Fizzing sound during electrolysis?

Hi everyone,

I’ve been having facial electrolysis for a few years now, with pretty good results so far. However, I’ve been a bit concerned with my more recent treatments. The main thing is that whenever I go I hear a loud fizz/crackle sound with almost every insertion. I asked the electrologist about this and she said it’s nothing to worry about and is actually a good sign because it means it’s ‘killing the hair at the root’ but I’m not entirely buying that. What exactly causes this?

I’ve also noticed some small, probe sized indentations on bits of my face that I assume are from electrolysis as they weren’t there before, as well as hyperpigmentation/dots that have not gone away in about 2 months in an area I usually don’t get hyperpigmentation in. Not sure if this is from potential overtreatment or not. I’ll try to attach photos later.

Thanks everyone and I’d appreciate any insight on this :slight_smile:

There are several causes for the fizzle (thermolysis). Among the explanations is the more simple answer: “vaporizing” some tissue.* I’d like to see the needle after she withdraws it from the follicle to see if there is desiccated skin tissue stuck to the needle. That fizzle is tissue that should remain in the follicle … and, you can imagine the consequences. Does she seem to stop, now-and-then, to clean-off the needle (of desiccated tissue)?

*Some electrologists say that they’re only vaporizing “water” in the follicle. However, there is no water in the follicle … moisture only exists in the cells and surrounding blood vessels. If there was water in your follicles, you could squeeze your skin and watch the water come out. THAT does not happen.

1 Like

Actually, you just made me remember that she does indeed seem to clean the probe every now and then and sometimes I feel a ‘sticky’ sensation when she removes it. Can this cause any long term damage? What needs to be done to prevent this?

OMG … NOT good at all.
Too much current and basically this is pulling tissue out of the follicle. In a good treatment you might hear such a sound once or twice in an hours’ treatment.
The sticking feeling IS actually sticking … tissue stuck to the needle and the follicle and then torn-out. I have a Hinkel video on this subject and you might want to check out the Hinkel videos.
To prevent this? Well, it’s up to the electrologist to correctly set her machine. That she doesn’t think this is an issue is very troubling.

1 Like

Oh god, kinda worried now! What’s the extent of the damage this can cause? I will definitely mention this next time I go. It’s odd because they are supposedly very reputable and this whole excessive fizzing/sticking during electrolysis seems to be a recent thing.

My guess is that they are not taking enough time to use the properly-sized needle. Today, we are sort of stuck with poorly designed needles; but even so the diameter when using thermolysis is critical. In a normal facial treatment, I often change needles 2 or 3 times. There is also an excessively negative situation called “high frequency blow-out” … but most likely that’s not what’s happening in your case.

Just for “giggles” the next time you’re in the office, ask what brand needle she’s using … and what size. could be a K2 or K3 … etc. I’d be interested.