Help! Please give me advice about my situation. (electrolysis)

I am a 23 year old girl, living in montreal. I’ve hid this hairy part of my life from literally everybody in my life with extremely time consuming measures (plucking everything for hours, spending an hour in the shower shaving everytime) but enough is enough. I don’t have time for it anymore. I’m tired. Emotionally & physically. When I was about 13, I started growing some darker (but fine) duvet on my upper lip. My confidence took a massive hit. I bleached, nair’ed, waxed. Over the years it’s gotten worse, and i came to realize that it was abnormal hair growth. Hirsutism. I am COVERED in hair, literally everywhere. I’m in the process of getting my hormones checked, i know, i’m late about going this way but it’s just so hard for me to talk about it or show it and even let it grow for it to be seen. I get called crazy and obsessive when i have a breakdown and confide in someone about it (sharing about a ‘normal’ area, such as upper lip, and even that is really hard). My doctor said he didn’t think i have hirsutism. Tell that to the hair on my boobs. Ouch. Just writing this breaks my heart. It makes me feel so unfeminine and sad. Anyways, a lot of places the hair isn’t terminal but i’m afraid it’ll turn that way in a few years of time…
I pluck my upperlip, regrows within a week.
I don’t do anything to my cheeks but i can see fine dark hairs on them that bother me a lot. (I’ve looked at every other woman and nobody has it like me)
I’ve started having darker hairs on my chin (about 5, and the rest is a million fine hairs that i try to ignore)
My belly is covered in fine hairs, with darker terminal
ones from the belly button & down.
Boobs have hair too.
I suffer from ingrown hairs whatever the method i use.
I also scar very easily.
Hirsutism has ruined my entire life. Has changed my personality from a bubbly person to a self-conscious shy person who avoids talking to people from fear of them staring a little too long at my face and seeing what i see, too. I had to tell my boyfriend some part-truths today because i was crying hysterically over my electrolysis reaction (and also, because it’s on my face which is in front of him). His answer was that he ‘never saw a hair on my face’ that i’m ‘crazy’ and that i’m just ‘influenced by popular treatments i don’t need and the kardashians’. That if he ever saw a hair on my upper lip he would’ve thought ‘why the hell does she have hair there’. I can’t explain how much my heart broke in that moment, by the way. If only people calling me crazy would see. But i don’t have the courage & never will. I refuse to show myself like that. I feel like a monster. I’ve missed classes i realized have too many windows for entire semesters, because the sun hits my face in a way that makes me feel under the spotlight.
Anyways, that was a little background/i mistook you for a psychologist. Feel free to 100% disregeard everything above here, not a pity party, just some much needed sharing on a forum i’ve spent hours on in the last day and have found comfort in. Thank you all for sharing your stories and pictures, that truly helps me and is my source of strength these days.

After years of research and contemplating my solutions, I knew that electrolysis was the way to go. About hair removal, oh i know things. I know not to attempt laser on my face due to the possibility of it triggering more hair growth since i have hormone issues, but i’ve done it on my bikini and it’s worked meh. I was excited the first 1-2 sessions but it hit a plateau where the same patches stay sessions after sessions. She doesn’t mark anything and sometimes takes 12 minutes and other times 30. Sometimes it hurts and sometimes it doesn’t. Wherever i see red inflamed skin, i lose the hair, but she seems to miss spots all the time. (not ALL the skin raises, only spots the size of the machine’s head (a square) and they are very sparse and random)

BUT, my main concern is my face. I finally decided to splurge on electrolysis. I’m still a student so i have a tiny budget, but it is worth every single penny to me.
I had tested it a few years ago buying a groupon, and there was no pain and no reaction. I didn’t see results but that was expected after so little sessions (3). I ended up realizing i didn’t have the budget, really.

This time, I went with somebody who has years of experience (like 20-30 i don’t remember) and uses a microscope. A very nice lady, the place seems clean.
I first went in and was thilled by the fact that she had all these years under her belt, was using a microscope, was nice and the fact that i didn’t feel pain or had any crazy redness/swelling. It’s the morning after, when i woke up, that my little pink dream vanished. I came here and realized i hadn’t searched about all the effects electrolysis can have on the skin. Redness and bumps, i expected. Being covered in whiteheads and pustules, not.
I realize that this is a normal reaction for some people, now. I talked to her about it, showed hd pictures. She said that it was normal.
She estimated that I would be done in 6 months, doing 1 hour every week. I just have a hard time swallowing the pill of me having an upper lip full of pustules or red spots that look like hair from afar for 6 months. Because my skin doesn’t have time to heal in a week & it’s already being poked again.
Something doesn’t sit right with me about it.

