Gentle lase max pro settings

Hi there I’m a skin type 1-2 the clinic I use uses this machine and the past couple of treatments they’ve changed the spot size or joules and are treating me with 11 joules and saying that it’s just as effective as the 18 joules with the other spot size. Though I have noticed it’s not because I get more regrow this. What are the correct settings so I can tell them what I want specifically because the 18 joules setting worked better for me.

The smaller the spot size (mm) the higher the fluence (j/ cm^2)
The setting is always flexible depending on how the client feel in each session.
Rule of thump: Look for perifollicular edema few minutes after firing

For more info please visit my facebook Upwey Laser. I posted info that clients should be aware there.

The fact they define the fluence as Joules per square centimeter implies the spot size doesn’t matter. Lowering from 18J/cm^2 to 11J/cm^2 reduces energy delivered per square cm regardless of spot size chosen. 11J/cm^2 will obviously be less effective at vaporizing hair than 18J/cm^2.

In other words, if the spot size covers 1 square cm at a setting of 11J/cm^2, the machine must emit 11J of energy. If the spot size covers 2 square cm, the machine must emit 22J of energy at a setting of 11J/cm^2.

Also, larger spot sizes have deeper penetration because of how light refracts under the skin. So even if they switched to a smaller spot size and kept J/cm^2 the same, smaller spot will be less effective on deeper hair.

Here’s a research study showing larger spot size was 10.3% more effective. So I would ask to switch back to larger spot. If they won’t, at least switch back to 18J. Either way, your tech is either trying to cheat you by claiming 11J smaller spot is the same as 18J larger spot, or they need to be educated how their machine works.

Continuing the discussion from Gentle lase max pro settings:

Hi everyone, hope I’m posting this question correctly.

I’ve been having laser treatments for a few years with great success with the gentle lase pro - alex laser, on Brazilian, underarms, legs and buttocks. The pricing is very affordable where I live (Melbourne, Australia). I have two maintenance treatments a year, and I am satisfied with the results on everywhere except buttocks. (legs- very fine hair, barely any hair remaining, never bother shaving it, under arms- maybe three hairs remaining on each underarm, brazilian- very fine hairs, which I’m happy with- not looking to be hairless) I’m normally treated on a lower setting for brazillan as it’s just an area that’s included in the overall price- and i’m not bothered by the hair.

the hair on my buttocks has mostly remained the same- the thicker hairs have gone, however, the remaining hair that has stayed is fine- it is dark, but fine. I don’t know what the best setting is for this type of hair. I am light skinned, and have been treated with the alexandrite laser.

The settings that I know are being used currently are:

15j/20mm

I’ve been advised this is as “strong” as I can go.

I am moving to different clinic soon, same machine, and they are open to using better settings if applicable upon inspection of the area. I just want to know if anyone can suggest what would be the most optimal setting to use?..I believe i’m missing one component to the settings- which is wave length?

I know electrolysis would most likely benefit me more for this area- however, I just want to give laser one more go, on the most optimal setting- as it is quite affordable to at least try.

appreciate all responses.

My humble opinion, without seeing a picture is, you need electrolysis. Laser did its job, according to the laws of laser physics. Laser is not so great for thin hairs, even if they are black.

It’s hard to say without more information, but there are diminishing returns with laser, so at some point you will not see significant improvement. Usually this is after 6-8 sessions.

At that point you may need to choose a different method.