Help needed for hair issues PCOS: hirustism, laser / electrolysis choice

The schools still teach that nonsense. The true is that it is easier to kill the hair in telogen stage than in anagen.

This is Michal Bono video. He used 1 sec fast blend.

Josefa M. REINA video: Anagen or telogen

They have many educational videos.

I defer to dimitrov57 and concur based on 39 years personal experience, that it is NOT a requirement for hair to be in the anagen phase for treatment to be successful (with any modality). For many years, the anagen-only theory was alive and well but has since been dismissed as obsolete thinking. Several electrologists on this forum including but not limited to Josefa Reina and Mike Bono have shared photographic proof that thermolysis and blend methods can be administered in any stage, with little to no regrowth.

Personally, I believe the anagen only theory stems from electrology schools not allowing students to use enough RF energy to kill hair the first time. This leads to ā€œthe hair gets thinnerā€ argument, complacency, and long completion times.

1 Like

I believe the anagen only theory stems from electrology schools not allowing students to use enough RF energy to kill hair the first time.

The myth is also perpetuated due to the fact that there are no reputable and accredited electrolysis certifications that are not part of a broader beauty certification in Australia, which is where Permanence is located. Most clinicians here who offer electrolysis (as opposed to someone who does electrolysis all day every day) have studied electrolysis alongside laser hair reduction in school, and they either assume or are taught that electrolysis is only permanent on anagen hairs.

Itā€™s common here to hear from a clinic that hairs treated by electrolysis when in the anagen stage will most likely not return.

Please understand that claiming such high regrowth rates doesnā€™t do anything good for you. It makes me question your skill, since there are many others that can kill all to almost all hairs with Thermolysis or Blend (regrowth 0 - 1%). A 1% failure rate I find quite acceptable. A 90 % failure rate, which you claim, not so muchā€¦ to put it mildly.

Also, please understand that you seem to assume that I am a receptionists (or something along that line) who is concerned about appearance. I find that insulting, with the former more than the latter.

dimitrov57, Hairadicator and Scurvy, thanks for putting permanenceā€™s post into perspective :slight_smile:

How interesting. I read a question, asking for advice, I gave a response If you are a member of the public, I would expect you to say thank you for the effort made to respond, as you gather information to make an informed decision. isnā€™t that what your question was about? please re-read my response. it is not personal.
If you are a member of the industry then I would expect you to be respectful of different opinions. Either way, a quick review of hairtell guidelines would be appropriate.

Please re-read my response. I just gave you free advice as well.

Not every response contains useful information. In fact, yours raised more questions, seemed to push your product (by claiming you have high failure rates in another modality) and seemed to contain things that are simply not true. The latter was confirmed by pother professionals. Luckily it all got clarified by other professionals as well, so I thank them for it.

2 Likes

Just wanted to let you know that all is going quite well. I have had about 11 hours of electrolysis over the past weeks. About every two weeks on the face and the rest of the time on the legs. Legs are cleared of about 75% right now, will have more work done this week on legs and lower belly.
Had a lot of scabs but after they have healed (where we started treatments it has healed) it looks good already :slight_smile:

Itā€™s quite common unfortunately to see some operators ( seems to always be the galvanic folks) disparage other modalities in an effort to push forward their own modality.IT really is an unprofessional approach. Youā€™ll find however that around here were more likely to challenge the incorrect assertions ( often provided as ā€œfactā€ with no evidence to assert them as fact) rather than the practitioner themselves.

The fact is, that every modality of electrolysis, thermolysis blend or galvanic, kills hair. They all give just as beautiful results. There is no more risk associated with any of the modalities than there is with another in the hands of a competent practitionerā€¦ There has been more than ample evidence and proof shown by the documented results of professionals here to show that this is the case. We find that meeting undocumented assertions head on with documented results, is the best way to put such claims to rest. You wont find the Modality Wars here anymore, and anyone pushing such an agenda is going to find their claims refuted quite quickly.

