Finasteride And Hirsutism

How often is finasteride used for hirsutism? I’ve done lots of research online, and study after study has confirmed its effectiveness in treating idiopathic hirsutism. In most studies, it works as well as spironolactone. I am a TG person, and had orchiectomy surgery several years ago and now take estrogen. After surgery my body hair growth declined, but I still have too much and I believe my hair follicles are very sensitive to ANY testosterone and, especially, DHT. I cannot take spironolactone; I already have low blood pressure, and spironolactone causes awful dizziness.

So, my doctor prescribed finasteride. All well and good. However, I came across a few websites that suggest that in some people, finasteride can cause long term/permanent health problems. These people (all of them men) claimed that the drug screwed up their hormone levels, caused permanent impotence, and led to depression and anxiety. Now, I don’t much care about the sexual performance issues (obviously) but I do worry about some of the other stuff reported. None of it’s been proven, but it’s scared me enough that I am afraid to take it now.

Any advice or insight?

That is a really tough call

I read that if you take a lower dosage it is still effective but I don’t know if that is the case in TG people since their needs are obviously different than those of a hyperandrogenic woman.

I wish there were more studies about this.

maybe you can try a low dose for a while and see? they say results happen in 2 months with that drug so why not try a low dose for 2 months and see if you can just still with less. That won’t rule out problems but it can help maybe

alternatively you can deal with the dizzyness as long as you are not fainting. dizziness is better than some of the possible alternatives I think but its your call.

Hi:

I’m taking 2.5 mg/day (half of a proscar tablet) mostly
to aid in retaining or possibly getting back a bit of
scalp hair. I haven’t noticed any side effects from taking it.
How much it helps with the body hair I can’t really say.
Some of it has reduced, but how much of that was due
to the lack of testosterone from testes, and how much
if any is due to proscar is anyone’s guess?
It’s better than it was, but there’s still some
I’d like to get rid of.

Why don’t you try it and see how it works on yourself.
A lot of these fact sheets list a bunch of possible side
effects which might affect a small percentage of users,
and might not necessarily affect you as an individual.

The question is that since these studies were on men,
did they develope anxiety based on decreased testosterone
or decreased sexual function? Obviously that would not
affect you.

if you read the summaries of the phase II and III trials you will see that the listed side effects appear at approximately the same frequency as the placebo group. Remember that everything on the internet is true and the FDA doesn’t know aspirin from tree bark. Now really, the commonly listed side effects of this drug affect middle aged men all the time for no good reason. Of course people are going to blame the drug. Finasteride is safe at very high doses.

Interestingly, Avodart does have side effecs that show up with slightly greater frequency than the placebo.

Even with no testicles (just as in genetic women) it’s possible you could still have high levels of adrenal testosterone, which can be converted to DHT, fueling hormone-based hair growth. The “Hair Loss” paragraph at the Wikipedia page for Finasteride also provides good information. Finally, you might also consider Avodart (dutasteride) for preventing further hair loss.

Finasteride is the only medication I have taken for more than a few days in my life! I take Fincar from India and split it into 4 pieces so its very cheap. I used to take one pill every 2 days, but lately its more like 5 pills per week (so per 7 days). I am certain that the drug caused my scalp hair quality and quantity to improve, and my crown area no longer looks bald from a feet away. I don’t think Finasteride has reduced my body hair at all. Once in a while, I do feel like my beard is growing slowly the day after I take a pill (I usually take one at night).

I have read some of those anti-finasteride sites, and was a bit concerned too. However, I have had no side effect other than a lower libido. I doubt that Finasteride can make you depressed or anxious or stressed. The lower libido side effect is more common, but you don’t care about that so I say go for it.

I heard that Wal Mart now has very cheap generic Finasteride/Propecia, but you need a prescription. When I buy Fincar from an online website, I need no prescription. Obviously, many or even most people will prefer not buying from an online pharmacy.