Feeling helpless regarding my hair

Since I started shaving I always had difficulty. I use temporary removal methods on both my body hair and facial hair, which becomes rather time consuming and agitating since my hair grows very quickly.

I tend to use nair on my body since it causes very little post irritation and after a few days I get ingrown hairs all over my legs to the point where I tend to wear long pants to hide them. Threading ends up with me spending days trying to remove all my hair. Using a razor seems to cause razor burn and bumps no matter how I try to prevent it, and it
becomes very unsightly on my face. It tends to force me to not get as close a shave as I can because I don’t want the have constant bumps on my face.

My mother keeps attempting to get me to stop trying so hard to remove my hair, by constantly trying to talk me out of attempting waxing my body and face. I eventually attempted get her support on trying permanent hair removal which she is completely opposed to - feeling it is entirely unsafe and too expensive to be worthwhile. She also feels that since I’m male I should have no problem with it, and doesn’t understand why I feel so much grief regarding my hair.

To some extent I’ve considered trying to get the procedure regardless, but have difficulty finding a viable method. I’m a student in college and would have to find a way to finance it despite having an extremely small budget. I also cannot find a certified electrologist in my area and feel afraid of the laser hair removal operators since most don’t seem very experienced. There was one operator who was a medical doctor, but he doesn’t give free consultation and isn’t cheap. The only option I can think of would be going to Chicago for treatment which in travel alone would cost me at least fifty dollars round trip.

To some extent I feel a bit trapped and unsure what to do. I’m sick of the constant issues my hair is causing me and the constant detraction it causes to my facial appearance. At least my body hair I can cover up most of the time.

• One temporary option you can consider is trimming with a trimmer. Hair on male legs is normal, but if you feel like you have too much, that would help it look more tidy.

• Laser works great on legs. It can reduce the hair in 3-4 treatments too if you don’t want most of it gone. Legs have long hair cycles and you’ll only need treatments once every 12-16 weeks.

• If you consider laser, please read our FAQs carefully. Being a doctor has nothing to do with being good at hair removal. What’s important is that the person who is treating you has lot of experience actually using that laser on many people for years with good results. Overlapping is important to avoid patchiness for example.

• The last link below gives information on finding someone with a good laser near you. There are also posts about Chicago on the forum. Run a search for recommendations expanding to 2-3 years via Advanced Search.

• Most clinics take credit cads and offer financing options btw.