Great! Surgi-hair Stop!

I’ve been using it for a while now, and it’s brilliant! I’ve been using it for the face too and it hasn’t caused even the slightest irritation. It’s already dramatically reduced the amount of hair. Top Product!

I’ve seen this stuff at my local department store but never tried it because I didn’t want to fork over money for something that didn’t work. I guess I might give it a try now.

These products have no published clinical proof they can work as claimed.

It’s very hard to assess results with these sorts of things on an individual basis. In addition, the post above is extremely vague.

1. Using it for “a while”-- how long is a while? Usually it takes several months to get an accurate sense of a product’s effectiveness.

2. No mention of the other methods of hair removal being used. Epilation makes it even harder to assess the results of a product like this.

Posts like this on other forums are the reason I started this site. The poster (as well intentioned as he or she may be) has not provided enough information for us to make any kind of valid assessment of the results.

I recommend consumers avoid Surgi-Hair Stop and supposed hair inhibitors unless they are willing to throw away money on something that very likely won’t work.

Unfortunately, I believe some people will have to waste money before they are convinced that something doesn’t work. I guess hope overpowers common sense.

Serendipity, something I sometimes do when there’s a post here about a product that works … I check to see how many posts the person has made. That’s listed under each message. At the bottom it says “Posts:” and then the number.

Now “Meee”, you should absolutely correct me if I’m wrong here! OK?

But … just to point out - if somebody has only made one post, and it was to promote a product, that might make me suspicious. Whereas, if the person has made a hundred posts, and post number 101 was to promote a product - that make me give more credence to the post. You know what I’m saying?

I doubt that many advertisers would spend THAT much time on a message board just to gradually get around to promoting some specific product. But to just pop in, promote a product and pop out? Yeah, they would definitely do that. So that’s one trick you can use to deciding whether a post is legit or not! May work sometimes - not always.

i can imagine people in general posting such messages for stupid fun.

i’ve always seen the product where i shop from time to time, but as i’ve said before i simply too cheap to bother.

regardless of how many people say something doesn’t work, i’ve discovered most people don’t care. it applies to all that other crap out there, the ab belts, the miracle diets, all of it. there are millions of people dennouncing this stuff as crap, but there are millions more people buying it anyway.

it stinks, but it’s true.

At least the Surgi-Hair Stop is about $10 per bottle, as opposed to Kalo, which is $40… Even if it works, $40 a bottle is a ripoff, in my mind. I mean, I think by the time you actually got any results, you might as well have actually paid for laser/electrolysis.

Hmm, no follow-up from the original poster. Not surprising.

Again, avoid products like these and posters who don’t provide details and follow-ups.

Just a wee note to say I used Surgi-Hair-Stop (body formula) on my legs for about 3 months, twice a day for the first 10 days, then once a day after my shower.

During this time, I was waxing or epilating.

While I found NO reduction in hair and NO slowing of regrowth, I did find that I had many, many fewer ingrown hairs while I was using the product - probably because it was dissolving dead skin cells and moisturising.

However, it was an unpleasant hassle to use. You have to wash your hands afterwards (OK, sounds like not a big deal but on busy mornings…!) - and it stinks. It is overpoweringly fragranced in a failed attempt to mask the unmistakable Nair-like depilatory chemical smell.

It is also quite expensive. I have found that using a rich alpha-hydroxy body lotion works almost as well.

I have also recently bought the Jolen hair inhibitor, which has a very mild, baby-lotion type fragrance. I am using it on my bikini line. So far, have not noticed either a reduction in hair, a slowing of growth, or a reduction in ingrowns, but I will let you know when I have been doing it for a few months (not holding out much hope).

What a shame these products don’t appear to really work as they claim! That would be brilliant!

Update on Jolen Hair Inhibitor

I have now been using the stuff for about 2 weeks, morning and night. I HAVE noticed changes, but I’m not sure I’m liking them.

I have noticed a slowing of the hair emerging beyond the surface of my skin. However, this seems to be because the hairs are becoming weakened and unable to push themselves out - not because they aren’t growing. This results in a dark spot not unlike an ingrown.

When I go for them with tweezers, I find the hair is quite ‘gummy.’ They either break when I try to pull them out, or just ‘smear’ when I scrape the tweezer against them, leaving a black bit of gunk in the follicle.

This is not really attractive!

I will carry on for a few more weeks, maybe, to see if the hairs eventually start breaking down before they have a chance to really form.

The problem is that this means I can not really get a smooth look while I’m experimenting. To be honest I’d rather just wax or shave.

Folks it works for me. I applied the GeL and not the cream but made sure that Gel actually did stayed on my neck and other areas, so i applied quiet a bit, just enough to make sure that the skin is getting it. It works wonders in about a week or so.

