Grounding bar itching

Hi

I’ve searched and read a lot on this forum buy couldn’t find what I wanted so I signed up.

I’m having electrolysis done on my ear hairs and my torso (possibly more in the future). While doing the torso I lay my arm on the grounding probe/bar. It produces an intense itching for a few days afterwards where the grounding bar touches my arm . We have tried washing right afterwards with soap and water and then with water and backing soda. Backing soda neutralizes acid you know. My electrologist says that there is an acid that is created. Non of these have worked.

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on and how to stop it? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Gordon

I’ve written extensively about this reaction, but here are some highlights.

1. You must not use a "dry’ metal electrode! Best is to use the sponge-type electrode cover still made by the Hinkel Company. If you can’t do that, use a small (wet) hand towel … (If you want the reasons for this I can expand).

2. Wet the sponge with heavily salted water and keep it reasonably wet, i.e., don’t let it dry out.

3. Best is to hold the sponge electrode in your hand (that skin is nearly impervious to the mild acid reaction.) Placing the electrode on your forearm is just about the worst place to put it. (No wonder it itches).

4. Immediately, if you feel any sensation at the electrode … change the location; e.g. to the other hand.

Once you get this reaction there is little you can do. DO NOT wash the area afterward, because there is nothing to wash off; the washing will only make matters worse.

The reaction is your own body’s histamine reaction to the injury (histamine causes itching). You may use 1% (over-the-counter) hydrocortisone cream (of any type/brand) that will knock down the itching.

Oh, baking soda won’t help either because it’s already too late. (It’s like closing the barn door after the horses have run off.)

Thank you Michael.

The electrode isn’t dry. She uses plain water to wet a sponge with the electrode inside a slit cut into it.

I’ll try holding it in my hand instead. It’s just with a 2 hour session my hand will cramp up I’m sure.

No it wont. You dont have grip it like your would a motorcycles handlebars. Just having it in your hand making contact is enough.

I usually wrap the electrode in paper towel and wet it. The sponges break down after a bit.

I’ve only ever used plain water, salt water would work better though but isnt all that necessary.

All in all, I think Michael nailed the solution. The palm of the hands also usually are less sensative than other skin to irrittion from it, or at least I’ve never had anyone complain. to such things but not always.

Seana

Okay … Gordon inspired our first Youtube video. We are uploading right now.

Not the best, we are still learning the software but it’s on my channel: electrologyNOW

And if holding the electrode in your hand is not always possible then just move it as much as possible- and always keep the sponge or padding moist. And resting your body weight on it is never a good idea, you can get a severe reaction that way

My last session I held the bar in my hand with a wet sponge wrapped around it. Worked fine, no problems, no itching. Thanks Michael!

Chronic eczema/psoriasis/dermatitis sufferer here and I’ve found nothing to stop the itching afterwards. It usually will start as a rash about an hour or two after treatment and then turn into eczema.

The worst is when I used the onetouch machine with the salted water and my hand would break out in eczema.

I don’t believe the one-touch has a DC meter, so you have no idea of the current load you are putting in your skin. Indeed, using salt water on that “Neolithic device” would increase the DC flow a LOT.

It could also be that you wash your hands a lot? If you do this, you are stripping your skin of natural oils that protect your skin from the DC reaction. Don’t wash or scrub your hands before the treatment!

You might also try a somewhat heavy cream or even a gel made specifically for such use. The “tens” units typically supply a heavy gel for use with their hand-held (bare) electrode. These work very well indeed and have appropriate minerals and protective agents. You can get some of this “EKG” gel from the pharmacy … or perhaps a place that does physical therapy; maybe from a cardiologist?

Hope this helps. (I feel a new video coming on this subject.)