Going for my first treament next week

It took me a really long time, but I finally decided to get my arms treated first. I’m going to be treated with the Coolglide, and it will cost a total of $1320 for 5 treatments. (They’re letting me pay in 2 installments though.)

This isn’t the clearest picture, but it’ll give you an idea of what my hair growth is like:

photo

The hair on my upper arms is finer, so I’m not sure how well it will work there…from what I’ve read, people have had mediocre results. I’ll be happy with a reduction though.

I’ve never shaved my arms before…any tips?

Also, they gave me some numbing cream and told me to apply it to the bony areas, like my fingers and along the side of my arm. Does this seem sufficient, or should I put it on other parts as well?

Before you shave your arms, get some clippers and trim the hair down to stubble. Then get a M3 Power razor and some Aveeno Positively Smooth Shave Gel. If you shave in the shower all you need is some Suave Body Wash Moisturizing formula (white bottle). It’s cheap and it works great. Don’t press down too hard, especially on the bony areas. Let the razor do the work.

Good luck with your laser treatments. The Coolglide is a good choice for you.

RJC2001

I went for my treatment yesterday…not sure how effective it was. I didn’t have the same nurse that I spoke with during the consultation - she had only been there for 6 months, so I requested to be treated by someone with more experience. Anyway, this more experienced nurse treated me with the Apogee Elite 1064 Nd:YAG, rather than the Coolglide. I haven’t read much about the Apogee. Has anyone else been treated with this laser?

The laser was set to 35 Joules and the pulse width was 30. Do these settings seem reasonable for the first treatment?

I had some bumps and redness for 1-2 hours, but other that that, no real irritation or itching. After the treatment, I could still see and feel all the little hairs/stubble. Is this normal?

Also, I thought that I would need to cleanse my arms before the treatment, but the nurse just wiped off the numbing cream with a paper towel and started treating them right away. She didn’t have me wash them off until after the treatment. I don’t know if it makes a difference or not, but I’m a bit skeptical.

My next treatment is in about 4 and a half weeks. Is this too soon?

Hi Sagi:

I think 4-1/2 weeks is OK. I have heard every 6 weeks, but 4-1/2 should be OK.

Alicia