightsheer EP New in 1/02
    $39,995.00
    $44,995.00 (Buy it now price)
    Asclepion MedioStar HC Hair Removal Laser NR
    $24,995.00
    $27,995.00 (Buy it now price)
    MedioStar Diode for Laser Hair Removal $19,500.00

Cynosure Apogee 40 Hair Removal Laser ALEX
$9,995.00
$17,995.00 (Buy it now price)
If you watch a lot, you can often see them go for ten to 20 grand.
By the way, products available on eBay are frequently total scams. I see a couple of devices from the scum at Global Electrolysis Supply, a Permanex scam, a ton of IGIA and e-Pen scams, Epil-stop garbage, etc., etc., etc.
Don’t buy on eBay till you’ve done your research!

What about calibration and regular maintenance. I would be very hesitant to touch or use any of these machines, before being sure it is maintained properly. I imagine you need a service contract with the manufacturer (or a contractor). That could cost a lot of money (annually). Just another cost that I thought people may want to consider, if buying their own machine. I don’t know how much this cost is.

Home laser of the strength needed to be effective would be very dangerous in the wrong hands… Here is an example… :grin:

Did you get a home laser for XMAS? (1 MB video file)

Cheers,

David

[ February 05, 2003, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: IHH ]

Poor grandma! :wink:

As I noted in the News forum, Gillette and Palomar are working on a home-use laser project. Unlike the other products out there, this one is being developed by two reputable companies with plenty of experience in hair removal. Gillette was also involved with Vaniqa topical cream, which has now been spun off to Women First Healthcare.

At this time, any devices available for home use have not been demonstrated to be permanent. In addition, the only devices cleared for home use by FDA require a doctor’s prescription. They appear to be too low power to cause permanent hair reduction.