For some reason my local Walmart is not carrying Gels anymore only face cream by Surgi. Maybe they are getting a new Surgi Gels. I dont know. So I ordered from drugstore.com

Read my other article if it helps:

http://www.hairtell.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=45;t=000017

:grin:

Hi everyone

This stuff doesn’t work at all
it just would make you smell like crap all day
that is it :frowning:

[ November 12, 2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: roc ]

this one works for me to some extent. this is unlikely applicable to other individuals.

i used it for my urgy face. i did not use it seriously. i did not follow the labeled instructions properly. it is cheap. it may not be breakthrough. i am still urgy, but it did show “delta” improvements.

i do pray, but not sincerely. i am certain that this “delta” has nothing to do with my prayerful thought or any others’ prayerful thought.

geek777

(P.S.
it has been said that carbon paper copies have been proven reliable for centuries. perhaps we should stick to carbon paper copies, instead of soft copies in our computers! )

Hi Monkeylegs, cute moniker. I have a large bridge I would be interested in selling & thought you might be interested. Pearl…

As a full-time M-F transsexual, hair removal and control, is one of the most important things in my life. Here’s how I see the Surgi-Stop product. From the waist down, I have used nothing but depilitories for the past 27 years. I was 24 years old when I started this regime. Today, my female friends are jealous of the sparse hair growth on my legs. At the time I started, I had been shaving, and I would say that my leg hair was a little heavier than the average 24 year old male. Today? I can get away with 2 weeks between Nair treatments, and still wear nude pantyhose with an above the knee skirt. My current condition, is that I used Nair 4 days ago. You can not see, nor feel, a single hair on my lower legs. Upper legs have no visible hair, but you can feel some fine, short, hairs beginning to grow in. <p>

I also use depilatories on my arms, and underarms, and enjoy the same results as I do on my legs. The chest is a bit trickier. I try my best to avoid shaving it, but when I was young, I had a very hairy chest, so noticable regrowth happens within 24 hours, just as it does on my face. And you can’t use a depilatory, on the same area, 2 days in a row. It will just be totally ineffective. A genetic woman will probably get real good results, on the face, but… and this is REAL important… if she can tolerate the burn. It is TOTALLY ineffective on the dense, coarse, facial hair of the average male. But I do have to say, that I often get some REAL nasty ingrown hairs on just about every part of my body. I’m fighting one on my nose right now, but that’s a place where I don’t use any type of hair removal. <p>

So out of desperation, one day, I bought a bottle of the Surgi-Stop. I guess it was about 10 years ago. At first, I followed the directions, and used it for about 2 weeks, with no noticable results. Here and there over the next 10 years, I used it for a while, but never with any determination. Now although the stuff is expensive, it is (at least the stuff I had) a gel-like lotion, so it goes a long way, even over a facefull of short whiskers. <p>

I also tweeze the facial hairs on my upper lip and chin. I do this about once every month. So about 3 months ago, I see the old bottle in with my toiletries, and decide that I am going to use it religiously. I missed a few treatments, but never more than 1 day skipped. I followed the routine until I ran out of it. Of course, I am stilling shaving my face almost daily, and sometimes more than once. I used it on the facial area only.
<p>
I have absolutely no doubt, that I have experienced a significant decrease in the coarsenes, density, thickness, and rate of regrowth. I went out looking for it in stores, but have been unable to locate it. As soon as I am finished writing this, I am going to buy some on eBay. I just happened onto this site, while searching for Surgi-Stop on Google. I guess I should mention, that I usually wear make-up over it, and maybe that helps it penetrate better.
<p>
So all naysayers aside, this VERY experienced hair removal subject will be ‘wasting’ money on this product for a long time! I will also be using it on my chest, this time around, and will report on those results when, and if, they ever occour.

You are 51 years old. The hair on your lower legs would have diminished greatly even if you had not used surgi-stop due to the natural ageing process and decreased circulation to the lower extremities.

We have no choice but to believe your testimonial. It would be helpful though if you could explain to the audience how surgi-stop works. There is a scientific explantion for every TEMPORARY hair removal method as well as every PERMANENT hair removal method. Surgi-stop falls into the temporary column of course, since you are still chasing hair after 27 years, albeit, less hair.

Andrea has a page some would be interested in:

http://www.hairfacts.com/methods/hair-inhibitor.html

Surgi hair stop is listed about half-way down. She likens these products to the guy on the street flipping his coat open and saying, “Hey, wanna buy a watch?”

OK… there are other brands that make the same claims that Surgi-Stop does. I would have never tried the product, if it did not come from the Surgilotion company, because I have always respected this brand, because it used to be the only product that effectively removed the hair from my chest.

However, over the years, Nair became greatly inproved, to the point that it was even more effective than Surgilotion. (Veet and Sally Hansen do not even come close!) All these products (inhibitors) seem to have one ingredient in common, that being Papaya extract. I will do some further research, and see if I can find any science to back their claims up.

As I stated I would, I have aquired more of the product, and have been using it again for several weeks now. I just started using it on my chest area, and will report back on that, also.