Home business electrolysis - done correctly? PLEASE HELP!

I was going to a woman (recommended by friends) who does electrolysis at her home for about 11 weeks (1x/week) to have my hairline evened out on the back of my neck. My last visit was last week. From the research I’ve done online, I am pretty sure she uses the galvanic method. My questions: Am I supposed to hold that metal probe in my hand? It is wrapped in a wet piece of gauze. I feel a “buzzing” while she does it, feels kind of like hitting your funnybone. Additionally, my shoulder/arm will wig out and start jumping and twitching uncontrollably and I have no control over it. Is this normal? Finally, is she supposed to be tweezing the hair afterwards?

I have no idea if this is being done right. I have seen a change in hair growth, but not a lot. I think that is mainly b/c she wasn’t going up far enough, even though I told her to. That is the main reason why I stopped going to her. I was being charged $16/15 minutes. She never used the machine more than 5. The probe looked like a wet q-tip on the end that touched my hair and she kinda just rubbed it along the hair, then rubbed something on my neck and I was done.

Please help, as I am looking for another person in my area and I want to make the right choice!!

It sounds like she’s using some sort of non-invasive method.

I’m not sure on the reliability of these methods - I think there’s quite a bit on HairFacts about them. (And I don’t think they’re very complimentary.)

The only way to get permanant hair clearance is to destroy the root of the hair. That means you have to get some sort of payload to the bottom of the follicle. With professional electrolysis, that’s done by inserting a metal probe into the follicle, and delivering an electrical current to destroy the blood supply to the hair.

With some types of pro-electrolysis (blend and galvanic), you have to hold an electrode (usually wrapped in a damp cloth to improve conductivity).

And, yes, you do need to remove the treated hair - though it should pretty much slide out without tugging too much.

15 minute sessions are a bit of a strange thing - you spend so much time getting prepared and cleaning up afterwards that you do only end up with about 5 minutes being treated.

You are getting ripped off by a scam. Probably Rejuvenu’s Super Phaser Gold or an earlier model like the TE 629 or TE 829 series.

Definitely go somewhere else and tell your friends to avoid that place. If you find out the device the practitioner is using, I can give you more details.

Thanks for you reply Andrea! From what I could find online, I am almost positive she was using a machine called the V2R-G. http://www.global-electrolysis-supply.com/V2RG.htm

Do you know anything about that machine? Is there supposed to be what looks like a q-tip at the end of the probe that touches my hair? When she ran it across the hair, it sounded like a razor was cutting my hair. The first thing she’d do was rub something on the area, give me the probe to hold wrapped in damp gauze, and after she finished, she’d wipe my neck again w/ something. She told me that the hair would be falling out and I’d see it on my pillow. Something about the stages of hair growth, etc. I’ve read a lot online but haven’t seen anything that resembles my experience, as far as procedure, pain, etc. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks Toni for your reply! What do you mean by “pro-electrolysis”? How tiny is the metal probe you have to insert into the follicle? Wouldn’t this be a very time consuming task, given the area to be treated? I’m wondering because from what I have read, my experience was completely different from the norm.

The probe looked like a wet q-tip on the end that touched my hair and she kinda just rubbed it along the hair, then rubbed something on my neck and I was done.

What you had done is not electrolysis. Not the right kind that removes hair permanently. It’s one of the “non-incasive” BS machines that are being sold to beauty salons and the public with false claims of permanency.

Toni is right in saying that only a insertion method can permanently kill the root of the hair and prevent it from ever growing again. Everyone here will tell you that YOU HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF, but better to have learned that now than a year later when you spent a lot more money.

And those friends who recommended her, did they get permanent results (you can only establish that after 1 or 1.5 years after treatment is done. if by then you still have no re-growth, then you picked the right person and method)

What she was doing on you is called “transdermal electrolysis” and she was basically electrocuting the surface of your skin which is why you felt and heard the zapping.

Read about your method here:
“Transdermal Electrolysis”

And about other “Doubtful methods” so that you know what is out there.

Read the whole section on Electrolysis and hair removal on the www.hairfacts.com web site before you spend any more of your money. Learn how to find yourself a good electrolysist.

Electrolysis IS time consuming but that is why it’s very important to find an experienced professional who can work safely (not damage your skin or burn it) and fast.

Where do you live? People here can recommend professionals to you.

Thanks for you reply Andrea! From what I could find online, I am almost positive she was using a machine called the V2R-G. http://www.global-electrolysis-supply.com/V2RG.htm

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh… No kidding! Global Electrolysis Supply!

The woman you went to is most likely not scamming people like you on purpose. She bought into the false claims of that company and really believes that the machine she paid for can do the job.

If you want to know everything about this company and the horror stories of other customers like yourself (and your electrolysis apparently), go here:

Global Electrolysis Supply WARNING

Consumer Complaints

Ripped Off - Please help

THANK YOU EVERYONE for helping me learn more about this!! I will def. check out the links you provided and educate myself more so I can choose a competent electrologist!

I live in Hartford County, Connecticut…so if anyone has any recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it!