Hinkel UC3+, Galvanic or Thermo plug in?

Hey everyone! I’m just posting for the first time so, sorry if it is a little rusty. I’m a new electrologist, just graduated my training program and in the midst of finding a space to start up my clinic (a little tough during covid, but kind of nice to have a slow, not SUPER stressful start). I bought a hinkel UC3+ Machine and trained on it. However, my instructor had a Silhouette tone so she wasn’t super familiar with how the Hinkel machine works. It has the option of being a 2 pedal, but I only bought one pedal as it can be used with just one pedal. The manual only specifies how to use it with 2 pedals, no comments about how to use it with one pedal. This brings up a big question… do I plug it in on the Galvanic or the Thermolysis side? I’m primarily going the blend method. With the Galvanic side my settings make a bit of sense (Usually around 3 galv, 8-12 sec, 35-50 thermo gets the job done) and I’ve had several clients extremely happy with their results after even just a few treatments (with no reaction aside from some redness). My theory instructor however said it should be plugged in to the thermolysis side but when I have it plugged in here my thermolysis setting has to be way higher before I get a hair to release. Does anyone have advice on what side they plug it in and what their settings kind of look like?

The reason I ask is I worry that my settings may burn someone. I’ve had issues already with tiny white pustules on the face. One instance of that was when my practical instructor was treating me recently. We used the same settings that we’ve used before. I’ve never reacted before but this time I did. The only thing that was different this time was that we used denova to clean my face first. Up until now we’ve been using cool mist. So part of me wants to think it’s the denova (which was used to clean the other 2 times I’ve had this reaction on a client) but I know a lot of electrologists use denova with no issue. The other 2 clients who had this reaction were both new to electrolysis, but like I said, I had this reaction too and I’ve had it done multiple times with no reaction like this.

Any advice would be very VERY appreciated. I really want to figure out what I’ve got wrong so that I can improve before treating paying clients.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi there!
I’ve been using my Hinkel UC3+ with one pedal for over two years and have been getting really great results.

I plug the single pedal into the Thermolysis side, and I set the “pedal/test” button to “one”.

I personally prefer to use the “UC blend” setting with the timer that beeps when I am doing Blend. The thermolysis heats up the follicle and with correct manual settings I always see a nice flower of lye. Even those tough hairs slide out smoothly! My blend settings tend to be higher than what you’ve described, but I work with a lot of coarse facial hairs.

For thermolysis, I also keep the “pedal/test” button on “One” and select the “Flash” setting. I keep my pedal plugged into thermolysis for flash as well and I would agree that the Thermolysis setting would usually be higher than 30-35…I find anything lower than 50 is quite low. I stay within the 45-75 range, but 75 is quite high and usually reserved for genital surgery prep.

There’s quite a few ways to use this machine properly, so if other electrologists use it differently that is totally fine.
These are just the settings I prefer so far.

Hope that is helpful!

2 Likes

I think Michael Bono would be a great reference for this, but I suspect you would need two peddles since you intend to use galvanic and thermolysis. I’ve been looking for a machine like this. I’m absolutely devoted to the lye-producing modalities but love the speed of thermolysis. I think the two peddles gives you a bit more control.

1 Like

So do you ever plug it into the galvanic input ? Or always just thermolysis??and what would your settings be if it was a chin thick hair? Using the “UC Blend” how many seconds? If it’s set for 45 galvanic (electrolysis) 30 thermolysis

1 Like