Electrolysis with Vaniqa

I noticed increased dark coarse hair growth on my chin and cheeks around a year and a half ago. I had my hormones tested but they found nothing unusual. Since then I’ve been on a waiting list to see a dermatologist and been having electrolysis.

My doctor said I could try using Vaniqa, which I did for around 6 months. The hairs definitely did decrease but I was unsure if this was as a result of the Vaniqa or electrolysis being effective (I’ve read that Vaniqa only works in a certain percentage of cases), so I decided to stop the cream and see what happened. As you can probably guess, the hair has grown back just as heavy (or even more - tho I didn’t take any photos and my memory of how things used to be is a bit fuzzy). I’ve started using the cream again and am waiting for it to take effect. In the mean time I’m having electrolysis twice a week for around 15mins to clear my chin hairs and the few I have on my cheeks.

My question is: Is it better to reduce the hair growth with the cream thereby extending the length of time one would need to have electrolysis (because the hairs grow back more slowly), or is is better to let the hair grow out at the normal rate and zap them all quicker?

I’ve been having electrolysis for a year and the growth seems to be no less than when I started (I reckon I might be becoming hairier and that’s why it seems to be getting more rather than less). I also find the cream gives me spots which I don’t like.

Any advice for me???

If you have an electrologist who is able to clear all of your treatment area out in a short amount of time, or at least once a month, you don’t need the Vaniqua. If you can’t get to full clearance, and are just decreasing the number of hairs slowly, then you would find some benefit to using that drug.

Thanks James!

You are welcome.

Just a little addition to the Vaniqua talks, I got this from another forum:

Barbara Kieffer Greathouse of Topeka Kansas writes:

Some individuals have an enzyme in their skin that is like a magnet to their normal circulating hormones. These individuals will grow hair in these areas. The areas seem to follow the pattern of the Ferriman and Gallwey hirsutism rating scale. The individuals with this enzyme will have coarsening of hair with the irritation of waxing. Individuals without this enzyme will see less hair with waxing. The people with this enzyme are the people who will see a product like Vaniqa work - IF they use it consistently, however, they can spend the same money on electrology treatments and REALLY get rid of the hair.

It would also seem that other people with excess hair growth have it for other reasons - not necessarily related to the enzyme. So again, we are faced with mysterious reasons for hair growth.

Is this enzyme seen in men too? I mean, are there cases where for example male back hair has coarsened due to waxing?
I have been thinking about start waxing my back. I have had 7 IPL-treatments on my back and the hair has become very thinn and fine. Could waxing make it coarse again?

yes, that would be both males and females