Embarassing problem...

Hi guys, although this is my first post on the forum, I’ve been reading on here quite a bit over the past month or so so I’m not completely new.
Anyway, I have a bit of an embarassing problem, I seem to have a lot of hair on the shaft of my penis which has seemed to get worse over the past year. I’m only 18, so I’m presuming that it will continue to get worse for a while (hopefully not!). Now, I’ve tried quite a lot of home methods of hair removal which don’t seem to work, with shaving being the best option which I’m currently doing fairly often (I own an electric trimmer which clears the area nicely, however can prove to be a bit itchy sometimes). I’ve tried plucking, which I have no problem doing, and even though there are a lot of hairs, it’s quite ideal since it doesn’t leave any stubble. I can’t do this however since I’m always left with ingrown hairs. It’s really not worth it. I’ve tried very light hair removal creams, and I generally don’t like doing that since I don’t want any chemical burns down there!

Anyway, after a LOT of research online, I’ve found out that someone with the same problem has had some luck with the Silk’n IPL device. Now, I know that the Silk’n doesn’t provide permanent hair removal, and isn’t meant to be used in that area due to sensitivity, however if I can find a method of hair removal which will reduce the hair growth in the area, and reduce the speed of the growth in the area, I’m willing to give it a shot. Since I wont be removing hair from my scrotum, and purely the shaft, I can’t see it causing any damage to the area, especially if I make sure I don’t use the device on too high a setting.
Here’s the main problem I’m facing however… As I’ve said, whenever I’ve plucked in the past, I’ve been left with pretty bad ingrown hairs. I understand that hair grows in cycles, and once the Silk’n removes particular hairs, more will grow back soon enough. I’m wondering, if I was to use a device like this in the area i want to, when hair begins to grow back through again, will it come back ingrown? Were ingrown hairs only caused in the past due to plucking?

I know having professional electrolysis/professional laser hair removal would be a much better option for me due to the area of my problem, however I don’t live in the states so you guys wont be able to reccommend anywhere that I can get it done, and i’ve had trouble finding places that will do it myself, I’ve emailed quite a few places. I also don’t want to run the risk of going to a poor electrologist and end up having scars on my penis!
Also, since I’m only 18, I dont have that much cash! When I get paid at the end of the month, I’ll be able to afford the Silk’n so need to know whether it’s worth me getting one. As I’ve said, I’m not expecting permanent removal, I will be more than happy even if it’s just temporary reduction. I’m going to university in September, and I want to know that at somepoint in the near future I’ll be able to calm this problem down, since it’s really making me deperessed to be honest.
And please don’t say just ignore it, it’s normal, cause let’s face it, it’s not. Sure, maybe a lot of guys do have some hair down there, but I have quite a lot and I can’t stand it.
If getting the Silk’n is really not a good option at all, I’m just gonna have to save up for professional hair removal and find somewhere that can do it.

Thanks so much for your help!

• Charlie

Professional removal is your best bet, sorry if that’s not the advice you want. :stuck_out_tongue: The money you spend on that Silk’n joke could get you a number of clearances with electrolysis (depending on how much hair you have, you could get anywhere from 40%-100% permanent removal with that money!!)

The number of ingrowns you get with Silk’n will PROBABLY be comparable to the number you get from high quality waxing and/or leaving the hair natural. In other words, there will be no broken hairs under the skin, so that means not many ingrowns. The only ingrowns you will get will be from baby hairs that curl as they develop and this will probably be similar to the number of ingrowns you’d get anyway.

Everyone’s different though.

Thanks for the reply.

I would be more than happy to go for professional hair removal providing that I can find somewhere willing to treat the area, and somewhere that I know will do the job well. I’ve heard stories of electrolysis leaving scarring and laser hair removal leaving discolouring & numbness. This puts me off a little bit, combined with the fact that a stranger will be working on my penis…
But hey, if someone can maybe reccommend somewhere, or point me in the right direction on what to do, I’d be very grateful!

I guess I don’t mind spending more than the silk’n would cost me. As i’ve said, to be honest, I just want something that will reduce the amount of hair just for a few years until after uni, I don’t really care if it’s expensive to be honest (the Silk’n). But if i find a safe option for professional removal, I’ll do so.

I have done lots of work like what you need to have performed, and it comes out well. The problem you have is that it is hard to find someone who comes highly recommended for this type of work, due to the lack of people speaking up about having had this type of work. Furthermore, the practitioner is unlikely to be able to share any pictures of past work in this area.

The best I can tell you is that it IS possible to do good work here. Unfortunately, one can not just throw a dart into the phone book and expect to find it that way.

Where do you live again Charlie? Sorry if you’ve already mentioned it, but if you put your location in your profile, it’s easier for people to give you recommendations.

London - i’ll add it to my profile now. Since I’m happy with temporary hair reduction, I think i will invest in a Silk’n or a boots smooth skin machine - I just want something that will leave me a little less hair for university!
My main concern now is whether they will remove anything at all… i have the right skin type and hair colour luckily - if it doesn’t work for me at all, i can always just sell it on ebay and get some of the money back.

If anyone can provide any recommendations for professional hair removal or give me any advice on the silk’n/boots smooth skin it would be very much appreciated!