Help! Which school and start up cost for new business

I’m seriously considering giving up the corporate world to start a business helping others build confidence through electrolysis. I myself have been a client for 5 years.

I’m in AZ and found 2 schools nearby. One in Corona, California and the other in Houston, TX. Anyone attend either one? Any likes or dislikes?

I’m also doing a cost analysis to start my home based business. Has anyone ever expressed hesitation with going to someone’s home? I go to someone’s home and it never bothered me. A friend brought this to my attention. Store front vs. home base?

I figured I’ll need $25,000 to start. This includes school, accommodations for the hands on learning portion, electrolysis machine (apilus), bed, domain name, ointments, probes etc…does this sound right. Thanks in advance!

Why would you consider an electrology school. You need no license in Arizona. There are a few amazing electrology clinics in your State that would be happy to train you. (However, the school in Corona is a fine school and I know the wonderful and savvy owners. I don’t know the Houston school.

Yes even though AZ doesn’t require licensing, I want to make sure I’m doing everything correctly. I want to learn on the latest equipment and obtain a license so I can be board certified.

Looks as if the school in Corona is affiliated with Dectro. I gather from everything I’m reading, Dectro is the leading academy in this field?

1 Like

I prefer schools that are not dealers for a specific machine brand so the student can try them all. This way you can make your own decision. I like to choose my own path rather than having it chosen for me.

1 Like

I’m not certain, but I don’t know if any school is divested from a particular machine manufacturer? The schools get a “cut” when they sell a machine.

Yes they do. My thought is a school with a variety of machines from different manufacturers. This gives the student a choice rather than having a specific machine brand pushed on the student.

1 Like

I agree with you too … which schools are “machine/modality neutral?” I only know a few schools, and they are all connected to a specific manufacturer.

Perhaps it was an illusion the school I attended was equipment neutral. At least this was my perception at the time (1980) because we had machines from a variety of manufacturers. The school could have had deals with all of them.

On the issue of schools … while I have no regrets about my training, had I known Hinkel was still going I would have chosen his school in Los Angeles. At the time I assumed he had been dead for many years.

The HInkel school was a wonderful experience. Art was, however, still in deep depression about the horrible death of his son Tony (surfing accident and body not found for a week). Still we had great conversations on a variety of issues.
However, like most schools, we learned manual blend using the machines that he produced. My first machine was a vacuum tube unit (obsolete within a few years) … however, the HF the vacuum-tube machine produced was ‘softer’ than the solid state units. The price for a new Hinkel machine was $850 at the time.

Michael has given you good advice regarding schools. I wouldnt want to have a mnufacturer lead school either.
As for startup costs, there is some advantage to starting from a clinic. The advantage is establishing your reputation more quickly through the exposure the store front gives you. But it’s a hard slough and marketing does not come easily for most folks. . I love working from my home, and I get to keep more of what I make not spending it all on expenses. But having that official looking presence is an advantage early on. As for the costs themselves, I went through most of $60000 in my first year with equipment renovations to office space, and just supporting yself and family while I established a clientele. Avoid groupon like the plague, it’s not worth it. And leverage your relationships with target groups like transgender outreach programs, and yes arabic clientele who tend to become a large part of electrologists clientele.

I remember those vacuum tube units well, especially the model-D (my first machine) … Naugahyde wrapped wood cabinet, no RF shielding, and that bold faceplate and huge knobs that looked like something out of Frankenstein’s laboratory. I never knew vacuum-tube-generated RF was less harsh compared with solid-state, however, it does make sense. Tubes in high-end audio equipment produce a softer less harsh sound compared with transistors.

Yep, I had the same machine … it looked like a dehydrated alligator.

Oh, it did indeed. A strange-looking contraption if there ever was one.

Did you go to a school? Which one? Where you happy with your choice? Did you find one that used several brands of machines? What about multi-needle galvanic?

I appreciate your insights on starting a business in electrolysis. It’s wonderful that you’ve taken your personal experience as a client into consideration as you embark on this new venture. Choosing the right school is a critical decision, and it’s great that you’ve found options in different locations.

Your estimated startup cost of $25,000 seems reasonable, considering the various expenses involved such as training, equipment, supplies, and setting up your workspace. It’s important to have a detailed financial plan in place to ensure your business’s success.

As you navigate this journey, you might find that using online task management software could greatly assist in keeping your operations organized and efficient. It’s a dynamic tool that can help you manage tasks, appointments, and client interactions.