Help please with Sterex SX B

Hi all,

I’ve just purchased a second hand Sterex sx B and Im at a loss as to what may be wrong.
I have thoroughly researched this machine and watched countless videos on its use, I also read through the enclosed instruction book thoroughly.
I have had electrolysis at salons for many years so I know the feeling when a probe is inserted and current applied, when I insert a probe with this machine, I feel nothing, even with the galvanic turned up to 75, I feel nothing. I have gone through all the machine testing as recommended by sterex and I have used different probes but to no avail, there is nothing even though the light comes on when the foot pedal is depressed. Could this machine be faulty or am I doing something wrong? thank you in advance

The Sterex SXB is a blend epilator. For the RF portion of the machine, you can purchase a small test kit with an LED light from Texas Electrolysis Supply 800-626-6025. If the light glows, you have RF current. First, test for current coming directly out of the machine at the BNC connector. Turn on your machine. Adjust RF intensity to maximum and timing to maximum or manual mode. Place the ice-pick like prong into the hole of the BNC connector. Depress the foot pedal and see if the LED light glows. If it glows, the machine is producing current. If it does not glow, you have a dead machine. If the light glows, next test the needle cord. Connect the needle cord to the BNC connector, unscrew the needle cap and gently place the probe into the center of the chuck. Remember, be gentle. Too much pressure will permanently damage the prongs. Once again depress the foot pedal and see if the LED glows. If the light glows, you should have currently output at the needle. If the light does not glow, you have a bad needle cord. Even if the light glows when you test the needle cord tip, twist and turn the needle cord and see if the light flashes or turns off and on. If it does you have a bad needle cord. This test also requires the ground wire with alligator clips to be connected to any metal part of the machine. NOTE: Move the RF intensity up and down. You should observe a corresponding increase and decrease in light intensity.

You can also perform the egg white test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB4EhZ0AJLw&t=11s to see if coagulated egg white forms around the needle. I believe you can also test the machine and cords by using a small 7-watt light bulb, but I am not familiar with the specifics. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this.

Because the SXB does not have a milliamp meter and the galvanic levels are arbitrary numbers on the machine, there is no way to tell how much, if any galvanic current is flowing through the circuit. For galvanic, make sure you are holding the inactive electrode and have timing on max or manual. Insert the needle into hair on your arm or hand depress the foot pedal and increase the intensity and see if you feel anything. Good luck.

If you haven’t already, you can refer to this instructional video to check the wiring of the needle holder and indifferent rod leads.

If there are no issues, the next potential fault would be with the connection between the probe and the metal inside the probe holder. I’ve seen old and well used Sterex probe holders fail in this way before. Take the plastic probe holder away from the lead, blow inside to clear out any dust or dirt and make sure the lead is properly connected to the probe holder. Make sure a probe is properly inserted and then try again. If you have multiple probe holders, try switching them and see if that makes any difference.

I’ll assume you’re also making body contact with the indifferent rod, but I guess it’s a common mistake to forget it?

1 Like

Thanks so much for your replies guys.,
Both of you I think have resolved the issue, in that I know believe its the probe holder itself that is defective.
Scurvy I found that video whilst searching for possible fixes on you tube, however I didnt follow the testing properly and didnt disconnect the probe lead from the bottom of the probe holder. When testing the probe lead connector the light is green however when testing with the probe holder attached, no light, so I can only guess its the needle/probe holder thats faulty. It was strange that the machine came with a switched probe holder and when looking at new models they come with an unswitched holder (probably because the machine comes with a foot pedal) I wonder if this in itself has caused any problem, ie there being two current starters which cancel one another out, but somehow doubt it as I tried to start current with both the switch and pedal in dependent of each other
I am very fortunate in that I bought this machine from an Ebay seller who actually services these machines and he is going to send me a replacement unswitched probe holder to see if this solves the issue

I really appreciate both of your speedy and knowledgeable replies, what a fantastic place to discover information,experience and understanding, thanks again guys, will report back when I receive needle holder
Xinte

