finding a professional

Hi,

In the summer, I tried using the OneTouch Electrolysis, and I think I am done using it. The only thing I’ll try it again is for the few hairs on my breasts.

I cannot make the committment using the OneTouch. It really strains my back, neck and arms trying to remove the trail of hairs below my belly buttons, and the very few hairs on my chest. It really hurts to do this continually, so I realize I need to have this done by a professional.

Looking now that almost 5 months have passed, I can see some of the dots where the hair was removed and see that they haven’t grown back, but there are still a lot that have grown back.

I also had a few ingrowns that were a pain in the ass waiting and trying to remove them because they would be red for weeks.

I also have dots where I inserted the stylet tips. I realize I am probably not doing this right and will lead to more scarring if I continue to do so, but I am not too worried about it because I know that it’ll go away by next year, so I am not that worried.

Okay, so my final questions are that hasn’t been answered by the other forum.

1. How do I search for a certified electrologist?

2. Just because they are certified, does it always mean that they are good?

3. Can I find out the prices before I go, or do I need consultation first before I find out the price?

I got a brochure with two cards of 2 electrologist of the dermatology clinic that I go to, and I am wondering, how do I know that these 2 women are good?

I read the brochure and it says that there are different methods which are:

1)Galvanic

2)Thermolysis

3)Blend electrolysis

I thought it was electrolysis. Are these methods effective?

Please someone respond as I am really considering going for a consultation in the very near future possibly in December 2003 if there’s an available appointment just for consultation now that I am off of college for the break.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

I would say that you should post this information in the DIY section, because the people who need to hear that doing it yourself is not worth the time and hassle, especially if you don’t have a partner to help out and trade work with are reading that section, and not this one.

Although certified electrologists have proven themselves capable of passing a test, and willing to spend extra money on obtaining certifications and on going education, that doesn’t mean some one without certifications can’t be good. (Cheap maybe, but they still can be good) On the other hand, having certifications don’t prove one is a great electrologist either. There is just no substitute for actually getting sample treatments and consultations with the people you are considering having your work done by.

Here also, price is not something that can really be judged without consult and sample treatments. Electrolysis should not be shopped on price! Even if you want to find the best deal, the dollars per hour are meaningless to true value. An electrologist with up to date equipment, skilled enough to provide the most comfortable treatment available who also has lightning fast speed, is a much greater value than a “cheap rate per hour deal” where you are in pain, fewer hairs per square centimeter are being treated, and your skin reaction is obvious for weeks afterwards.

If you have the vacation to work with, I would just find out who all the practitioners in your area are, and try to make a consult and sample treat appointment with them all, and make a decision at the conclusion of that research. None of us likes the fact that finding an electrologist is not as easy as looking for the “good housekeeping seal of approval” but it is a fact of life. If you are not so lucky as to live in an area where some of the electrologists whose work has been commented on in this forum, or some other place with trustworthy feedback, you are starting at zero with lots of homework to do. Even if you do live someplace where someone who has been spoken of on this forum is close by, that doesn’t mean that person is the best you can get in that area either. I would start with the people who have CPE’s and work backwards from there. You will find a listing of CPE’s in your area at Electrology.com

We ask that you take one for the team and post your findings in the referral section so you can blaze the trail for the next person from your area who is looking for the all important answer to the all important most frequently asked question on this site; Who is good in MyTown, MyCountry, Planet Earth.

Electrolysis is a process that covers 3 methods. Original electrolysis is Galvanic. Thermolysis is a faster method that requires greater percision for effectiveness, and Blend joins the two together to get the best of both worlds, faster speed than galvanic alone, higher kill rate with less percision needed than thermolysis alone.

That is an oversimplification, but it gives you the layman’s idea. All are electrolysis, but I would be most comfortable with someone who offered all three or at least two of the 3 as options.

[ December 07, 2003, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: James W. Walker VII, CPE ]

Thank you for answering my questions.

One of the thing that I am confused about because I don’t know enough of this…

You said to get samples from as many electrologist in my area, but if they offer free samples, how many hairs will they pluck? I mean, will I have enough hair for several of them to do a sample?

Some of them don’t say that they offer free consultation, and I assume that they don’t offer it then.

Most free sample treatments are 5 to 15 minutes. In that time, since it will be your first treatment with that electrologist, not very many hairs will be done. Possibly as little as 5 to 15 hairs. This is due to the time it will take to find the settings that work best on you.

If you are reading this board, you probably have enough hairs to spread around for every electrologist in your area to do 5 to 15 of them this month.