Iā€™m really proud of HAiradicator, Dimi , geri, Skurvy and the other professionals who have taken up the challenge in this thread. ITā€™s a bold statement of how far Hairtell has come in the years I have been associated with this site.

Iā€™m super happy that you are seeing good results with your electrolysis treatment. I ask that you continue to document your results and progress here through to completion. ITā€™s through such documentation, that we have our largest tool to combat assertions that are incorrect.

In the last 5 years, I have literally watched professional electrologists from around the world, come together to share knowledge and techniques more than has ever happened in the past. Here, in the facebook private groups, in the uk and north america and around the world electrologists are coming to each others aid and to enhance their training and development throughout their careers, instead of the case years ago of multiple solitary practitioners never expanding their skill set as used to be the case years ago. I truly am taking part in a revolution in the electrology industry that literally has never been seen before. And Iā€™m hearing electrolysis knowledge getting through to the consumer more than it has in decades.

I couldnā€™t be prouder of the results of not only my own efforts to educate, but those of the hundreds and thousands of electrologists worldwide that is occurring today. Modality wars, cannot gain traction in the face of such sharing of knowledge.

Seana

3 Likes

Hi there,
I am brand new to this website so I am sorry in advance in case these questions have been already answered.
I am 29 years old and am diagnosed with PCOS. I struggle with my mental health on a daily basis (itā€™s been treated with meds) and am extremely reluctant to try any hormonal medications in terms of managing facial PCOS hair growth due to that. I have been threading/ waxing/ plucking for years and this year my parents offered to pay for electrolysis treatments. I have already had 3. I have heard itā€™s important to have balanced hormones before starting electrolysis. I donā€™t know whether I am hormonally balanced or not. Aside from irregular periods and facial hair and growth (full sideburns and mustache, less full but still noticeable chin and neck) I donā€™t really notice my PCOS. I am starting a diet and exercise regime (I am overweight and unfortunately I cope with anxiety and depression by eating) as I have been told that helps. Did I make a mistake in starting electrolysis? Is it futile and useless to go through electrolysis with unbalanced hormones? I really dislike my facial hair and it makes me feel very unattractive. It is extremely noticeable and thereā€™s a lot of it.

I really appreciate any and all patience in answering my questions

Imagine you are trying to empty a swimming pool, with a teacup. This is the electrolysis process. Slowly you make headway, one cup at a time. At some point you realize, some joker with a garden hose at the other side of the pool . This is the hormones, and it wil continue to add water ( hair) to the swimming pool as long as you let it.
So you shoot the joker with a gun and shut off the hose. This is the equivalent of losing weight and taking care of your health.
You continue to empty with your teacup, and slowly make progress. Eventually you succeed. Hurray! The pool is empty.
Hormonal influences, are along the same lines. . Yes, if you donā€™t do so, the pool will continue to fill up, but shooting the joker only made the water level stop rising, you still have to empty the pool but with persistence and determination, you can now accomplish it.

PCOS and the hormonal influences it brings are very much like that. They are constantly adding to the pool of hair until you remove them ( shoot the Joker) by taking care of your health. .The hair on your face stays growing until you remove it with the teacup----err electrolysis needle. Eventually you will destroy all the hair.
PCOS sufferers generally have a long go of it. They are amid my longest cases. But take care of the hormonal issue and take care of the hair, and you will get there. Unfortunately, missing either of these steps, can lead to an endless process. You cant begin making headway on the hair, until you shoot the joker!
It sounds like you are doing the right things. You just need to be patient, and stick with the process.Hair that you have killed, stays dead.There is nothing lost.

Thank you for taking the time to write this well written, patient and compassionate response.
Iā€™m sure many people have asked the same questions so it is that much more appreciated.
The pool metaphor was very easy to understand.
Big hugs to you and your commitment to this website! :slight_smile: