Getting married... so much dark hair :(

Ever since I hit puberty I’ve been cursed with dark hair all over my body… It’s honestly everywhere - my forearms, upper arms, belly, nipples, toes, etc. It would say it isn’t overly course, except around my underarms, bikini, legs and also around my nipples and navel :(. To top it all off, I have very pale skin. I’ve been very good about keeping it from my fiance (we only see each other certain times during the week due to our schedules, which makes it easier). But we’re getting married soon, so I don’t know how easy it will be to hide all this hair.

When I was about 13 I started using bleach and shaving to control it. I also have used tweezing to control my eyebrows.
In 2008 I started using an epilator. At first it was (and to some degree still is) a God-send. As young as I was, I didn’t have any money to afford waxing my whole body or going to an electrolysist. For the past three years I’ve used my epilator all over my body and face. I’ve had no noticeable negative side effects thus far.

In September 2010 I started undergoing electrolysis treatments in a small-ish area between my breasts. She seemed to be a competent electrolysist and used the blended method but after 10+ weeks of undergoing 1 hour treatments each week I can’t see that she made any improvements.

In Sept 2010 I also started getting laser hair removal treatments on my underarms, nape, nipples and navel. I went to a reputable clinic and know I was treated with a diode but I unfortunately don’t know the strength. I received 7 treatments on each area. I did see improvement at first, but at only a few months after treatment I’m disappointed with how much seems to growing back on my nape, navel and around the nipples (around 40-60% already)

I know that using an epilator is doing damage to the follicles but at this point, is it just too late? I’m getting married in a few weeks. I don’t currently live with my finance and I don’t know how I’ll be able to hide all my body hair from him without continuing to use my epilator…

I don’t have enough money/time to sink into electrolsis since I practically have hair on every single area of my body. I asked the electrolysist how long it would take her to do my sideburns alone, and she said it would 2+ years. Also, I haven’t found a better electrolysis in my area so I’m kind of discouraged. I also have a lot of peach-fuzz on my face amongst the darker hairs, so even if I underwent electroysis I know I would still want to get rid of the peach fuzz…
Plus, I hated having little dark spots around the follicle after treatment so I couldn’t imaging showing up in front of my hubby-to-be with an upper lip full of tiny spots… :frowning:

Shaving and bleaching aren’t effective enough for me. I also don’t think I’d like to control it with meds (if that’s even an option) since I’d like to attempt to become pregnant in the next 1-2 years.

I’d like to try laser again once I save up enough money. If I decide to undergo laser again what type of laser and what level should I be looking for? I’m so lost when it comes to the terminology surrounding lasers.

Should I switch to depilatory cream or waxing at home? Waxing in a salon would be too ridiculously expensive since I need so many areas done so often. I’ve tried the at-home waxing kits in the past, without much success.

I’m just so darn frustrated at this point :frowning:

If you are not ready to undergo any permanent removal, then I guess you have no choice but to continue with the techniques you are using already.

In my opinion and experience, you will have to open up to your husband. You will feel a lot better for it and then you should hopefully have some support if you want to begin your permanent hair removal journey.

You will need to find a good electrologist do deal with the facial hairs, chest hairs and anywhere else where the hairs are fine or medium. Please read through the professional electrolysis section threads. Michael Bono and depilacionelectr are both displaying pictures of their work and what is possible with electrolysis. Then there are member’s like myself that update with photos. It’s likely you may need to travel some distance to find a good electrologist. Many people have a 1-2hr one way journey to their electrologist.
If you’d like feedback on the work you already had, please open a thread in the electrolysis section giving as much detail as possible about your treatment. The size of the area, how dense the hairs were, the electrologist’s technique etc. We may be able to shed some light on why it did not seem to work. It may just be that you didn’t give it long enough. Generally, 10 weeks is nothing, however, if you had 1hr appointments every week for 10 weeks, then you should have at least reached some kind of clearance.

Laser will only work in areas where the hair is coarse and dark. From personal experience I would only recommend it for the underarms, bikini line, lower legs, perhaps front of thighs and possibly lower arms. In the case of lower arms, it will only give you a reduction, if the hairs are coarse enough in the first place. Well, laser can only give you a reduction anywhere but in some areas the reduction can be 90%+ and in other areas such as the arms, maybe only 50%. My laser diary is linked in my signature.
If you would like advice, please open a thread in the Laser section. Try to find out your approximate skin type; give as much info as you can. If you give your location, people may be able to help with clinic recommendations.

I have seen your old post where you mention that you will be starting laser for those areas. It’s a shame you did not research more then. You could have also put that money towards working on areas where you would have have had permanency. I doubt you will ever get results with laser on the nape of the neck and navel as the hairs will most likely not be coarse enough. Even around the nipples is easily done with electrolysis and much cheaper than laser.

• You can’t judge electrolysis effectiveness in 10 weeks. It takes 9-18 months of treatments because hair grows in cycles.

• Laser is great on all coarse dense growth. It’s not that expensive for underarms and bikini. There are tons of deals out there for only $25-50 per treatment. Read our FAQs at the link below to find a good clinic.

• Marriage is based on honesty, first and foremost. I would talk to your fiance. Chances are he already knows and doesn’t want to say anything because it obviously something he sees you don’t want to discuss. But he’s still there, so he’s ok with it (most men are - if he loves you, he accepts everything about you. No one breaks up relationships due to hair).

As a man, I can tell you that your husband to be won’t care about the hair, other than wanting to do something about it just because you want to. What makes you think he doesn’t know about it all ready?