hair removal problems. Could laser surgery fix it?

Hey, I’m a 16yr old girl and hair removal has alway been a nightmare for me. I can’t wax my bikini line or under my arms without the hair follicles bleeding and scarring. I’ve tried getting it done professionally but the scars just get worse and worse with each time. I have to shave under my arms now but it still scars. I don’t want to shave my bikini line, but I need to do something and it’s the only option I have even though it’s still making things pretty bad. I don’t use any sort of products that would irritate my skin, and if I get ingrown hairs I just leave them, so I can’t work out why it gets so bad.

With my legs, waxing seems to work better than shaving but I get little bumps all over the back of my thighs. I get ingrown hairs which I leave alone, but my hair follicles also seem to get really infected and it looks awful.

I thought that perhaps laser surgery, although it’s expensive, could fix this problem. If it’s going to discourage the hair from growing back and thin it out then maybe it’s the right decision. Has anyone got any thoughts on this? Is it the right way to go or not? What sort of laser surgery should I be looking at? I have dark hair and olive skin and am looking to get rid of the hair on at least my bikini line and under my arms.

Thanks,
Jess

Laser might do the job, try a session or 2 on one body area, and see the results you get after a couple of months.

I had the same situation as you and I’m very glad I’m doing this. Underarms and bikini areas get some of the best results with laser. I am getting both of those done and I haven’t had more than 10% of hair there than what I started with since I began my treatments in February (3 so far). Basically, I don’t even need to shave anymore, maybe once a month and that’s for a few sparse hairs here and there. I haven’t finished the treatments yet, but I expect I will stay at least a 90% reduction.

Laser works best on coarse hair, that’s why those areas get good results. And they’re not that expensive. Regular bikini (around a thong/panty) is give or take $100 per session; same for underarms. You’ll need 4-6 sessions.

For your skin type, find a place with a Yag laser to avoid skin discoloration and burns.

Good luck.

I had the same situation as you and I’m very glad I’m doing this. Underarms and bikini areas get some of the best results with laser. I am getting both of those done and I haven’t had more than 10% of hair there than what I started with since I began my treatments in February (3 so far). Basically, I don’t even need to shave anymore, maybe once a month and that’s for a few sparse hairs here and there. I haven’t finished the treatments yet, but I expect I will stay at least a 90% reduction.

Laser works best on coarse hair, that’s why those areas get good results. And they’re not that expensive. Regular bikini (around a thong/panty) is give or take $100 per session; same for underarms. You’ll need 4-6 sessions.

For your skin type, find a place with a Yag laser to avoid skin discoloration and burns.

Good luck.

What kind of laser are you using?..I am interested in doing my bikini area also…

I have light skin (type II) and black coarse hair, so I went with a GentleLASE laser (an alexandrite type made by Candela). A diode laser like LightSheer will also work on my skin and hair type. For skin type darker than type IV, use a Yag laser.

Thanks very much for your help guys! Problem is I live in Australia, so I’m not sure of prices and stuff around here.

Never mind, I’ll work something out. I definately feel more confident about getting it done now. Maybe I’ll have a look around and see what some of the places in my area are offering.

Thanks,

Jess xx

On other forums, others from Australia did mention using LightSheer, so I’m pretty sure you can find someone there who has a good laser. Make sure the tech is well-trained and knowledgeable though. That’s most important for best results. Check out the cosmetic enhancements forum for some help with Australian places.