High Protein Diet

I was recently told that high-protein diets affect hair growth. That person said that, other than due to genetics, one’s body hair may also flourish due to increased protein intake. I am practically a meat-eater (not a cannibal). Could I be able to reduce my body-hair’s rate of growth by eating less meat?

I would also love to know the answer to this question as im currently trying to be healthy and eat a high protein/high fibre diet with things like eggs, salmon etc

I will look into this further, but from what I know, diets high in sugars, corn syrup and artificial sweeteners cause more hair growth than protein. In fact, one of the signs of diabetes is increased body hair growth and new growth in places where one never had it before.

By the way, for best metabolism, separate your starches from your proteins. That means no sandwiches, as bread has stachey carbs. Make your breakfast a protein and green veggie, and have 2 starch based meals a day where you pack in your fiberous carbs with things like oatmeal, carrots, rice, lima beans and so on.

Lastly, try to eat at least every 3 hours and keep the calorie intake equal at each meal. Oh and DRINK YOUR WATER!

No, it doesn’t and/or shouldn’t affect hair growth.

I am an avid weightlifter and I consume between 250-300g of protein daily (I track my calories everyday) and I have been eating this way for at least 5 years. I haven’t noticed any difference in my hair growth. Also, think of all the bodybuilders out there consuming super high protein diets. Nobody has complained about a difference in their body hair (other than those individuals who are using anabolic agents).

How do artificial sweetners affect hair growth? Is it just nutrasweet or splenda also (since splenda is part natural sugar) I drink a lot of crystal light so I don’t consume too many calories as just drinks. Does anyone know any websites that explain this? What about natural fructose like from fruit or fruit juice? I read somewhere that carbs in general can cause hair growth. Why is it better to keep starches seperate from protein?

If you really want to read a good book on all that get The Diet Cure by Julia Ross. The follow up, The Mood Cure is good as well. As for web sites for info on how horrible artificial sweeteners are to your body, since I learned what I know from reading books, it is hard for me to tell you sites to go to, however, in the case of Aspartame, it is very entertaining and terrifying to do a google search on “aspartame donald rumsfeld”. The Carter administration had given aspartame a very limited and conditional clearance, and was about to resind that clearance, and ban it. Stalling tactics (including getting an FDA commissioner to resign) kept that from happening long enough for the Reagan administration to take over and next thing you know, instead of being banned, Aspartame has an expanded scope and full clearance.

Since the reason one has problems with hormones and such with artificial sweeteners is the body’s insulin responce, no non-caloric sweetener would be safe from this occurance. Stop trying to trick your body and just feed it good food, drink enough water, keep your electrolytes up, take some time to do something for yourself (like a one hour walk or a 20 minute workout) and be healthy and happy.

1 Like

What should I do to keep my electrolytes up? Does the Diet Cure talk about hair growth from fake sugars or insulin? Is it ok to eat some normal sugar? I just don’t want to aggravate this problem of hair growth but still want to enjoy life, so I guess I want to know how much is ok. What do you recommend to drink b/c fruit juice still will spike insulin levels. Also what is the reasoning behind seperating starches and proteins? Can exercising actually lead to less hair growth from hormonal or hereditary issues? Thanks so much for your help!

James is definately the nutrition expert here, so I’m sure he’ll answer…

Regarding a high protein diet, it should not cause excess hair. If a person were to carb-starve with high protein, then the person could loose hair - in the wrong place - their scalp. Many people would look at that and say the high protein did it - when it was lack of the nutrients and/or fuel needed to grow hair.

Exercising can help women with hair problems. I’ve had many women with chronic hair growth who lose weight by walking or other exercise and then stop needing treatments. Then, I see them again when they’ve gained the weight back. These women have the apple shaped body that goes with Syndrome X - high blood pressure, fertility problems, excess hair growth, insulin resistance or diabetes. They change the shape of their body and then have less hair - they change it back and grow more hair.

As I said, I recommend reading the book. I am sure it is available at your library, or you can get it online, or from your local book seller. You may have to special order it, and wait up to a week, but you can get it in your area.

Your body is a balancing act. You need to drink the proper amount of water, eat on schedule (and the same amount of calories per meal would help) and regulate salt and sugar in relation to the amount of WATER one drinks. Now think about the amount of water the average American drinks, (or should I say doesn’t drink) and you may see immediately why they are having so much trouble with salt and sugars.

Your electrolytes are regulated via minerals, mineral salts, and ingredients found in fruits and vegetables. Since the average american won’t eat the amount of fruits and vegetables they should, they have too few electrolytes, which makes their body less capable of absorbing the little water they drink, and their bodies swell up from the salt and sugar they ingest, abcent the proper amount of water.

So, if one eats a broccoli, spinach, banana, apple, and an orange during the day (not necessarily at the same time) one can combat this. Fruit juice is only a convenience over whole fruits, they are easier to store and carry. What people usually don’t do is drink water in addition to fruit juices. For electrolytes, 4 oz of fruit juice and 16 to 20 ounces of water would be fine. Of course, if that 16 to 20 ounces of water is all the water you have that day, you are in trouble. Just make sure you drink the water within 30 minutes of drinking the fruit juice.

As Barbara said, your body needs protein. It also needs fiber (another neglected thing in the American Diet) and it needs electrolytes and the water to service all these things in the body. Without water and fiber, a lot of your food is just on a one way trip straight through your, with no stops at the parts of the body that need the nutrients you are supposed to be eating food for.

As for the separation of protein and starches, it makes the metabolism work faster, and maximizes the nutrient delivery system, and reduces or eliminates internal bloating and fermintation.

In the same way, diet and exercising CAN reduce some of the causes of unwanted hair growth, in many situations. A person who eliminated artificial sweeteners, and started on a good schedule of eating and drinking with consistent activity would increase muscle mass, which would reduce fat mass, and reverse diabetes, which would halt production of new unwanted hairs due to the diabetic chain reaction.

1 Like

instead of going on diet, try Tripollar. this new technology works well for your hair and skin. it uses fr technology, recently they sell it for home use, the technology was available only at the clinics up until 4 months ago.
try stop2pose.com stop2pose.com

NO. When i used to frequent gym for weight lifting antics which i have now taken up again from a long break…i consumed a high amount of protein. However doing heavy weights deadline squat etc releases growth hormone…this in my opinion does affect hair growth. Protein will make your hair healthy as its naturally broken down etc for various body mechanism and uses but shouldnt produce MORE hair.

A protein diet is the best option if we are trying to lose weight.
My weight loss protein diet-
Breakfast -3 boiled eggs+ 1 apple+green tea
lunch- omelet/chicken soup
Dinner- oats
an aminoacid like meat, poultry, fish, dairy, soy, legumes, buckwheat, quinoa, etc.