For Spiro takers or Researchers:Side effects

It’s been a while since I’ve posted, but I thought I would check in and throw a couple questions out there.

I’ve been on Spiro 100mg/day for just over a year now. I really have not had any negative side effects. In the first few weeks, I would feel naucious at times and had to pee A LOT, but that’s about it. I was perusing the internet recently doing more “research” on spiro and came across a side effect of spiro that I had not read about before. It was jaundice, which is usually a sign of liver disease. So of course I started looking at my skin and the whites of my eyes to see if it was turning yellow. My eyes seem normal. There were some darker spots that were and orangish pink color, but after having inspected the eyes of people in my office, I realized it was normal. I’m one of those people who will convince myself that I have something wrong with me. I don’t do it for attention…it actually scares the hell out of me when I think something’s wrong. So of course I have olive skin tone with a yellowish undertone, but still made myself start thinking my skin is turning yellow. Anyway, I know in my head I’m working myself up for nothing.

What I really came on here for was to ask if anyone who is on spiro or who knows someone on spiro or has researched the topic, has ever seen or heard anything like this before? What would be going on to cause this? I’ve read that a side effect of birth control is jaundice. I’m just wondering if every medicaion has this as a possible side effect.

Thanks for any answers.

I assume a doctor prescribed it? You need to ask him or her, and get blood tests, instead of trying to diagnose yourself because of what people on a hair removal page tell you. Any medicine can have serious side effects. Birth control pills can cause liver problems.

Actually, many medications have a negative effect on the liver, kidneys and the bladders. It is criminal the way that people are directed to take these things, and not given the information on how to guard, or recover their health after taking them.

Some would say that the average person on Spirolactalone really needed only to drink more water, more frequently.

I was told by my doctor that I should also have potassium levels checked while taking spiro. I can’t remember off the top of my head if it was to look for increased or decreased amounts. And yes, you will pee a lot, it’s a medicine often used for hyper tension as well so it acts as a dieretic.

Spiro is a potassium sparing diuretic, so your doctor is focused on the potassium INCREASING in your body. You have to watch what you eat and avoid foods that contain a lot of potassium and consuming them in high amounts.

how necessary is it to avoid potassium-rich foods?

I know what they are and will happily avoid eating crazy amounts of them. however, a healthy diet will inevitably contain potassium rich foods

any experiences with how to balance healthy eating and spiro?

Aldactone/Sprirolactone reduces the amount of potassium that is excreated in the urine. While you are on this drug, you must see to it that your kidneys are working well, as they will be expected to pick up the slack from the extra potassium that will be available. Look into supplementation that will boost kidney performance, and heal a damaged kidney for this action. A second problem is that while the total amount of potassium in the body may be normal, the amount that is present in the blood stream may be elavated due to the effects of Aldactone/Sprirolactone. You should also make sure that your water intake is at an optimum level so that you are not excreating via the skin, nor dumping toxicity into your blood stream.