hair treatments

Hi all. I am a male getting laser hair removal. I’m going in for my 4th treatment next week. The thing is when I get the treatment the laser hurts, a lot. What can I do to numb the areas without taking away the effectiveness of the laser?

The clinich recommended ‘emla’ but is there something else that worked for others? (Emla is only given in the states by prescription).

I am doing my chest, abdomen, and back.

icing really helps the best, before and after. also, always be well hydrated before treatments and take a tylenol or similar beforehand. numbing cream shouldn’t really be used on such a large area, but possibly just a few areas that hurt the most. you also have to put it on about 1 hour ahead of time.

some questions about details of your treatments:

skin/hair type? machine used? shedding after each time? how far apart are treatments spaced?

Thanks for the reply.

1. Skin is medium tone
  2. Their laser is displyed here (http://www.manhattanlaserclinic.com/ourlaser.html)
  3. Shedding i’ve noticed about 2 weeks after the treatment. But the odd part is that most of the hair that grows in doesn’t fall out. If I pull on the hair it slides right out. What can I also do to make sure the hair that is supposed to fall out falls out on it own? The clinic suggested exfoliating (like those shower gels or creams)
  4. I’ve kept the treatments about 8-10 weeks apart. The clinich wants to shorten the visits to maybe 6 weeks for 2 treatments.

A little background: I used to go to Silk Skin Laser (http://www.silkskinlaser.com/) who just joined with the Manhattan Laser Clinic (the link above). MLC is the one that says they need to use more power because the treatments i’ve had before were not strong enough.

Both places used the same laser. MLC has the new model.

Any tips would be great!

Are they using the Apogee alex on you or the GentleYAG? What settings (joules, pulse, spot size)?

If you hairs slide out easily, that’s shedding. If you wait 2 more weeks, those will fall out as well. Exfoliating should help too. Whatever doesn’t shed and grows as usual after 4 weeks was probably missed.

The joules, pulse, spot size all vary. Honestly don’t remember the numbers. When I go next week, I can find those out and post them here. I believe the joules was 22, and the MLC wants to vamp it up to 30.

So aside Tylenol and being hydrated there isn’t anything else I can take to numb the pain, right?

you can use a topical numbing cream. not sure what else you’re thinking to take besides painkillers. those are pretty much the two options you have.

Better to apply aloe Vera gel.

Thank you for sharing this information with us. As a new mother, this essay has been quite useful in assisting me in for my baby’s better hair care. As a result, I’m at a loss for words to express my delight. If you want better results buy tear free shampoo. Thank you so much for making us aware of this. I am interested in hearing more about other topics from you.