Facial hair stimulation by laser? Need help...

Hello, I am new here in the Forums. I had no idea there was such a site with extensive information about Hair Removal. It really is quite informative. In the last month or so I have learned a lot more about hair types et etc than I ever bothered to the rest of my life.

Let me tell you a bit more about myself: I am a Portuguese female and I am 26 years old. Last year I decided to have laser treatment to remove the hair on my upper lip, since I always hated waxing it every two weeks. The technician also suggested I do the chin area as well because there were a few numbers of coarser hair there that I occasionally tweezed. Nothing too outstanding. Do I wish I could go back in time now…

A bit about my countenance: I have dark brown hair and pale skin. I’m not sure of what level type but my skin is very white. Anyways, I followed treatment at the clinic monthly. I started wondering that it was strange that between treatments the hair would always grow so fast - I could never go more than one month and half without treatment, against the “months apart between sessions” they so publicized on their site. Other than that, things were going well, at least for my upper lip. Three sessions ago, for reasons that I trully cannot comprehend, the technician expanded the treatment area to the area under my chin without telling me a word beforehand. She only claimed there was a stray hair. I never in my life had hair in that area - the only few hairs I’d plucked were straight from my chin, not my upper neck! As a result, hair started sprouting in that area - I am unsure if due to the shaving they do beforehand or from the laser settings. Maybe both. (I have reported this in the other Laser Forum). I have no idea what the laser settings were but I was told they were set on the highest for my skin type.

Of course I do not want to return there. They are people without standards, without any thought for other people’s well being and self esteem. This past month has been hell on my nerves, I tell you. With each passing day I see the hairs growing under my chin and I am always dreading the day I will look like a man on the streets. Of course, I am trying to find solutions.

I had never heard of electrolysis before and it seems there aren’t many practitioners here in Lisbon - no, the city has been invaded by the type of cheap laser treatment and IPL treatment clinics with technicians that do not know a thing of what they are doing and misinform people. Indeed, one of the lies I’ve been told by said technician was that bleaching causes the hair to grow thicker when I said I was going to start bleaching the area rather than do any further treatments. Not that bleaching will help forever, since some of the hairs that have already grown are long. And they also said that stress makes hair grow faster - it might be true but that’s such a low shot, to make it look like it’s the client’s fault and not their crappy service.

Anyways, I am trying not to touch them with anything - no shaving, no tweezing (even if I really feel like doing the later) so if I do get electrolysis, it will be easier to remove them.

That’s where I’d like some help. Does anyone out there know of electrologists (?) in Lisbon? From my extensive Google search I could only find two. One has 20 years of experience and a number of degrees - the electrology degree in question is from Brazil. Do they use different techniques there? Sorry if it is a dumb question but, as I said, I do not know the practice. The other person I found seems to have 28 years of experience and has 3 places in Lisbon. They have a nice form in the site that we can fill in with our info. I will do so once I am ready.

Well, for electrolysis I would be more than ready (maybe) but first I decided to procure medical advice. I went to an Endocrinologist (again, spelling? Sorry for mangling any grammar!) and he ordered some hormones tests just to be sure. He also ordered a pelvic exam to rule out PCOS but I highly doubt I have that condition as I have always been regular and I lost weight as opposed to gaining it. The only reason I would even consider a hormonal condition was because last year I developped this fine fuzzy blond hair (some have a hint of color) on my cheeks and I’m a highly stressful person. I was also on the pill (Diane 35 here, I think it’s called Dianette in the US) for 8 years so I expect that messed up some of my hormones. But I have been off it for 4 years already and never had any hirsutism symptoms aside from last year. So, I want to rule out any hormonal condition before I starte any further treatments.

So, after this extensive story, I have quite a few questions, if you would (still) bear with me:

• Would some kind of hormonal treatment (be it in the form of yet another pill or any other meds) help reduce hair? What I ask is, if I don’t touch any of the fuzzy hair that I already have on my cheeks or any of the hair of the area that was stimulated by the laser, could some of it get better under medication alone? (I understand this question is not related to electrolysis, I can post it someplace else if needed);

• I understand there are different types of electrolysis treatment. Is there any recommended one for my countenance and hair type? (I have tried to take pictures but it’s hard to target the area properly when taking a picture of your own face…)

• Is electrolysis really effective? I understand you must get this a lot but this is my last hope. The technician had the nerve to state I would have these hairs my whole life now…after they did the mess! I refuse to stay like this the rest of my life. So, I really need to know if there’s the chance of things worsening, of the hair growing thicker with electrolysis.

• How often should one go to sessions? After seeing some (quite frankly scary) pictures of healing after electrolysis, I realize the healing process is probably longer than that of laser treatment. How long should one have it done? Monthly? Especially in such an exposed area as the face.

• Speaking of those scary healing pics, do you get any permanent marks? I have no idea how I am going to plan out things. I don’t wanna go to work with my face looking like a pin cushion…

• And, finally, the really obvious question: does it hurt a lot? I know getting laser in this area really really hurt. Does the pain vary with the different techniques?

Ok, I think this is enough for now. Sorry for the long post. I have been dealing with this constantly since July, when I realized that laser was probably screwing up things for me. I will keep you posted about my blood test results and about my electrologist choice. I was thinking of going to a dermatologist first, so they can advice me further about my skin type and electrology. I am a bit scared of the idea of the treatment, quite frankly.

Thank you very much if you endured until the end of this post. And thank you for any help provided!

Note for any other Portuguese out there looking for info on electrolysis: The name translation is a false friend. I found the two electrologysts through the name “electrocoagulação” (com ou sem acordo ortográfico) and not through “electrólise”.

