HELP! (Tipping etiquette)

First, I have read that it’s not customary to tip for electrolysis.

My Electrolysist has a tip line but when I asked she said it wasn’t necessary because I would be seeing her often.

I had to cancel my appointment today but she was able to get me in with an electrolysist that she recently shared a practice with (they downsized and went their separate ways).

Do I tip this electrolysis? She got me in last minute, but I don’t want to be rude, especially when I don’t tip the person I see regularly.

I am an electrologists and I do not expect to be tipped if I am treating a client that has PCOS or a medical condition that causes unwanted hair growth (facial hair, breast or treasure trail) I do not take a tip from my clients. Period, even if they insist.

If I am treating an area like legs, arms, brows… if someone wants to tip I will let them but it’s not mandatory.

I do not take tips from my clients.

I do. Many of my clients realize that I’m struggling after only a year in business and a few, just like to tip.Some of them are amoung my oldest clients. But many dont and that’s ok too, it’s never expected.MAny struggle with the rates for electrolysis and toadd tip on would be an additional hardship upon them.We are however a service industry and if a client wants to tip, I wont offend them by refusing it.

Thanks everyone! I stressed for nothing. She was in a hurry to get me out for her next patient and asked for the amount and shooed me out the door. I felt so rushed I just grabbed the cash she asked for 😳

My electrologist has a tip basket that is a regular feature near the entrance to her studio. I generally throw in a $10 for a 45-minute appointment. It definitely doesn’t hurt to tip, although she says they’re not required.

Since I don’t tip I was thinking I would give a big gift when I am finished.

are there more thoughts on tipping here?

i was not sure what to do but my husband said any time anyone is doing a service and they do it well, you should tip them…

my lady is great - her bedside manner is impeccable and she truly cares.
my first session i gave her 20 (30 min session but was with her for over an hour) and recent session 25 b/c we ran over a bit (chatting a lot on the front end going through all my questions 30 min actual session but over an hour total).

now i feel like i have set an expectation that I will give 20 each time - do you think if it’s a little less some days that is OK and she won’t think anything of it? asking for an electrologists opinion?

Tessa there is definitely nothing wrong with giving a tip if you feel it’s deserved. I personally dont ask for tips. I dont expect them. A lot of people struggle to pay my rates in a city that is already expensive as heck to live in. But if one is offered I will and do accept. Some people it makes them feel good and I also feel I would feel i was slighting someone if I refused an offered tip. But at the end of the day, I dont live off my tips I live off what is earned delivering a quality treatment.It might be different if I were say a waitress , but as an electrologist I do command a high salary for what is essentially sticking a needle in skin all day :slight_smile:

I never understood why I am expected to tip my hairdresser/stylist when what she does is temporary and why an electrologist who performs a procedure that offers permanent hair removal, which is a miracle life saver for clients, does not get tipped. I poo-poo tips for myself, but then I resent when I have to tip the person that cuts my hair, knowing I’ll be back doing this again in 6-8 weeks.

I do not regularly tip but I gave my person a tip at Thanksgiving and then a larger one at a Christmas.

1 Like

I always tip my electrologist. She has low prices and does a great service. So why not?

1 Like