Today, was my 2nd session. Like I said, my skin was super tender, dry and irritated from a week before. I still had one pustule, still had red dots and temporary scars from the reaction. Today hurt WAY more than the first time. My pain tolerance is very high, especially for something that is so close to my heart like getting rid of my hair, i sat quietly and still, but woo did it hurt!
I felt every poke as if it was poking through my skin instead of gliding in the follicle. I felt her just putting pressure in what felt like all types of wrong angles. She’s such a sweet lady, but i’m starting to be super worried about whether i chose the right electrologist for me. She also gave me the needle to being home, which didn’t worry me until i started reading some opinions about this practice here. I asked on my second apt how many times she’d reuse that and she said ‘oh it’s good for a couple of times for sure.’ And i watched closely after i handed it to her to see if she would sanitize it but she popped it right on the machine. Maybe she did last time, at the end of the session.
I’ll insert pics of my skin at night the same day of the treatment and healing. Tell me if you think this is normal. I also have pristine hygiene. Those pustules make me look like I don’t wash my face but… I do!
I’ve used a clarisonic for years which keeps my face clear of any pimples (which is why it’s incredibly hard to deal with this side effect).
I use a gentle cleanser by clinique, a light face cream and that’s it. Now that my top lip feels like it’s been through scorching hell, I don’t use my clarisonic and only gently massage it and rinse with cold water.
Following her advice, I don’t apply cream there anymore but she told me to buy polysporin.
Still reading about if i’ll follow that advice, but i bought it. Someone spoke against it on here.
I have Tea tree oil & 3 aloe vera plants at home. Haven’t tried yet, right now i’m just letting my skin breathe and do it’s healing thing on it’s own.
Feels like a sunburn right now.
Anyways, if you’ve made it here you’re my hero!!!
I hope this helps someone, maybe you can relate, and if you’re a professional & take time to reply i really, really appreciate you.

Oh and, I usually don’t feel the hair being pulled out. I feel the occasional tweeze. I hear and feel the zap everytime, sometimes it feels like it’s happening while it’s not deep enough and is burning like the top of my pore if that makes sense. This is a huge glob of text but what i’m asking really is if you think the reaction in the pictures are completely normal. Does that happen to you/your clients?
For electrologists, is it normal that the needle is being pushed in?
So you think, with my reaction, that 1hr per week is too much and that i should leave it time to heal fully before going in again?
Wish i had before pics to show you, but it’s super hard for me to grow this spot out.
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer & read me!! Have a good day :slight_smile:

The hearing the pulse, and the shallow insertions, mean we likely are seeing some high frequency blowback. The pustules, are indicative of contamination.
I’m going to recommend you to try a consult with Dimi. He’s local to montreal. Compare treatment results.You’re also more than welcome to make the trek to Ottawa to see me, but that may not be financiallly feasible on a student living.

Edit: on taking a minute or two more to read through some of this post, I came across the part on needle re-use.
Needle re-use is unlawful in Canada and is banned by Health Canada. Aside from this, its also a really bad practise, and you shouldn NOT see a practitioner who is doing this.I would avoid such an electrologist like the plague they are spreading. I might be worth mentioning as well, to the local health department.It is the most likely cause of the pustules seen on your lip.

Seana

1 Like

I’ also like to extend an “understanding hand” on the situation concerning hirsutism in yourself. I have found this very common amoungst those of Indian/pakistani descent, and as you indicate, it can be very devastating. My last client with this issue, also a student, has been travelling from Toronto to ottawa for the last 18 months monthly and doing large sessions on chest, back, stomach and face, and like you, left school for a semester because she could not bear to be seen with the hair. I’m happy to report she’s doing fine, is abut completed,and is about to graduate from her program this month… You CAN beat this issue, it does not have to be prohibitively expensive, and you willl gain your confidence back through the process.

