Finding electrologists in the UK

A reader send this along:

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”> Hi, I’ve been lurking on the Hairtell boards today and noticed a few messages regarding the difficulty in finding an electrolysist in the UK. I personally didn’t find the British Association of Electrolysists helpful as they simply have a list of people who have passed their own exams. I won’t be joining them even though I am fully qualified because I don’t feel they can offer me anything. As someone who is hoping to open a clinic one day I am packing myself off to Canada for some decent training, as it is sadly lacking in the UK. I don’t feel ready yet, despite passing my exams.

Anyone looking for a decent electrolysist in the UK should check for two things:

1 A license from the local authority, who will have asked to see qualifications and checked the premises for health and safety regulations.

2 Proof of membership to a trade organisation such as the Guild of Beauty Therapists, BABTEC or the BAE. Again, they will have checked for qualifications but they are more thorough because they also provide insurance.

The most common qualification is a diploma from the college running the course. There are also optional exams called NVQ3 and IHBT, but they don’t really mean much.

Hope this helps! </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>

[ April 29, 2003, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Andrea ]