If you want to see precisely how much galvanic current you are using, you can purchase an external milliamp meter, The meter itself is larger than found on any machine. It uses banana jacks. Connect the meter to the inactive (hand-held) jack on the machine, then plug the inactive electrode into the meter:
https://www.schoolspecialty.com/frey-scientific-dc-milliammeter-0-1-ma-1477772?gclid=CjwKCAiAlb_fBRBHEiwAzMeEdqJP_Rxk5BjDW0q8WRT9pWxkVbyqbmMV2db1LK5_CA5fN0IjiOrssxoCeIoQAvD_BwE

Thank you Hairadicator, that looks interesting indeed, I will look if there are any versions available in the UK,
On receiving the replacement needle holder from the seller, it seems that this was the problem, not the whole thing, lead and holder, just the holder itself,
I thank you all again for taking the time to reply and for helping me figure out what was wrong, now all I need is some good magnification to enable me to work on myself, but for that, I think I should ask for help by starting a new thread, cheers me dears.

I am beginning my electrologist training with a Sterex SX-B machine and have found the push button switch on the probe holder handle can be problematic. I’m looking to invest in a nonswitched probe holder/handle since the footswitch is all I desire and the “extra failsafe” supposed feature of having to also mash a hard to press button on the probe holder while trying to keep your hand steady and insert a tiny probe alongside a hair shaft down into a follicle with precision and dexterity, is a ridiculously outlandish concept. The pushbutton completely interferes with my ability to precisely control the probe, The Sterex probe holder / handles have some of the poorest ergonomics I’ve ever encountered for any kind of handheld instrument that needs ultraprecise dexterity and fine grained “touch” to operate properly anyway. There’s got to be a smarter and better designed and shaped probe holder/handle available somewhere. If anybody knows of a good one commercially available that will work with the Sterex machines, or can be adapted to work with it, I’d sure appreciate a pointer to a source. Even if it requires modifying a cable or connector to work with Sterex, that’s no problem. I was an electronics/avionics tech in a former life and still have all my professional tools to work with coax cables, BNC and other connectors, and have custom made countless numbers of similar cables that connect avionics equipment in airplanes that have been flying trouble free for those components for nearly two decades now, and will likely still be flying with avionics cabling I made and installed with my own two hands for decades more to come. If it comes down to it, I could probably even design and fabricate my own custom probe holder from scratch out of raw materials but I’ve gotten lazy in my old age and would rather just buy one if such an animal exists.

Forget about a switched probe holder. I don’t know how electrologists use them. Go with a a foot pedal and you will be much happier. I too have an issue with probe holder design and I’m very unhappy with most of them. They are NOT ergonomic. The only one I like is a BNC non-switched white probe holder/cord made by Sterex. It’s larger in diameter and longer making it more ergonomic, however it is unavailable in the United States and UK/Australian outlets will not ship it to the US. If there is a black market for electrolysis accessories I would certainly like to know about it.

Yeah, our Sterex system came with the foot pedal, plus the probe handle with the safety pushbutton feature on it. We now wrap tape over the button to keep it pressed, and just use the footpedal, but definitely the Sterex handle is awful to hold and use and try to have a steady hand with maximum dexterity. The cable is pretty well made, but I want a probe holder/handle that’s as ergonomically shaped and easy to hold and manipulate as a fine high-end calligrapher’s pen. The handle needs to help you be more precise and steady-handed, not make you more clumsy and unsteady. If no commercial company makes such an animal, maybe I should design one and see what it would cost to have a batch of them made by a volume fabricator. That is if I could ever find time to do that, :sunglasses:

I wish you would design one. Very little thought has been put into existing probe holder design. The most ergonomically correct one I can find in the US is the Instantron air-cord. While I do not use air-desensitizing, I find the probe holder superior to other designs. All other probe holders are stiff as a rock whereas the Instantron air cord holder is larger in diameter, longer, and slightly flexible.

I guess it’s different for everyone. I really don’t mind the Sterex probe holders. I wouldn’t call them ergonomic either, but I’ve never had an issue with comfort.

I think you could definitely use a mould for your hand and fingers and attach some type of material to the probe holder to get an individualised one which is ergonomic for you.

Hi. Hope you can help. I bought a used STEREX SX-B machine and I’m having problems with it.
When I test the galvanic by touching the probe to the wand the lights come on but it does not work when inserted into the hair.
Does anyone know what can be causing this problem?
Thank you