HELP! Strong reaction after electrolysis

White pimples after electrolysis

Hi everyone,

So I have been getting electrolysis for about 5 months now and my electrologist seems very knowledgeable and clean. He uses those large microscopes to see the hair really up close and I’ve seen him be very clean, wear gloves and sterilize everything.

However, I always seem to form these large red pimple like bumps on my neck with white dots every time I have a session. They go away after a week and I don’t seem to have a problem after but I have to hide myself for at least 3 days until it calms down.

I usually go every 3-4 weeks and we can usually do a full clearance on my face. I have pcos but the hair is not too thick. After the first 3 sessions the really thick hairs disappeared and now I just have velus hairs but they are dark and noticeable.

I have discussed this with my electrologist and he says the white spots and bumps are normal for a few days after the session. What can I do to prevent them? Can they cause scarring later on?

White pustule formation is common, normal and never cause scarring. It’s your body’s natural process of healing mechanism. Basically dead cells and gunk in treated follicles clog up and come to surface. As you state they go away within a week which is normal time frame. Basic face wash, medicated witch hazel, or calamine lotion or tea tree oil help, but as long as you don’t get more irritation from these products.

If you also want to take extra steps to prevent the pustules, try putting your hair in a hair cap for a few days when you sleep at night till it stops being red after your treatment. Also getting a clean pillow case helps a lot too. Try to avoid touching the areas if you can while healing, if you do make sure to wash your hands prior too! Washing the area with gentle anti-bacterial soap helps also :smiley:

While i’m still learning about this in school, this is normal reaction you are seeing, you just need to baby it for a little till the skin heals!

Hope these things help you!

This is why I like to use dabs of tea tree oil, followed by cold-pressed organic refrigerated aloe vera gel immediately after treatment and then for three nights after that.

Some people are prone to develop white pustules, but sometimes that can be avoided by adjusting the energy level used and making sure that the full hair is removed. If any little pieces are left behind in the follicle, then little pimples can form as part of the inflammation process to rid the follicle of the foreign matter.

If you stand in the shower and let the warm water pour over your skin, many of the pustules disappear.

Always come to your sessions with skin that has been washed with soap and water.

The tiny wounds close in about 24-48 hours, so use your aftercare products. I do think your electrologist will make some adjustments now that you have given him feedback. We always like to change up some things if we think we can control some of these skin reactions better.

1 Like

i apply Betadine (povidone-iodine) on client skin before electrolysis hair removal procedure. If clients cannot use this, then i wipe their skin with sterile water from ampoule.

Sometime (20% of all my clients), some clients still hv got infection just like your photo. But i believe it has got nothing to do with MY electrolysis procedure, but their hair or pillow case

2 Likes