first day.....info and few questions

Well, I just had my consultation today for electrolysis on my shoulders and upper back. The lady was great and told me she has been doing this for 22 years. She chose the thermolysis method because my hair is very thin and pretty easy, according to her. In fact, she cleared the whole area in a little over a half hour, which I thought was impressive (although I really don’t have too much hair, but just enough that I wanna get this done).

Anyway, my first question is: does practice make perfect in this art of electrolysis? For example, will someone who’s been doing it for 20 years be better than someone who’s been doing it for 5, or can some people just be good at it naturally without much experience?

My second question is that she recommended the next appointment to made in two weeks. Is this normal, or should I wait less than two weeks for my second time around? I’m sure it depends on what type of hair and skin you have, I guess. All I can say is that when she saw the area she was going to be working on, she said it was pretty easy and the hairs are not very deep so it shouldn’t take too long for them to thin out and eventually go away. By the way, I’m white with a hispanic background, tan easily (don’t really burn). Anyway, let me know if you need more information. Thanks.

when i am working on my body, i usually do wait about 2-4 weeks, sometimes 6, between treatments. i would say for sure that all of our bodies are different and so it’s hard to tell but the body hair i work on grows slower than facial hair. i wait 4-6 weeks before getting my underarms cleared for instance and that works out really well for me. so i would think for your back and shoulders two weeks between treatments would be fine and there might not even be hair there that soon so you might could stretch it to four or so.

Because of the difference in learning curves, and even teaching methods, (and in our profession, having something to actually teach in some cases) it is possible for an electrologist who has fewer years of experience to be better for your particular situation than another electrologist with many more years experience. This happens because many electrologists don’t keep current with the changing times, and don’t upgrade equipment, or techniques. In this way, it is possible for a longtime electrologist to be faster than the person with fewer years (although the newer one could even be faster in many cases) but the practitioner with less years, may know more about using the newer machines, and procedures and therefore can deliver a better treatment experience.

This is why we tell you to just do the hard work of going to every electrologist you can find in your area for a sample treatment and consultation before settling on anyone. There really is no easy way to find out who will be best for you.

Some practitioners have become “Jedi Masters” with their Kree Thermolysis Units, while others are just using old equipment in ways that are far outpaced by new machines, and techniques that are not recommended for use with the older stuff. At the same time, a person with a newer computerized machine who treats it like a Kree, will not be giving the best treatment the machine has to offer either.

I hope I am not serving to confuse you. The short answer is, yes it is possible for a practitioner with fewer years experience to be better for the work you want done than someone with many more years experience.

Thank you both for your responses. Since I already scheduled my next appointment to be two weeks after the consultation , I will just have to see how the hair grows back and if I have to push it back or anything.

As far as checking with other practitioners in my area, unfortunately this is probably gonna be it. Not that she’s bad or anything (although I’ve only gone once, and I thought she was great), but I drove by the other nearby place that does electrolysis and it looks like this person is doing at her own house. I don’t know if that’s normal or not, but I would much rather prefer to go to an office.

Anyway, I will keep you all updated with how everything goes. Thanks again.

Don’t rule out the home practitioner, I think James may be able to vouch for me on this one…just because someone has an office doesn’t make them any better than anybody else. If I were you I’d go for a consultation anyways and check it out.

On the other hand, many semi-retired electrologists have given up the office and its rent and only work casually out of their homes by referral only. You would be lucky to even know who these people are.

We really gave you the definitive word previously, all over this site, (Sing with me now folks) The only way to know who is the best person for your job, is to get sample consultations from as many practitioners as you can find in your area, and make a final choice only after you have done so.

At best, you find more than one person good enough to do the job, and can use those others when your first choice person is booked, and in the second worst case situation, you find that there is only one person in your are who is good enough, and you would not have known that had you not looked at everyone

(the worst case is finding out that no one in your area is good enough, and the only person you know who meets your standards is far, far away.)

Do yourself a favor and read very carefully this site: ElectrolysisInformation.com and if you have further questions ask us or email me directly.

Again, thank you all for your responses. I had my first real treatment today. We’ll see how this all goes.

Be careful when you hear the excuse “distorted hair follicles”! I have research this topic before I wrote my book to exhaustion. Less than 1% of the human body may contain distorted hair. There is absolutely no distorted hair in it’s early stages of hair growth, “Lay Terms!”

This is why a patient must schedule appointments accordingly.

The Ballet Needle Company has a wonderful tape that I used in my conferences that actually shows a needle entering a slightly curved hair follice and as it does the follicle straightens it self out as a finger would to a glove.

Thermoloysis, short wave, alternating current used in the flash method by expert hands can do miracles! If all electrologists used it properly there would be no lasers on the market today.