Gosh it's busy

Is anyone else noticing a dramatic increase in clientele this year? last year was busy as heck, but I have done so many new consultations in the last 2 months I dont even remember them all! There simply is not enough room in my schedule to absorb them all. What is going on this year?

2 Likes

I have noticed an increase.

That’s great news! I hope so, I have only been open and working on other people for 6 weeks and although I’m getting a steady intake of new clients, I cant help but panic, so I’m happy to hear this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I graduate in February and I’m looking forward to getting to work.

psichick and deenglow,

Congratulations to both of you!

Psichick, this is an exciting time for you. keep conveying that knowledge and do everything in your power to keep those clients coming back. In can be scary when you are paying rent and not bringing in a ton of money starting out, I know I had absolute anxiety attacks, but it’s a cumulative process, and the more your reputation increases the more clients will come on board and the better you will do in the long run.Here’s a sneak preview on income for my first second and third years:
Year 1 $5000 after paying expenses ( and extensive office renovations or it would have been closer to 20-25 K. We also didnt operate for the first month and a half of the year.
Year 2 $45000
Year 3 ( closing in 2 more months) we will be hitting 6 figures but I dont know exactly where yet.

Things that help this process along:
GET AND MAINTAIN A GOOGLE MY BUSINESS listing .And encourage your clients to leave you positive reviews.
Use a scheduling system ( I lie schedulicity, but there are many out there) this will help with not having to answer phones when performing a treatment and sort out a lot of issues when clients mae errors in their scheduled times…
Reach out to and provide advice in forums like hairtell , and places like reddit. Find your local subreddits and offer hair removal advice to casual consumers. If there are transgender support groups in your area, reach out there as well. Anything to get your name out there will increase your reputation and your clientele as well.
Hone your systems. Create an automatic charting program or database, so you arent charting manually.
Get an account with square payments, and buy a square terminal. This allows you to process debit and credit card payments, and get paid for them on the same day.

Deenglow, february tends to see an increase in client interest in electrolysis that continues throughout the spring. It’s a great time of year to get your start. You will want to give reasonable expectations to your clients ( lie for example their legs will NOT be cleared or looking great this summer, but it may be possible by next summer) .

Both of you need to spend a lot of time honing and practising your consultation skills. Your consultation is your primary marketing tool, there is no such thing as a 5 minute effective consultation. Mine generally take at least an hour, where I cover in detail pain control, expected treatment length and duration, client specific details such as hormonal issues, whether to shave or not . You need to exude confidence and always have the right answer for a question posed to you. This is NOT something that most electrolysis schools teach you much about, but it’s an essential skill
Its also equally as important to network with other electrologists, and to learn from them. One of the best places I can recommend for this is the Electrology International facebook group

Hoping you both t he best of success, and be sure to reach out if there is anything I can help you with.

Seana

4 Likes

Wow Seana, thank you so much for the great reply!!
I think I do need to work on my consultation skills! No way I could keep it going for an hour!!
Also finding people is what I stress about. Most people so far find me on google, so great advice about keeping that in good standing.
As for the trans community, I’m finding that one tougher. Being in the LBGT community myself, the most important thing to me is to offer a safe and non judgmental space. While I know a few trans people I don’t want to seem like I’m exploiting them for money so I’m finding that hard.
Also thank you for sharing some financial details. I actually find that really helpful in helping me not panic lol
You’re appreciated, thank you :slight_smile:

Employment rate is low, so there’s more disposable income floating around. That means more hair removal!

1 Like

Perfect time to start new electrologists. I have 2 currently, and today one of them is doing one marathon bikini session in one room, while I do another at the same time! It’s nice to see the people working with me, growing in popularity so quickly.

1 Like

Thank you, Seana. I’m thinking about taking another course specifically for transgender work, and joining the BIAE (I emailed about student membership but nobody responded. Why does nobody ever respond to my emails?!) I hope to find work in a salon for a while at least, as setting out on my own from the get go sounds quite daunting. If I struggle to find clients I may return to school again for advanced electrolysis (skin tag removal etc) but I’d like to focus on the tg community.