Hairless advertisment raises hackles

I don’t want to discourage the output of laser, but there is a news about laser hair removal advertisement in New Zealand.

Hairless advertisment raises hackles </font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”> A New Zealand Laser Centre advertisment for a hair removal treatment has been discontinued pending an appeal, after a doctor’s complaint was upheld by the Advertising Standards Authority.

The advertisment promises outstanding hair-free results that last for years after the treatment. The ASA upheld a complaint from a Tauranga doctor that the ads were misleading.

The ads show a picture of a completely hair-free chest in conjunction with the phrase “years later”.

The Tauranga dermatologist who laid the complaint, Dr Paul Salmon, says that outcome is impossible.

He says the ads “probably were an insult to intelligent and even lay members of the public as far as what could be expected as a result of this type of treatment.”

He complained that the advertisment’s claims could not be achieved. He also says they give his own customers unrealistic expectations of the procedure.

“We hope that they would have realistic expectation when they come to us. And certainly we are very careful to instruct patients before they have treatment.”

The New Zealand Laser Centre has withdrawn the ads pending the outcome of the appeal. They say the ads are not misleading.

“I’ve seen the results myself. I was a laser technician when I first came to the company. I’ve seen heaps and heaps of very satisfied customers go through our doors,” says the centre’s Hayley Derward.

Laser hair removal is a costly procedure. Six to eight treatments on the chest costs about $3,500.

Despite that, it is becoming big business. Clinics in Wellington have hired extra staff, bought new lasers and there is a two week waiting list for first appointments.

“I know there is no guarantee, it’s not 100% guaranteed but I’ve had two treatments and I’m going to keep going till there is no more hair growth,” says one female client.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>(published on 25th Feb 2003, ONE News. link)

Thanks for sharing that, ants. Laser places can often overhype results to make sales, especially now that the market is saturated and the economy has turned in many parts of the world.