Got a beard transplant and I would like to do electrolysis to remove some of the hairs

I got a beard transplant 3 months ago and I am consulting with an electrolysis expert in my city to get some of the hairs removed. The mustache line is too high and I would like to bring it down about a quarter-inch. I have read here that galvanic works better than thermolysis for transplanted grafts, so the process will not be using any heat.

If I wait for another month (4 months after transplant) to get my first session of electrolysis with galvanic is that enough time for the follicles to set and heal? I heard that using the galvanic method, there is a bit of the solution used that “spreads” and I don’t want it to interfere with grafts below that I want to keep.

@Bono I would love your insight

The chemical created in the follicle during Galvanic is contained to the follicle as long as the probe doesn’t leave the follicle wall. However, my concern for you is that inflammation created during electrolysis regardless of the modality used may interfere with the other healing follicles you want to keep.

Has the clinic that did the transplants given you any guidance on timeline to start electrolysis without worrying about the hairs you want to keep?

Ps, Mike Bono unfortunately passed away a short time ago :frowning: RIP mike

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about Mike, RIP.

Thanks for your input! I definitely see your concern, I am also wondering if inflammation will be an issue. I have reached out to the doctor that did my transplant but they have not been responsive to my messages. It has healed incredibly fast (way faster than the transplanted grafts on my hairline) so I am wondering if enough time has elapsed.

In this thread, the person indicated that it has been 4 months since their transplant and it seems that no red flags popped up about it being too soon to do electrolysis. @Andrea @Arlene Any thoughts?

It’s best to go by the recommendation of your healthcare provider. They may have information based on seeing you in person that could affect the recommendation.