Favorite concealer for in-between treatments?

Hello,
I’m curious from those of you getting treatments on your face-- what is your favorite concealer for hiding the shadow between appointments? I recently began electrolysis treatments on my chin and lip and the grow out between appointments is bothering me.

It’s especially noticeable on my upper lip. I was a plucker for many many years so I’m dealing with all these little pests being on their own schedule. Like many of you I’m sure, I work in an office and am still trying to have a social life and am feeling self conscious. Any coping tips are much appreciated.

Thanks!

PS Much thanks is due to HairTell for giving me courage to begin this journey. Once I have a few more treatments under my belt and more observations I will start a treatment journal because I found the others very helpful.

Well, it might depend on the intensity of the shadow, won’t it?

Mine was pretty significant, so initially i had to stick with Camouflage (professional makeup by Kryolan, made for the stage…).

After 6 sessions of IP the shadow was at least reduced enough so that i could switch to normal makeup. I used Estee Lauder “Maximum Cover”.

Beate

Same thoughts as beate.

If it requires quite a decent coverage, you can also try dermablend if you cannot find kryolan.

It is a noticeable shadow and fairly dark on the non-shaving days I have leading up to my appointment.

Currently I use Loreal True Match (a liquid, light to medium coverage) and it’s not doing the job at all. If I can find the theater makeup I will try it out…I’m willing to experiment. And maybe I will screw up my courage to ask the helpful ladies at Sephora about my issue and report back. I’m sure they’ve heard it all.

Please keep in mind that theater makeup is designed for the lighting conditions in a theater: directed light, low color temperature, hard contrasts. During the day, this might lead to a face like a mask, and it requires quite a heavy rest of the facial design. And it is hard to apply “thin”. I have been really happy not needing it any more.

There are lighter products available.

Anyway: Kryolan has a brand named Artdeco (here in Germany) who also offer camouflage makeup, however in relatively small quantities. Maybe that is better suited for tests?

BTW: the other company i mentioned, offers another product which we have used to cover a full reddish/blonde beard. Not as heavy as camouflage but it worked a bit better than the “maximum cover” product.

The more expensive cosmetical products can and should be tested in the shop.

So this can be used to cover up the redness post-treatment?

I’ve heard good things about MAC concealers and have been meaning to try them (albeit not for hair). They’re not crazy expensive ($16?) so maybe pay their counter a visit and try them out. They have different levels of coverage too.

My electro-lady advised me not to put makeup on right after treatment. She prefers her clients wait a day or two but admits she knows we are all going to do it anyway and so says I should at least wait until it’s not red and to use clean brushes/fingers and makeup that’s not ancient. I have to take the bus to appointments so I just walk around with a scarf around my face like a weirdo. Ha!

I got some Make Up Forever Extreme Concealer–very high pigmented. The real test will be the day of my appointment when I’m all scraggly.

Thanks, maybe I’ll check out MAC too if my MUF doesn’t cut the mustard. Thank goodness for Sephora’s return policy!

Although i used the estte lauder makeup after treatments i would not recommend it. There are safer options, e.g. medical concealers intended to cover facial akne. And there is lotio cordis.

Beate

Hello Beate (and anyone else who may be able to help),

Would you be able to recommend any specific medical concealers or facial creams that don’t clog the pores and may be available in North America/Canada? I realize that you are not based here, but any information would be appreciated. I am sure I can find something online even if it’s not available in stores here.

I usually don’t apply anything for 48 hours except for organic aloe vera gel (lily of the desert) as well as the polysporin and hydrocortisone cream my electrologist recommends. I have been doing electrolysis since July this year, once a week. Recently, my upper lip started looking like I have a permanent shadow. It doesn’t really go down significantly between appointments. I have very fair/transparent skin and am quite worried since I start teaching full classes of adult learners soon.

I don’t usually wear foundation or anything like that and would rather not start having to, but any kind of concealer combined with a facial cream (i use neutrogena for sensitive skin at the moment which is not really suitable for our very dry winters in Canada) would make all the difference.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Helena

I used to use some of the tinted Sterex creams. They can be a bit too cakey for my tastes, but they do hide redness and promote healing, especially immediately after.

http://sterexusa.com/after-care-range/

Thanks, Andrea, I did look them up on their website before.

Do you know if the clear option also covers significantly?

Most tinted creams don’t work too well for me. I was actually looking for a clear/whiteish option. I have used Andalou naturals untinted BB cream before which has a nice matting effect because of the zinc oxide but it does not cover quite enough, and it tends to clog my pores, plus it is scented which is a little irritating to my skin though natural.

If you have sensitive skin or are likely to have breakouts, I’d go to a local Sephora or Clinique counter for consults about non-comedogenic options.

The clear is just that, at least when I used it.

Thanks Andrea.