Epil-Pro - A better alternative to Electrolysis in England

Hi

I thought you might be interested in my recent experiences with a new hair removal system - Epil-Pro - a safer, faster and less painful alternative to permanent hair removal than Electrolysis invented and manufactured in England.

I’m TS and started hair removal early 2002 year by buying 6 sessions of IPL (Intense Pulse Light) treatment – AcuLight - This was supposed to be
the best of the Laser treatments – However at over $600 for 6 sessions of 15 minutes it was not cheap – though the interval between each session was on average 2 months – which made it appear cheaper than electrolysis. Except that it did nothing for me – I have a lot of grey beard but even the dark beard seemed to be still coming in
abundance.

So I switched last July to Electrolysis, having one hour of treatment every week. My therapist is excellent – the level of pain was tolerable but the hair kept coming back on my top lip and as it
returned it became more and more painful to remove – the hair is getting finer and the follicles shallower which is part of the
cause. Over the last month I had become increasingly frustrated with the lack of progress and that has made my tolerance of the pain less
easy.

I called the makers of Epil-Pro and asked for a local salon. Two weeks ago I went for a free trial where she cleared my entire top lip in 10 minutes – what is more I did not need to shave it again and still have not done so. (For the past month I had been avoiding any electrolysis on my top lip because I could not stand the pain).

My next appointment was booked for today, which has been strangely emotional. I started the day with a 1 hour electrolysis session (I decided to run a direct comparison between Epil-Pro and
Electrolysis), cancelled a singing lesson because I could not allow myself to go with four days beard growth. Did manage to have a nail
appointment despite the beard (they are a beauty salon so they understand) - then finally I had a one and a quarter hour Epil-Pro session.

Because of the pain, I have been having electrolysis treatment just on my chin and mostly on one side which has resulted over the last month in half my chin being relatively clear of hair - The re-growth on my chin is a lot slower and more sporadic than my upper lip, and seemingly more successful - though she had cleared most of the chin at some time, and most had grown back. Today I asked her to concentrate on clearing as much as possible of my right chin so that I have a test area for comparison. At the end of one hour of electrolysis I had had enough, but there is a clear test area. about an 3 cm in diameter.

To prepare for today I have not shaved my upper lip since the first Epil-Pro session 12 days ago. There had been quite a lot of regrowth - however it was so fine and fair that I was able to not
shave for two weeks - the first time I have ever been able to do that and not grow a moustache. Even without makeup - the growth was very
difficult to see. I am reluctant to take that as unbiased evidence for Epil-Pro because I have had so much electrolysis on that area in the past year - That said this was still the first time I have been able to not shave.

Not shaving the rest of my face for the past five days was however far more of a challenge. I hated it. I had been hiding myself from people all morning - covering up my face whenever I had to make a short walk to a salon. I realised today that, for me, getting rid of facial hair is more important than GRS. It is such a constant reminder of my past and forces me to into a very masculine action every day and sometimes twice. It also causes me to wear foundation in the sweltering heat. To have no facial hair will be such a relief.

So finally the Epil-Pro Session. One and a Quarter Hours was a lot - almost more than I could take. Some of the treatment was damn
painful - but not as painful as electrolysis. What made it seem worse was the speed at which the therapist Jackie plucked the hair.

Epil Pro works by sending a very high frequency sound wave down into the hair follicle destroying the hair follicle in a similar way to electrolysis - except that it is instantaneous, so the hairs can be plucked almost continuously.

Jackie set to and started plucking twenty or more hairs before pausing… There is an attack and decay to the pain. When you pluck there is a sudden pain that quickly fades, especially if you wipe the area with cotton wool after wards. However if the hairs are being plucked quickly, the attack (onset of pain) of the second hair hits before the previous one has decayed (faded) increasing the overall pain effect. If the third comes straight in again - the effect is that you cease to feel the decay and just feel the attack - and it starts multiplying - hope you can FEEL what I am saying here.

Basically a long run of plucking causes a steady increase in pain until it becomes unbearable - especially along the jaw bone that just seems to be more sensitive - well on me anyway. The solution if this happens to you is to get the therapist to just pluck five or ten at a time then pause and wipe. That makes it all more bearable. I don’t want anyone to be under the misapprehension that this is a painless process which it is sometimes advertised as. It may be if you are a women with a few fine hairs - the hairs at the to hair line near my ear were finer and much less painful. The heavy regularly shaved
hairs especially under my chin were more painful. Aspirin before I go next time.

But I am ecstatic because the results were worth all the pain - Jackie has cleared the regrowth on my top lip leaving it completely clear - and then she cleared all my chin that had not been cleared by electrolysis - then she cleared both my cheeks right up to the hair line at the top of my ear - I have NO hair left on the front of my face – That is 20 or thirty times the amount cleared in an electrolysis session of slightly less time. There is still a load of hair under my chin and on my neck - but a week Friday that is all going.

In three sessions totalling less than THREE HOURS - I will have cleared my entire face of hair and will probably not need to shave
again - I will need to have the regrowth cleared every couple of weeks to start with then every month and then less frequently - That is my expectation now based upon the last two weeks.

OK Very Early Days - and I am not holding my breath - but I am enjoying the feeling of not having any hair on my face - and for the first time this afternoon - I was able to comfortably go shopping with no foundation on at all - WOW!!!

I will keep you informed of my progress - in the meantime if you are interested in trying Epil-Pro. Please call Sujata Jolly (the inventor of the equipment) on 01628 674644 - and ask her for the details of your nearest Salon - (You might mention that Rikki said to call)

The Price of Epil-Pro is more than Electrolysis – about twice the price from what I can tell but then prices of electrolysis can vary
from $20 an hour to $60 – The recommended price for a one hour session of Epil-Pro is $60.

Please note that I have absolutely NO financial or business interest in Epil-Pro or any salons using it – I just wanted to share my experience because I suspect there are a lot of girls out there with similar frustrations to me and this looks as if it could be the answer - Not sure if its able to be inported into the US - but I’m sure a call will tell you.

this is the Professional Electrolysis section

Does Epil-pro use a needle or probe? or is the high frequency sent “through” the hair, not to the root of it? if so, I am afraid it won’t be permanent… but please clarify.
Tiny, can you send me the link to download your video, and what exactly is it about? the use of the one touch to remove yourself hairs? Please PM :smile:

I hate to be the one to tell you but I think you are being ripped off. If you are feeling the plucking then there is nothing being done to the root of the hair. Which means that she is just giving you a very expensive plucking treatment. The reason the hair is not growing back that fast is because she has plucked it at the root and it has to regrow a hair in that follicle now. And if you were having electrolysis done the hairs are already growing in fewer and farther between so that’s why you haven’t seen any regrowth in that area. The worst part of all this is that electroligists tell you not to pluck between treatments for a reason…because it stimulates the roots in that area and the hair will grow back stronger next time. But hey I have been known to be wrong before so maybe this will work for you. Who knows… :frowning: But from everything I have learned in my research and talking to my electroligists this should not work…if anything it will eventually undo what you have done with electrolysis.

1 Like

I looked carefully through the entire list of forums on this section but there was no forum appropriate for new hair removal treatments - So I went for this as thie nearest - If you have a suggestion for where I should have poted this - I’ll be happy to oblige.

The High frequency sound wave is sent through the hair - but this is the claim by the manufacturers - “The Sound Energy travels precisely down the hair shaft striking and disintegrating the papillary cells”.

I am interested in the comments that if you feel the hair being plucked, the electrolysis has not been successful - Perhaps that is what has been happening with my treatment - I have become very disillusioned with electrolysis because despite clearing the hair on my top lip over and over again - it still grows back although finer and more patchy - and later treatments have become more and more painful.

With Epil Pro - the hairs that are removed for the first time do feel a little painful - the regrowth I could hardly feel being removed - I shall be interested to see what happens over the next 10 days before my next treatment.

Hi Rikki. Epilpro is a fraud. It is a temporary hair removal method. All money you spend in it is lost. It is a expensive method of plucking.
You have to find a good electrologist. In UK there is a electrologists association. I think BAE is her name. Perhaps they can help you to find a good electrologist near from you. Gook luck.

Francisca Rodriguez Ubeda
RN and electrologist
Spain

1 Like

“I am interested in the comments that if you feel the hair being plucked, the electrolysis has not been successful - Perhaps that is what has been happening with my treatment - I have become very disillusioned with electrolysis because despite clearing the hair on my top lip over and over again - it still grows back although finer and more patchy - and later treatments have become more and more painful.”

If you feel the hair being plucked during electrolysis yes that could be the case. But I was mostly talking about the lady that is doing the epilpro. If you feel the plucking then that’s what is happening…nothing but plucking. If you feel the plucking during your electrolysis appointment then you should let her know or find a new electrologist because your not getting what you’re paying for. I did a search the other day on electrolysis and how long it takes to be permanent, and came up with alot of info on TS hair removal for the face, it did say that it takes longer than normal to clear that area with electrolysis. Hang in there and stop going to the epilpro…your just wasting your money.

1 Like

Would you continue to date a person you caught in two lies the very first night you went out with them? I figure the answer is no. Think this over.
In your post you said:
</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>The High frequency sound wave is sent through the hair - but this is the claim by the manufacturers - “The Sound Energy travels precisely down the hair shaft striking and disintegrating the papillary cells”. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>There is no way to “Precisely Focus Sound Energy Down A Hair Shaft Disintegrating The Papillary Cells Without Damaging The Cells Around The Follicle WITHOUT The Insertion Of A Probe To Guide That ENERGY”

This is total quackery! If this actually worked, you would have the same problem laser has, that being, how do you focus the energy on the area you WANT destroyed WITHOUT damaging the area you DON’T want destroyed.
</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>I don’t want anyone to be under the misapprehension that this is a painless process which it is sometimes advertised as. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>No one can claim that REAL hair removal is perfectly painless. Some of my clients even wake up sometimes during their treatment because a particular hair actually startles them out of a deep sleep! I think the best one can hope for in hair removal is consistantly tolerable, or mild discomfort.

If having a bare face during your treatment is the end all be all for you, in your case, you might be better off getting your face waxed and having a good electrologist work on what hair you present in between the 4 to 6 weeks that your waxing lasts. This is not the optimal way to go, but it may be the best available to you that will get you your daily short term goal, while allowing you to work steadily on your long range goal of permanent hair removal.

The optimum would be if you could concentrate on getting the entire face cleared by electrolysis in a 30 day time period, and then just keep it maintained by electrolysis from there. As you know, to do that, you would need more than one hour per week during that month. It would also help if your practitioner were working with a machine that would make long sessions possible, and even better if the practitioner attained a speed that made full facial clearance in one month a possibility instead of a distant dream.

I have not seen the work of anyone in your area, so I can not speak to how likely it is that you can find what you need. I am however optimistic that you can find the good stuff, if you know what to look for.

Good Luck

PS, although my best permanent hair removal time to date was about 1,200 hairs per hour, I know that I could simply pluck 3,600 hair per hour if I did not have to “Waste Time” actually treating those hairs first.

Hi. I’ve been in the field of electrolysis for 20 years. After finishing college however I jumped to buy the epil pro machine. Looking back I have no idea why I did such a thing. It was a bit reckless of me to spend over £4000 on a scam which it was. There is no easy way to get rid of hairs permanently. Let me just say that after using the epil pro machine for 6 months I realised that it was not working AT ALL! I just couldn’t bear to charge my clients and to cheat them just as I didn’t enjoy being cheated so I got rid of the machine and lost a lot of money over it. I immediately went on to electrolysis and I see AMAZING results. I’m not saying it is easy but I now have the apilus excel from dectro Canada through HOF beauty and it definitely helps. There is no simple way out. I just don’t understand how the owner of epil pro has not been sued yet for conning a lot of people out there. How does she manage to get away with this huge fraud. Beats me. Anyway hope this helps somebody not to get hurt as I was.

What you have reported is nothing new. The hair removal industry has a long history of fraudulent devices purported to remove hair permanently.