Seana

Hi!
Oh no way i didn’t know that re-using needles was against health canada’s regulations. Crazy. It definitely makes me question where i’m going even more… wish ottawa was closer haha! I notice every really active electrologist on here and i love that you guys are so passionate/knowledgeable and available and educating others, really appreciated. Noticed dimi too and probably going to him next. Just a bit of a trip/higher total cost but those are worth it for quality!
Thanks for replying to me & i love hearing about others’ succes story. Keeps me going on harder days. I just have to visualize the future when it’ll all be over for me too and focus on that. Staying hopeful.
Have a good night :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi mtlp1

reading your post was like reading the story of my own struggle with excess hair. all i can say is i have been where you are. did everything including laser on face, it just kept getting worse until i decided to give electrolysis a go. at the beginning i was also very apprehensive about the whole process of electrolysis and the cost involved but the best thing is to find a good electrologist and then take it one step at a time. i save up a few hundred and then go for a few session then save up some more and then go for a few sessions and now almost 15 hours in and l already feel so much better. my electrologist treats the darker hairs first and then i am left with lighter hairs that are not as visible.

hey! I’m sooo excited to have that happen for me. And only after 15 hours wow, that’s good. I’m happy for you :blush: Did you do the upper lip? Did your skin scar/hyperpigment or break out?

i do get one or two breakouts after the procedure but i am not sure if it is due to the procedure or just general acne because my skin is prone to acne and hyperpigmentation. after electrolysis i get redness anda few white pustules which clears up in one or two days and i am left with a few brown scabs. haven’t noticed any scarring so far. i am not saying 15 hours has cleared my face but it has made things more manageable and just knowing i am doing something about my facial hair make me feel optimistic and more confident. as for the upper lip, i have not had much treatment there because it hurts a lot and funny enough my hair is not as bad on my upper lip as they are on my neck and chin area. although form the few minutes that i had electrolysis done on my upper lip, i have had no hyperpigmentation. find a good electrologist and every thing will be fine.

1 Like

So, yal, this can be tamped down a bit. The sizzling sound and the white pustules tell me that the intensity is too high, thus, the reaction you had on your upper lip …

Communicate well with your electrologist. Show her or him the pictures. Don’t have any more treatments until this is healed. Don’t pick at any scabs. The pustules will disappear easlity before the scabs will. This will heal.

I like dabs of tea tree oil and COLD aloe vera gel IMMEDIATELY after the treatment. This can help with minimizing skin manifestations. At least you can try it and see how it works, but most importantly, if your practitioner uses a different recipe, where there is no sizzling sounds or blanching of the skin, that will take you farther to a better healing outcome.

Thanks for answering Hania :slight_smile:
And thank you Deedra for the encouragements about it healing! My electrologist said she wasn’t recommending aloe vera (only polysporin) but I’ve read many people here recommending it and all so i will definitely start using it from my little plant at home and i’m sure it’s going to help, thanks :slight_smile:
And yeah, I felt like it was set too high… I showed her the pics and tried sort of asking if she thought it would be better to wait for it to heal or lower the settings and she said it was all good. I cancelled my appointment (a week ahead). I feel a little bad for cancelling since she was so sweet, but i’d rather listen to you guys.

Thank you for your answer :slight_smile:

You are most welcome. Come back and give us feedback about your healing.

Hi mtlp1,
To understand better how the skin heals you can look at the Michael Bono’s videos (4 parts).
Here is the link for the first part:

Dimi

Thanks for posting this, Dimi. I play this on my smart tv for new clients as I work on them. THey all freak out if they get one red spot.

Hi mtlp1,
My colleagues have given you excellent advice, as always. I just want to add a couple of considerations.
You described that just occasionally you feel a shallow insertion and then feel the heat burning. To me this sounds as just an occasional slightly incorrect insertion, it happens to everyone, especially when we’re trying to get as many hairs as possible in the given time; we’re only human. If it is not happening on many or every treated follicle , the setting is likely fine.
The small white pustules aren’t always a sign of contamination. Some people are just more prone to them , usually oilier skins as they are better feeding ground for germs (which are everywhere around us, in the air as well). Reusing probes, especially without sterilising them between treatments is illigal in many countries today. But the pustules may be caused by debris left behind from the removed hair root. The skin will try to expell them by forming a pustule. I swear by adding a drop of tea tree oil to aloe vera as aftercare.
You report that the second treatment was way more painful and you felt every insertion on your upper lip. My guess would be that the reason for this is the healing process still active in your skin - lymph and blood flood the area and cause swelling. It may have reduced visibly 1 week after treatment but it is still there applying pressure to the tissues. When we’re working on body areas for clearances for example , it is very difficult to revisit recently treated area as client’s sensitivity is through the roof. I would allow the area to rest longer between treatments to help with this problem . It’ll slow down the progress, but it is more likely for the client to cope with the discomfort and continue with treatment to eventually see results .
I wish you good luck and i hope you stick with it to the end. Looking forward to seeing your results !

1 Like