Guy new to WAXING got a few questions

Hello all. i’m new. I’m glad to have found this forum. it think its great that men and women of all ages can share information and educate and help each other on this issue.

basically i’m a guy and i am considering waxing my face from now on instead of shaving.

shaving IMO is just too much trouble. their is so many different kinds of razors, gels and aftershaves and types of razors and so many brands. at the end of the day basically i want my mouth, chin, cheek, and neck areas to be clean of hair,hair shadows and without sores or razor bumps. while i could be wrong and at the end of the day i feel like if you have sensitive skin it seems like you will have some kind of bumpage no matter what you do.

basically i use something called bump fighter razors. other times i use a norelco electric razor

basically i get razor bumps after i shave and i feel like i have to wait for the bumps to heal before i shave again. other wise i end up having to shave over the razor bumps which hurts even when i touch/stroke my face the razor bumps feel sore. when i use my electric razor its the same story.

also i end up having to shave 2-3 days later. when i use my bump fighter with after shave its just really messy and time consuming and using an electric razor just creates bumps. it seems like with waxing that since the hair is pulled out at the root that it takes longer for it to grow back. and you are not using a razor so you don’t get bumps.

so i wonder what women do. are their waxing products available that are meant for men. it would be embarassing to go to a cvs or something and ask for a waxing brand thats meant for women. i’ve heard that waxing really hurts. is there a way to make it less painful on the face. what are other things i should consider.

also i’m considering waxing my head as well because hair my head hair is beginning to thin and i want to go for a bald look. however i see men who do shave their heads and some men have very smooth shiny clean bald heads whereas others have a very scalely look from shaving with hair shadows that show their balding pattern.

i think i read a thread where a guy asked the same questions about head waxing and that instead of waxing the admin suggested that he get electrolysis on his head and in between sessions he should use an epilator.

so if anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate them

I am sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but your plan would only be an exercise in futility.

Male facial hair would not come out all that well with waxing. In fact, I get referrals from waxers whose clients get to the point where their client’s hair has become too thick and deep for the wax to work. Basically, they apply the wax, pull the strip, and little or nothing comes out. This would be the case with a male beard and any scalp hair.

Haven’t you seen girls fighting? They grab a fist full of hair and lift the other girl up off the ground and hurl her about 3 to 5 yards. The scalp skin is more likely to rip away from the skull before the hair comes out. If the girl is lucky, her hair is over blow dried, or chemically damaged by coloring and styling products, and it breaks off (later causing split ends).

If you did use some sort of plucking for facial hairs, you would still get shadow for the hairs that break off inside the shaft. You would also still get ingrown hairs from both the broken off hairs, but also from the distorted follicles that would start to show up in about 3 months. In the meantime, you would be making the job of the person who would eventually do permanent hair removal on you more difficult, and thus costing you even more money.

Why not cut to the chase and get permanent hair removal starting now, and get the look you want from the start?

This waxing thing you may chose to do, 666, will cause you much frustration. Not a productive choice for a man’s facial hair. Look into a laser/electrolysis combination if you don’t want to spin your wheels.

OKAY guys thanks for the info. i won’t wax. i guess i have to stick with shaving until i do this other stuff you suggest.

so i should consider laser / electrolysis? what do i need to do? how does it work. is it super expensive? do i do it myself?
is it painful?

alright i got some google videos

so this is it. men and women do it. i guess i just need to make an appointment.

does this really work for the head/scalp? so its painful and expensive?

one video says that african american hair is harder to do and electrolysis leaves scabs. the only reason i ask is because im african american.

this video says that laser is better than electrolysis

I would stick to hairtell for your education on electrolysis and laser. I’m very serious about that.

African American skin is not difficult to treat and scabbing is not a problem. Statements like this come from ill-prepared electrologists and ill-informed consumers. The biggest thing I have found is that it is best to treat people that have curvey hair, no matter what the skin color, when the hair is in the early growing phase. At this time the hair is straighter in the follicle. With laser, this doesn’t matter.

Both modalities can be expensive and you have to be a loyal dog and time treatments according to hair growth cycles.

A skilled electrologist with 21st century equipment, knowledge and experience will do well by you. A laser expert, using the correct laser for your skin color, is what you want. You will still need an electrologist after laser because there are limitations as to what can be accomplished for most people with laser.

Do you want to remove facial and scalp hair?

Permanent hair REMOVAL and REDUCTION can be a hard and long road for some. For others, it is all over and people are joyous within a year to year and a half. There is sensation that ranges from painful to just a little ouchy.

Read the laser faq’s page and read as much as hairtell as you can. Shoot over to www.hairfacts.com and read that information as well. Most newcomers have lots of questions that we can answer, but we do a lot of repeating here and it would be most courteous if people that are totally new to hair removal with electrolysis and laser would start their education by doing a little reading first.

Again, be wary of most of these youtube testimonials. Start here, and then compare what you hear and see there.

Dee

The only problem I have ever had with completing hair removal on African Americans, is getting them to stick to the schedule, or not giving up in the first 3 months. It doesn’t matter how much I explain the process, when they see more hair in the treated area in a few weeks – Just Like I Told Them They Would – they say, “ah, this stuff doesn’t work!” and quit. Alternately, they don’t come in on the schedule I say, because, “If it works, as long as I keep going, it will evenutally work, right?” They don’t know that going outside the schedule to completion only costs them more money.

ok. i guess i need to make an appointment with a practitioner in my area soon. where do i start?

Where do you live? Maybe we can suggest someone to start the consultation process with.

Hi 666, I just wanted to add that skin care students are instructed NOT to wax scalp hair or men’s beards. These hairs are too deep and can cause too much tissue trauma and possible infection among other problems.

I suggest electrolysis!

Thanks everyone. it seems like waxing is more trouble than shaving.

I live in Silver Spring, Maryland i guess the yellow pages is a good place to start.

it seems like laser/electrolysis are truly the only way to permanently get rid of scalp hair and beard moustache hair.

but my only issue at the moment is money. i don’t think i can afford electrolysis/laser.

i’m gonna have to go back to shaving. i’m gonna go to the shaving forum to ask questions . but thanks everyone for talking me out of waxing. i think that once my financial situation improves i’ll be able to get the electrolysis/laser done on my scalp, beard/moustache and also my armpits and in other places.

all this talk makes me wonder what women did back in the old days before this type of techniques were even thought of.

Trust me, neither you, nor any other man wants to know. :wink: