Experts am I doing it right? DIYer

Hey Jossie, great illustration! (I was searching for one.)

If you will look at the drawing again … just under the epidermis … you will see a few papillae! (Actually, theses should be shown within the so-called “rete peg of the epidermis”… but never mind, this is good enough).

The point is that papillae are all over the place and are the vessels that feed the epidermis (epidermis has no blood vessels). It is also the “surface” papillae that, when stretched out, becomes the dot-like telangiectasia.

The papilla move with the hair. Essentially the “papilla” is a “dweller” of the upper dermis, but gets “shoved down” with the advancing anagen hair … it “drifts” upward. I don’t think there are any nerves in the papilla. I could be wrong here. There is nothing wrong with “being wrong.” I am more than half the time!

Furthermore, anybody that gets “waxed” will attest to the experience of having the wax-job very painful at first (when all the telogen hairs were yanked out). Then, when there are only “early” anagen hairs that are not yet keratinized hard RIGHT where the nerves are located, well, the wax job is just about painless. If you wax, you need to “keep it up and on schedule.”

Looking at Jossie’s drawing again, notice how the artist has drawn the connecting vessels of the papilla at the hair bulb. See that the hair’s papilla is really “connected” to the upper blood supply like the other papillae just under the epidermis. I have never seen this drawn this way and it’s probably correct, maybe?

I’m not sure I agree with all the hairs coming out of one follicle (looks like four of them). Maybe the artist was only trying to show the various stages of hair growth? Indeed, hairs do grow in tiny “follicular units,” but they are individual follicles, not all coming out of one follicle. Drawings never show things the way they really are. You can’t “go” by drawings.

Just waiting for my client to get his butt out of bed … then zappage. (At 10 hours we are 90% finished with the back, photos to come soon).

Michael, I think the author of this drawing (who certainly I am not), wanted to show that the follicular unit consists of several hairs (each with its follicle), a single erector muscle, sebaceous gland (s), Sweat gland, etc. This is probably a drawing of the scalp.

You who have seen many of these, is it true that each group shares collagen and erector pili?

http://www.wesapiens.org/class/4456001/file/0/Layers+%26+elements+of+the+skin

If you do click on the word “Papillary” drop down box to your right in the enlarged image “Layers & Elements of the skin”, you can see the ridges formed by multiple papillae.
“There is nothing wrong with “being wrong.” I am more than half the time!”

The other half of the time is what you use to write on Hairtell, because I can not find a post of yours which is wrong.

Awesome Jossie. You are awesome, the internet is splendid and so is Hairtell!

Dr. Schuster did a great job of explaining the “rete pegs” (in his video.) These are like fingers that give the epidermis a greater surface area from with to take nutrients from the associated papillae. (This is much like the structure in the intestines that have ridges to create a larger surface area for the body to absorb nutrients.)

Whether this is evolution or “creation” you have to admit that all of this is miraculous. After all these years, I am still enthralled by our biology, and the skin is a true marvel that we often take for granted.

Jossie … about “wrong” … well, just keep searching! Its’ there!

The thing about our educational system is that we get rewarded for being right and punished for being wrong.

Because of this, most of us become fearful of trying new things and trying to explain things. We get hostile (fearful really) when a supposition is challenged. We don’t realize that being wrong does NOT mean being stupid! Schools have this all, well, “wrong!”

If you are HAPPY to be WRONG that is the start of REAL understanding. A successful person has experienced mostly failure. It’s the willingness to fail that gives you success in the long run. (Take a look at how many times it took Edison to get it “right” when he invented the light bulb!) Just never give up, especially on yourself!

[b]Here we go…

But just note one thing, we DIYer’s never go into the Pro forum, or the laser forum, and use it to poop out self-righteous thought, ideology, You Tube videos that have absolutely nothing to do with DIY electrolysis, or some thoughts on an old codger that never meant a hill of beans anyway. We show respect.

Now…

First of all Jossi, No, I don’t wonder. I pretty much saw all those diagrams back in medical school, here in the United States medical school system, which is probably the best in the world, and as an undergraduate. What I am talking about here is the DIYer’s experience. When you work on someone else, you can’t feel that anchoring yank on the nerves. When you DIY, you can. And not just the nerves, but the whole skin sensation of attachment.

Okay follizap says:

I wouldn’t particularly want to be associated with the Catholic Church myself. They are responsible for way too much misery in the world. Dissing/banning Contraception, encouraging families already in poverty to have loads of kids, countless cases of priests fiddling with kids… not an association I’d be making.

Okay, here we go…

That’s okay if you wouldn’t want to be associated with the Catholic Church. England made Catholicism illegal, mostly because they had kings that grew tired of killing their innocent wives, and just wanted divorces. Also, the kings and queens wanted absolute control of even the spirituality of all those they governed over. Now in English terms, this is okay and acceptable. The English monarchists basically have a history of trying to make themselves into god-like figures.

I understand, you probably find the Presbyterian / Anglican church more to your liking. You know, the church that the queen dictates who will lead, never mind how worthy or true he, or she, is to the faith. The Anglican church, the one that can’t get its act together, is totally fragmented, doesn’t know whether it should listen to its African segment, and can’t decide if women should be priests or not, and still follows what the British Bible Society considers a “complete” bible. Hmmm… Okay, that’s the church you see as legitimate. So lets get on to the Catholic Church follizap…

So you think the Catholic Church is responsible for “misery in the world” huh? Did you know?
-The Catholic Church is the single largest charity organization other than the United Nations itself? And has been around a whole, whole lot longer than the United Nations?

• Did you know while the English sit there and point towards the Catholic Church as “gay hating”, the truth is The Catholic Church has been in Africa taking care of hundreds of thousands of Africans infected with HIV, while the rest of the world pretty much turns a blind eye. And in those same countries where the Anglican Church has basically deserted Africans, that it’s the Catholics that go into the dangerous areas to supply agricultural and health knowledge, and education on neo-natal care?
  • Did you know that the Catholic Church goes into areas despite any beliefs on birth control, religion, or government rule. They serve, and with no reservations.

So by misery, you’re probably going to start, like most, yawn, pointing to the Inquisitions. Go ahead.

The Inquisitions were put in place by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella, not the Church. The Pope denounced the Inquisitions, but like 99.99% you probably do not know that either.
Further, the Inquisitions were seen as a politically necessary means to unify Spain, that was being torn by influx of Muslims and people following Jewish faiths. The country did it to survive, and although mostly ragged-on by outsiders, it pretty much did allow Spain to unify. Now, you may still point to the Inquisitions. So how many people really died in the Inquisitions, and mind you, this has nothing to do with the Church, How many? Well, many were told to go back to Israel or North Africa, or were told to at least be outwardly Christian, but the big numbers of slaughter never happened.

You want big numbers of slaughter? Lets look at what the British did to the Catholics. Killing priests, destroying Catholic Churches, killing and torturing Catholics. Ever heard of Guy Fawkes? Yeah, there’s a reason he stood his ground. The Gunpowder Rebellion. And so why did the British crown feel they had to charge and fine innocent Catholics into poverty anyway? Greed of the Crown?

Misery they caused? Where? Let’s look at what Hitler did to Catholics (slaughtered), let’s look at what Pol Pot did to Catholics in Cambodia (slaughtered 700,000), let’s look at what Mexico did to Catholics (slaughtered priests), Let’s look at what the American colonists did -made Catholicism illegal in 11 of the 13 colonies, why? Because Puritans did not want religious freedom, as is so mistakenly believed.

Hmm… So what side of the playing field is the misery coming from? Yours. Catholics have only fought back when they had no other choice. The Huguenots? Look what they did before the uprising, murdered Catholic priests and Catholics.

The Crusades? They freed Jeruselem. Sure there was mayhem, but when wasn’t there in the Dark Ages. Comparatively, they were pretty tame. But because they carried the cross, they are heald to the highest standards. Flattering really, shows you do expect more from us. But, these were just men. Not Priests, not the Pope.

In that same era lets look at the behavior of the Vandals, the Visigoths, the Franks, etc… Hmm… trading children for dogmeat? Taking slaves? burning villages, killing babies? This went on for hundreds of years, guess who finally stopped it? Guess some of us don’t consider the actions of the central European tribes as causing misery? A whole, whole, whole lot more than the Crusades. Not even comparable. At all.

See, what happens is people act viciously towards innocents, then, because they can’t see or accept that they are a true source of evil, they blame their dead victims. It’s really quite sickening.

Hmm… Contraception… Well, see, what’s wrong with African, Filipino, or Mexican babies?? I don’t know? Now tell me please? Why would a white, Anglo-Saxon, protestant not want more brown skinned Catholics to be born? Why? So having babies is everyone’s personal choice.

Instead of saying, why preach against it, why don’t you ask, why even mention it to anybody else? Why force people to pay for pills that do nothing for their health? Birth control has been cleverly labeled as a “Women’s health issue”, It’s not a “health issue. Those pills cause clotting cancer, strokes. Hmm… what’s so healthy about that? And why should I pay for it? If someone wants to use sex as recreation, let them buy the pills themselves, it’s their pastime activity. I suppose if they wanted to take up bicycling I should be obliged to by them a free bicycle as well. Obama forced that on the American public, it did not go through Congress my friend.

See, In countries where birth control flows freely, Caucasian populations are falling; Germany, Sweden, Britain, America. They have chosen that destiny for themselves, by making something a “sport” instead of a means to bring life into the world. Your choice, but because of your choice, there will be more brown skinned Catholic babies. Sorry, that’s just the way it is! Simply because they have Faith, don’t get mad at them! Some people just want to live naturally, like we were created. It’s great! It’s healthy! We love it! -Oh, I’m sorry, some are full of chemicals, they can’t have kids now, and it seems the best ones too! Sorry, their choice.

Priests fiddling with kids. Well, that happens everywhere my friend, everywhere. It is much more prevalent in Schoolteacher-student associations, babysitting, relatives, Little League, ASYO soccer, etc. than in the Catholic Church, Way more. Read Michael Coren, he addresses this squarely. The anti-Catholic media have a field day with each and every incident. They wave it like a huge flag, and they’ll even bring it back onto the front page for any reason years later, the same incident. See, I look at facts, and facts clearly point out it is actually far more prevalent amongst Protestants and the secular. Sorry, back it up with facts, you’ll see.

It’s really sickening that the Catholic Faith is so misguidedly attacked on a hair removal forum, it really is. A true and Faithful Catholic will not stand idle when this is done. No, we will not only fight back, but usually to the death. We have so for, hmmm, about 2,000 years. It’s no big deal, really isn’t.

I have to formally and publically complain about your behavior.
[/b]

Is there a reset button around here somewhere?

The men on this board are the funniest people in the world. I love you, James!

Mantaray,

You are quite knowledgable and you have made some great points about the good that the Catholic Church has done for the poor, globally. Good for you. That takes courage.

It is probably not a good idea to attack any religion and we should all try to stick to the subject of hair removal, in my humble opinion.

Mantaray, much of what you said pertaining to history reminded me of mini-series called ‘The Tudors’ that I saw on NetFlex. Absolutely grotesque and why did I watch it! ‘Borgia’ was even worse. There is one scene in ‘Borgia’ that I will never forget that happened to two men that Pope Alexander condemned to death. I seriously ponder why I watched this stuff. Acid reflux time. I’ve always been interested in history and it is stingingly true that history does repeat itself.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath:

Here we go :wink:

I don’t see respect I’d best describe it as contempt or conceit! Old codgers have the benefit of something you can’t learn in any University, that being Wisdom and Experience.
“We DIYers” Don’t be too comfortable in assuming that none of the other DIYers don’t visit the pro forum or the laser forum. I’d think Any DIYer with common sense would visit the pro forum in search of information that relates specifically to removing hair with electrolysis, if that’s what they are doing. I also think it’s a fairly safe thing to assume that a fair % of the pros started out as DIYers themselves or they will have certainly practiced on themselves…

At medical school you would obviously have seen such diagrams but having seen them I very much doubt you would have been considering them for the last thirty years or so as some pros on here have undoubtedly been doing. If you want to know about electrolysis you consult an electrologist. If you’re very lucky you will come across one who knows what they are talking about. Don’t hold your breath on that one though.
When you’re ill you go to the doctors. Be careful though because as with contraception some of the side effects from the meds that they may prescribe won’t be very nice. We accept them though because the benefits outweigh the risks, the positives outweigh the negatives, it’s not “rocket science”
Credential and letters after a persons name do not always mean that you are going to get the best advice but it’s a sensible place to start. Ie Some doctors are encouraging women with hirsuitism towards laser when it mightn’t be the best idea….

What you can see does not always tally with what you think to be the case. Over and over I see hairs that look like they are anchored at the root. The skin will lift and look to all intents and purposes like it’s lifting from the level of the subcutis. Sometimes it even looks like you can see a direction of pull in spite of lifting the hair in a different direction. Keep pulling if that’s your thing and out pops the hair. Strange thing is it won’t have a root. All you will see is what has been best described as a “tiny grain of salt” I’m comfortable in saying that in every case these hairs pop out of the skin from very close to it’s surface. By rights these hairs should fall away without resistance and obviously eventually they do but until they are ready “they ain’t going anywhere easily” I’ve experienced this countless times both working on myself and on other people and I’m only just starting to get to grips with it. Thanks Josefa!!!

Thanks for the history lesson Mantary but in life we’re only ever as good as the last thing we did. This is regardless of any supposed good deeds that may have been done by ourselves or in the name of our club, association or religion going back to time immemorial. I wasn’t there and neither were you regardless of your ability to recall events in history like you watched them yourself. Try not to put too much faith in events that you’ve only ever read about it. We humans aren’t the most reliable witnesses…

Kings killing their wives :slight_smile: I’ve felt like killing my own wife on occasion and I’ve no doubt she would have preferred me under the patio once or twice during our time together. Joking aside though and not condoning anyone killing anyone else. If it wasn’t for the church at the time not allowing for the fact that over time some relationships will break down :frowning: those queens may well have survived execution and gone on to live happy and fulfilling lives. It’s no surprise though that the thinking from the church was just a little bit unrealistic. How could someone who supposedly led a life of celibacy possibly have Any idea about the issues that can exist within a relationship. In some ways you could say it was the catholic churches standpoint that resulted in the beheadings in the first place. A desperate act to counter a desperate situation, ask my wife.
Power often corrupts be you a monarch, a politician or anyone else of supposed importance.
It gets me to thinking about the kings Actual religious belief at that time. If he Really believed in god would he have dissed him in such a massive way by creating another branch in opposition to gods supposed chosen means of worshipping him, that being catholicism? Maybe he was comfortable in thinking that “There is no god but you know what…Religion is a good tool for controlling my subjects so I will allow it, but only as it suits me…”

My standpoint is My standpoint it has nothing to do with my place of birth. I don’t particularly have a preference towards any branch of Christian faith or religion. If I Really Had to choose I think I’d pick Buddhism, they seem like an inoffensive bunch. I really don’t feel the need for religion in my life it’s already way too complicated for my liking.

It wasn’t me that bought religion into hairtell I believe you mentioned it first and touted it like some kind of credential. I don’t see that you have anything to formally and publicly complain about and I will not accept that my “behavior” is personally offensive to you. Get over yourself.
Why is it that pointing out an issue relating to somebody’s religious position is such a big deal and such a huge taboo. In this day and age nothing should be beyond compare or above criticism. We should question everything….
We should particularly investigate when anyone hides behind their holier than thou white collar and abuses that position to poison and pollute children with their uncontrolled lust. I personally think ANYONE!!! caught red handed messing with a child should be castrated, I don’t care which religion or occupation they are in. I certainly wouldn’t make comparisons that could be misconstrued “that happens everywhere my friend, everywhere” I don’t hear you condemning pedophilia/child abuse??? What are you saying Exactly! That because our kids are being assaulted from every quarter that it’s not that bad when someone with very close ties to god does it as well???