Hi there :slight_smile: I’m not a professional, so I am unable to answer some of your questions fully, but I thought I could maybe give you some advice based on my own personal experience.

• I understand there are different types of electrolysis treatment. Is there any recommended one for my countenance and hair type? (I have tried to take pictures but it’s hard to target the area properly when taking a picture of your own face…)

I’m sure the professionals on this site would be able to answer this question for you if they knew what type of hair you had and previous methods of removal etc. However, if you find a reputable electrologist in your area then they will decide which method of treatment is best for you.

• Is electrolysis really effective? I understand you must get this a lot but this is my last hope. The technician had the nerve to state I would have these hairs my whole life now…after they did the mess! I refuse to stay like this the rest of my life. So, I really need to know if there’s the chance of things worsening, of the hair growing thicker with electrolysis.

YES, YES, YES! Unless there is an underlying medical condition, such as PCOS, which might affect hair growth, then YES, electrolysis is effective. I’ve been having electrolysis on my face for around 9 months now. My electrologist has just been working on one side of my face as I have a LOT of hair to get rid of (full beard area), and there is such a significant difference when I look at the treated side compared with the untreated side. It is time consuming, however if you only have a handful of stray hairs here and there then electrolysis will definitely, definitely get rid of them for you.

• How often should one go to sessions? After seeing some (quite frankly scary) pictures of healing after electrolysis, I realize the healing process is probably longer than that of laser treatment. How long should one have it done? Monthly? Especially in such an exposed area as the face.

Again, this is something that your electrologist will discuss with you. You can go as often or as infrequently as you like, provided there is visible hair to remove. It is best to stick to any treatment plans your electrologist suggests. I currently go in once a week for an hour, sometimes two, but if you don’t have much hair then you may not need that long. It also depends on the rate of growth of your hair - if it grows in quickly then you may need to go in more often; if it grows in slowly then you can space your appointments out a bit more.

• Speaking of those scary healing pics, do you get any permanent marks? I have no idea how I am going to plan out things. I don’t wanna go to work with my face looking like a pin cushion…

Honestly, don’t worry too much about the healing process. It’s only natural to look at the ‘horror story’ pictures before getting electrolysis, or to look at all the possible after effects… but if you go to a good electrologist then they will do their best to minimise any potential after-effects. There shouldn’t be any permanent scarring if the electrolysis is performed correctly. I have had a wide range of after effects of my electrolysis - sometimes the area swells up slightly for a day or so after treatment, occasionally I can get a few tiny red dots, sometimes I get a few whitehead spots. On rare occasions I have had the area swell up quite drastically, and it has gone crusty (ew, sorry haha) and has seeped a bit. But this is because I had a LOT of very dense hair to get rid of, and my electrologist needed to pull my skin taught, resulting in the slight seeping. However, if you don’t have too much hair then this really shouldn’t be a worry for you. You’ll find that people don’t notice the marks as much as you do yourself. I’ve had treatments where I’ve come out with no indication that I’ve had a treatment, my skin is perfectly clear and normal. But if you have a skilled electrologist then, honestly, don’t worry too much about how your face will look afterwards. If your hair bothers you so much then you’ll probably decide that a bit of swelling/redness is preferable to the hair!! :stuck_out_tongue:

• And, finally, the really obvious question: does it hurt a lot? I know getting laser in this area really really hurt. Does the pain vary with the different techniques?

Having had both laser and electrolysis on my face, I personally find that electrolysis is a lot more painful than laser. I have had electrolysis sessions where I’ve cried with the pain, but I’ve also had sessions where it’s been fairly bearable. It can depend on the time of the month, the settings that your electrologist is using, and other various factors. It’s a very different sensation to laser, more of a burning sensation. Some people tolerate it well, others don’t. If you find it’s too painful though, then make sure you communicate this to your electrologist. I’ve heard people in other countries talk about using numbing creams on the area being treated etc. I’m in the UK, and I don’t think we use numbing creams here (unfortunately!) but it’s maybe something to look into if you find it too painful.

I hope this helps a bit :slight_smile: It’s purely based on my personal experience, so it may not apply to anyone else, but I thought I’d share my thoughts with you anyway :slight_smile: Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

(p.s, your laser technician really should have mentioned to you beforehand that laser stimulated hair growth was a possibility, as that may have swayed your decision on whether to have laser or not. At my consultation, I was made fully aware of this possibility, as they are obliged to inform you of all possible outcomes.)

Hi! Thanks for your reply!

I managed to take a few pics! They’re here on this post http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/108714/Candidate_for_electrolysis_on_.html#Post108714 in case you want to have a look.

It is good to hear it’s effective. It’s such a shame I had such a nefarious experience with laser. Now I am weary of any novel treatments! I am trying to rule out any hormonal condition. I will have blood tests done on October. However, it is very unlikely I suffer from PCOS as I lack most of the obvious symptoms.

Wow, one hour? Can you stand the pain that long? I found laser treatment painful and it was only like 2 minutes.

Ah ok, that puts me at ease about the healing. I was worried because of work, honestly. Though thankfully I don’t work with the public and my boss couldn’t care less what we look like. Still, it would be a bit noticeable if I’d go to work looking like I had a bad allergy or something (which, thankfully I do not have). I was planning on doing treatment on Saturdays so perhaps I will be presentable the following Mondays.

Thank you very much for your reassurance! Good luck to your sessions as well!

(Yes unfortunately there are a lot of shady professionals out there who only see profit and don’t care about what they do to others to achieve it. I will at least make certain to advice people never to set their feet on that place).