Hello from Australia - DIYer has questions

Hello all,

Firstly: I am in QLD, Australia and am interested in buying a secondhand blend machine for DIY work. Please message me if you can help :slight_smile:

I’ve been lurking this forum for a long time - pleased to meet you all

In essence, my beloved partner is unhappy with their facial hair and has wanted it removed for some years, and would like to quit having to shave every few days. However, there is zero availability for electrologists in our region. They have been on a “waiting list” for the past year which appears to never end - so several months ago I resolved to do something about it by myself and began saving for a machine.

I have read many posts on this forum, as well as what is available of Michael Bono’s work, and a course/handbook given to me by a coworker and “fellow traveler” which appears to be by 2pass clinic in the Netherlands, and I think I am beginning to gain some understanding of the undertaking. I work a technical job and understand that DIY electrolysis is potentially hazardous, and not an easy path, and I respect the method - I am trying to take the utmost care.

That said I have also amassed a small list of questions that I have not been able to answer, for electrologists of this board - please indulge me if you can :slight_smile:

• Are needle (shaft) sizes consistent across brands - I am seeing that the size of the shaft refers to a thousandth of an inch (is this true?), but I’m unsure if this applies to all needles, or just Ballet? In other words, if I establish that we need (for example) a size 4, but I’d like to trial another brand, am I going to need to re-establish my sense for the size? I am seeing differences where some needles appear to go up to a size 6, but elsewhere, I see people refer to needles going up to a size 10. I feel this is probably important to know before I commit to buying needles of any particular manufacturer.

• It appears I’m unable to buy an Apilus machine in Australia without a certification from the Apilus distributor, costing about the same amount as a machine. Is this really the case? Does anyone know if this is a restriction imposed by Apilus, or by the distributor…? This seems a bit sad as I was attracted to the safety features - I’m also just unsure if a manufacturer’s certificate of training is actually even worth the paper it’s written on - if I were to look into that, it would be more likely that I’d go for a nationally recognised certification. (I don’t think I can import, given the differences in power supply and plug type - kind of defeats the “safety” point in any case). Basically I’m looking for more info about this. Especially the automation of flash thermolysis seems like it would be incredibly useful, where otherwise it seems it is hard to get right.

• Besides dubious consumer units (ie. One Touch), the Sterex SX-B seems to be the only machine available to me, new or used; any Australians here, do you know of any other options for a unit?

• Finally, given I’m looking into a Sterex SX-B, is there anything special I should know about operating this model? (I have read the manual)

• Do gold-plated needles really make a difference when it comes to avoiding triggering hyperpigmentation? I read into a dermatology textbook to try and understand the mechanism behind this - my understanding is my “client” (a type-III) would fall under those prone to the effect. Knowing this, should I just bite the bullet and use gold from the get-go?

Thank you everyone.

Best wishes,
Beta
(they/them)

No. At least it’s not the case with Balet, F2’s mimic the regular old sterex needles. My experience is that other needles can’t compare to Balets but that’s me. Pick one brand to use (I like Balet F2, F3’s) and work with the different sizes to figure out what works better for each area.

Dunno about Apilus. ‘Older’ dial type machines would provide you with a wider variety of features… Again, it’s user preference. Operator skill and the persons commitment will get you the results you want.

I live in US. No sterex machines to speak of.

Gold plated and insulated is debatable, it might reduce operator error or shield you from more damage… is it worth the heavier price tag? You decide.

If you’re serious about purchasing a machine flag the search on eBay and monitor it. I’ve seen a couple go up for sale at sub $1000.00USD prices in recent months. There was a 275$ unbranded AR Hinkel I believe that I almost pulled the trigger on.

I’m an Australian electrologist and happy to help with any of your questions here, but you can also message me privately if you like.

The two common brands for electrolysis probes here are Ballet sand Sterex. Their sizes scale the same, but Sterex seem to prefer a two-piece build will I believe Ballet only sell one-piece probes. If you work with Ballet, I don’t think you’ll have a better experience with another brand. Most suppliers only stock F2 to F4 since these are by far the most common sizes.

Buying an Apilus doesn’t make sense for a DIYer here. As you mentioned, it requires proof of certification imposed by the manufacturer, I believe. Aside from this, it’s expensive, and it has more features than you will ever need.

Sterex is the most available option for you in Australia. There are other units like Carlton, Clareblend and Instantron, but I’m not sure if they still have the same distribution network that they used to.

There’s nothing special to call out about the SX-B. It’s a basic machine, easy to use, it does the job. I use it on all my clients, and while I would trade up to a different brand if necessary, I would never go with Apilus.

Some people claim that gold probes help to minimise hyperpigmentation. I haven’t personally seen this. In my view, the best way to avoid hyperpigmentation is an insulated needle if appropriate, and then always using just the right amount of energy to disable to the follicle. Beyond that, most people will experience hyperpigmentation even to a very, very minor degree. It’s not something you can perfectly ensure against.

1 Like

Hi there - I have a blend machine for sale …but I am in Canada ….
Vivian Veroba
vveroba@hotmail.com

Just wondering if you ended up buying a machine and if so what did you go with? Am also in Australia and not finding many machines available second hand!

Hey there Possummagic. Nope, I have not seen any secondhand machines - at all, much like you, sadly.
I also noticed that the price of the Sterex SX-B has recently increased something like a thousand dollars in the past six months, which is certainly unfortunate news for anyone trying to save up for one.

My partner still needs electrolysis though, so it’s not up to me. I was going to buy it very soon - probably in the next week or so.

Probably the sad thing is that I cannot commit to selling it on as I’m unsure how much maintenance will be needed ongoing for my partner.

Where are you based - are you in Queensland?

I’d recommend you get in touch with Skip MAhler from the Instantron Electrolysis Machine company in Rhode Island USA. The instantron is a quality epilator at a most reaasonable price, and I know he can make machines to work with your power systems in Austrailia ( which I dont believe is the same as North American power systems) . Skip supports his products superbly, and I promise you it will be a hassle free purchase.I’ve never heard of him requiring a certification to sell you a machine either.