Will sin like that be pardoned at confession??? If it is why not just do it, you’ll still make it to heaven. The right to heaven is one of the things that terrifies people to feel the need for religion in the first place…. I’m not knocking anyone’s religious beliefs per se. I’m not putting myself or anyone else on a pedestal and saying that my way or your way is the right way. I will always listen to someone else’s standpoint even if a little skeptically.

“Hmm… Contraception… Well, see, what’s wrong with African, Filipino or Mexican babies?? I don’t know? Now tell me please? Why would a white, Anglo-Saxon, protestant not want more brown skinned catholics to be born? Why? So having babies is everyone’s personal choice” Do you really believe this?

Am I missing something here, are you suggesting protestants might be racists or that providing contraception might be racially motivated?

Personal choice: If I was living in… a third world country with not much in the way of education or prospects. If every day was a struggle to find food, clean water or health care when needed I’m not sure my actual “choice” would be to share that existence with a child that I would undoubtedly Love. I wouldn’t wish that kind of misery on someone I didn’t like let alone someone that I cared about.
Contraception gives people choice, it also gives them chance.
When contraception is denied because of someone’s interpretation of what they think god supposedly wants… There’s something Very wrong with that and I don’t need religion of any brand behind me to make that statement.
There’s nothing wrong with African, Filipino, Mexican or anybody else having babies and so you know there’s no such thing as a catholic, protestant, muslim, jewish or atheist baby anyway. All babies are born with absolutely no idea about religion, god or anything else. They often end up indoctrinated into whatever religion their parents follow but until such times as they can make an informed choice they are just kids with religious parents. Thank god my own parents didn’t force religion upon me or terrify me with the prospect of burning in hell if I didn’t worship god. Over time I have come to my own conclusions and I haven’t needed a university education to do this.

To present day and my own life: I have two boys who I love without reserve. I remember the joy when they were born, I cried like a baby. I also shed a tear not a week away in conversation with a close friend of mine because I worry about the future and what it may hold for them…. Without rose tinted glasses, which I don’t possess and Absolutely do not want. Without the promise of heaven as a fall back I look to the future with trepidation. Is it just me or does no-one else see the flaw in the population boom as it is…It’s a horrible thing to say but “oh for hindsight” I’ve said this very thing to my oldest son and I’ve explained to him exactly my thinking.

I’ve spent enough of my day (several hours) penning this drivel. It’s just my opinion that’s all it is, it’s just me. Try not to read too much into it and please don’t take offence. Andrea I’m not the enemy here, we share some common ground. We are all adults and censoring this thread is not necessary. You can give me a slap on the wrist if you like and if I do have a future on hairtell I’ll try to be a little more on topic.
The older I get the more places I seem to be getting banned from :slight_smile:

Nice picture James :slight_smile: the train disappearing down a giant toilet bowl would have added to your point

Good posts all … my favorite, however, is from James. Having derailed the train a few times myself … and lived to tell about it … yep, it’s best to simply close this chapter PRONTO!

If the hair slides out after a couple beeps with thermolysis is it still possible for me to be doing it wrong and get a higher percentage of regrowth compared to a professional?

This is an answer I just wrote for a similar question:

There are many reasons why undertreatment happens. The important thing is learning to recognize it.

For example in body work on a area that hasn’t been shaved in several months, if there is little skin reaction in the treated area and you see many hairs come out the following four weeks after treatment, that feel shaved, then you were undertreated.

Of course you can even have undertreatment coupled with a strong skin reaction but the result is the same. Most of the “new” hair feels shaved.

Ideally, nearly all the hair growing in the following 6 weeks after a treatment should be very light colored and feel soft. (Oh, and not from the treated follicle.)