Fluid under skin

For a lot of questions posted here about certain skin reactions, the healing skin videos 1-4 are often recommended. I asked a question a while ago about one of the conditions and i wanted to follow up again.

In the beginning of video 4, there is a person with a raised patch of skin on the cheek. The author explained it was a collection of fluid caused by clearing an area. He said it was “of no lasting consequence” and it can be avoided by “not clearing” so I’d assume it eventually would be reabsorbed into the skin and flatten out.

I had a clearing on my upper lip and i have that collection of fluid. It is taking an excruciatingly long time to go away and i am so upset about how long it is lasting. Does anyone have any ideas of how long it takes to go away and if there are any treatments to help it along?

I do see that the area IS getting smaller so I’m optimistic it isn’t permanent… but my goodness…it is taking forever!! Can anyone offer any advice based on their experience?

Although I probably didn’t go into detail on video 4, the swelling (fluid) is a histamine reaction. This is like a mosquito that bites you, but the swelling is from your own body’s reaction to the bite. Now imagine a small spot on your skin that has numerous mosquito bites … the whole area would swell up … just like your upper lip.

Also consider that the upper lip is a “flap” of skin and has a relatively limited blood supply. For example, a treatment on a man’s back can react, but there is an elaborate collateral blood supply to more quickly clear the area of the swelling. Yes, the lip and face stays swollen much longer than an area treated on the body: less tissue, thinner skin and relatively less blood supply on the face.

If you had no fluid leaking or other signs of over-treatment, you’re probably okay. Be careful icing the area so you don’t injure the tissues. Actually, at this point ice is useless. There are a number of anti-inflammation creams available (steroid types) … best by prescription. Ask your physician.

In this illustrations, you see the blood vessels that supply blood (and clear inflammation) on the upper lip. Again, the body has far more vessels to both heal and clear the skin. Dentists and surgeons are VERY mindful of not injecting an anesthetic (with epinephrine) in those main upper lip vessels. Doing so can temporarily shut-off the blood supply and, for electrology, that would be terrible … especially if the area had been cleared.

6ca99950a2d0bf46621f3b3e3f4c9c70--anatomy-aesthetics

1 Like

Thank you for the response! What types of steroid cream has worked to reduce the swelling? I asked a dermatologist about using a steroid cream and they said not to because it can thin the skin and also a risk of periorificial dermatitis. I’m not sure how true that is or if the risk is that likely if only used for a short amount of time. I certainly do not want to do anything to make it worse but I’d hate to not try something that could reduce the swelling. Would you try hydrocortisone 1% or something else?

I would go along with your dermatologist … a steroid type cream should only be used for a few days. The dermatologist is probably concerned that, like many patients, they over-do the remedy and get into more trouble. I’d just wait it out.