Gentlelase DCD system

Having read alot of the messages posted on this site, I came across one which made me curious about the patented cooling system of the Gentlelase laser. Can anyone tell me what studies have been done relating to the ‘dynamic cooling device’ and whether it does actually reduce the effectiveness of the laser when it cools the skin? Does it lower the energy levels of the laser?

The dcd cooling system ( cryogen) works for protecting the skin very good. I have found out that the laser can lose up to 50% of its energy because it goes through the cryogen and will not penetrate deep enough in the skin to do permanent damage to the root. Cryogen has been around for a long time and works fine for tattoo removal because the laser does not have to go very deep to be affective. I do not have and scientific proof of this but was told this by many people with high credentials. Also i have had 8 treatments with the gentlelase on my back, shoulders, upperarms using the highest settings 15m-30j 60-70 dcd with lousy results, i would say 25-30% reduction and who knows how bad it would have been if i wait 6 months. I have switched to the apogee 9300 and hoping for the best. Its been 5 weeks ago i had my 9th back treatment, my 1st using the apogee and have noticed better shedding and seems to be doing some good damage.

My practitioner tried the Gentlelase and was not impressed with it. They went with the Apogee and eventually switched to the Lightsheer. The Apogee is a good laser. I was treated with it and got good results. The Lightsheer has been even better.

RJC2001

Ktb, the DCD usually goes like this

cryospray-laserzap-cryospray

The before and after is to protect the epidermis, but there is some concern about methods using chilled gels or cold contact with the skin reducing effectiveness despite the increased energy possible with DCD.

The primary issue in effectiveness vs. sparing surrounding tissue is thermal relaxation time. Proper treatment parameters take this into effect when choosing pulse width and energy level.

Unfortunately, there’s not much in the way of data on DCD and effectiveness, but it stands to reason that since laser effectiveness requires a thermal (heat-based) reaction, any cooling is going to diminish effectiveness. Unfortunately, there is still a need to protect the epidermis, so the consumer and practitioner have to find a working point where energy level is as high as tolerable by surrounding skin. This is easier said than done, which is why it’s so important to go to someone with a LOT of experience.

Whew! How’s that for a long-winded answer to a short question? :wink:

[ September 30, 2002, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Andrea ]