First time electrolysis on chin- is this healing normal?

Hiya!
I received electrolysis for the first time on Monday, a 30 minute session on my skin. I have sensitive, spot prone skins so I tend to not get too worried if I have reactions to skin treatments but this seems a bit much? My initial after care was just using a gentle cleanser for the first two days and now it’s scabbing I’ve been adding moisturiser. The person who did my treatment recommended this healing balm thing to me but it has a bunch of different oils in it that in the past have not reacted well with me (example coconut oil). So I haven’t used it. I’m in south east queensland, Australia if that’s relevant.

Sorry poor quality images. Top is day of treatment, bottom is 4 days after.

Thank you for taking the time to read

Im not a professional, though this is over treatment. Dont touch the skin again until it has healed. Dont get electrolysis in this area again. Dont go the same electrologist.

1 Like

As the person above wrote, this is overtreatment. The fluid leaking from your skin after the treatment is plasma, which is a clear indication of overtreatment. In addition to that, widespread scabbing from facial treatment is not acceptable. The fact that they are large scabs and connected is concerning.

There is no such thing as sensitive skin in the electrolysis world. There are acceptable reactions and unacceptable reactions, and this is unacceptable and completely avoidable.

Continue with your gentle skincare routine. Moisturiser is fine, but avoid anything that will exfoliate or dry your skin out. Do not rub or pick at the scabs. Since you live in a sunnier part of Australia, take extreme care to limit sun exposure and wear 50+ SPF when staying out of the sun is not possible.

Monitor the area over the next few weeks and take photos of the healing progress. Since this was only one treatment, I believe it will heal either completely or mostly given enough time, but you should expect maybe more than a year to reach that point.

When you’re further along in healing, you can start to think about using silicone or creams to help it along, but it would be better to consult a dermatologist if you can. You may not need to if you’re noticing good progress in healing.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback, I definitely won’t return back to the same provider and follow your advice.

How do you think this would impact future electrolysis on the spot? For example is there an amount of time I should wait before going for another treatment elsewhere or is it just a wait and see how it heals thing? I really don’t want to quit on electrolysis, as like many, I really want this chin hair gone.

Thanks a lot!

Definitely not properly treated. U need to wait at least few months or 1/2 a yr or longer until u can have another treatment. otherwise PERMANENT scars can develop and they will stay forever the rest of your life.

Stay away from things/sources that create heat and frictions, no alcohol containing products, no topical vitamin c, no topical retinol/other vitamin A derivatives, no serum, no acids, no alkaline for at least a few months. Ensure all the products that u use to wash/clean your skin is mild neutral and free from all the mentioned chemicals and etc.

Only silicone gel and only this is highly recommend to minimise scar formation

1 Like

How long would you stay away from vitamin A and C serums? Until the scabs are gone? Could the OG poster use antibiotic ointment to keep the scabs moist and reduce possibility of infection?

please read my reply above again “for at least a few months.”

Moreover, i only refer to topical products only.

U can still ingest vitamins & supplements via other means.

Excerpt from Kids Health Information : Cuts, grazes and lacerations : "Why are antiseptic lotions and creams not recommended for use on wounds?

… they can also be irritating to wounds … and delay healing. For these reasons they are not recommended, unless you are specifically advised to use them by your doctor…"

Hi there, first off what method of treatment did your electrologist use? For a 30 minute treatment it is a bit alarming to see this kind of a reaction. The plasma that is weeping from your chin is a protective measure to heal your skin. The plasma will eventually create a scab. The important thing is not to prematurely pick any of the scabbing off your chin. If you do, there’s a good chance of pitting (large holes) or scarring. The operator may have used too high a current for your skin type. The chin tends to be a denser area of hair growth. I usually prefer to thin the area first with electrolysis. This way it isn’t as intense and shocking to the dermis. For home care…I usually suggest my clients clean the treated area with 3% hydrogen peroxide over the next three days. The hydrogen peroxide (tingling sensation let’s you know it’s working) will draw out any impurities such as oils, and dirt from the dermis. No creams the first day after your electrolysis treatment. The second day you may resume back to your usual routine but still apply the hydrogen peroxide as often as you like. I also would suggest applying polysporin cream (not the gel) to also help calm down your skin. Cold compresses are also a good idea to place on the treated area. Be kind to yourself. Your skin should be back to normal in a few weeks. By then you can return back to your treatments. I have been a board certified electrologist for 40 years. TRUST!! I would suggest calling your electrologist and letting them know about your skin reaction. Communication is so important. Sometimes it can happen when an electrologist will over treats an area. As long as the client is aware and it isn’t causing them a lot of pain or discomfort, the skin is pliable. As I have mentioned, the chin is a smaller area and an intense area to treat. Sometimes your electrologist may get a bit over zealous and want to remove as much of the hair off of your face and you’re going to have a reaction. That’s sometimes part of the course, and procedure. You’re going to have a reaction. I have worked 100’s of hours on my trans clients and there are times the client may feel beat up. The skin is an incredibly resilient organ, and it can bounce back. As long as the needle insertions are done correctly and you’re not feeling any tugging or pulling on the hairs. You should be alright. Please also make sure the person you are seeing is certified. Safety should come first in our industry . All the best to you.