Electrolysis Unsuccessfully Killed Hairs and Dormancy

How much longer would it take for the weakened hair to come back? How slow would the growth be?

It depend on the hair type/size. “Weakened hair” is not a scientific term and therefore not a valid point of reference in this discussion. Deep, coarse hair can return in 6-8 weeks. Vellus (peach fuzz) hair can take up to 12 weeks. Medium depth hair falls somewhere in between.

So any hairs that were unsuccessfully killed will come back in 12 weeks or before? If hairs do not come back after that, are they gone for good? Can they come back in a few months or even weeks? Sorry if I seem bothersome or annoying.

If the hair does not return within the previously stated time-frame, it is gone for good. Forever. Once a hair follicle has been properly destroyed by electrolysis it cannot regenerate. While the original hair growth is gone forever, this does not guarantee that the individual will be hair-free for the rest of their life. Hormonal changes, aging, certain medications and medical conditions that occur in the future have the potential to stimulate some new hair growth in male-pattern areas of the face. In most cases, this does not happen.

So in other words, you can tell which has survived/ has been unsuccessfully killed and which has been permanently killed/ are gone for good by seeing which hairs are present and alive and which are not alive including tombstones, from the treated follicles after a certain period of time. If you see nothing in those follicles, the hairs are truly gone and the follicles have been permanently killed. Is this all correct?

You cannot see in follicles nor track them individually. What you can see is a reduction in the amount of hair over the coarse of the treatment program. Photography and physical measurements of hair density can be a helpful tool to measure progress. Anything else is an exercise in futility.

Yes you are correct. If the stem cells in the follicle have not been completely destroyed, no matter which form of hair removal, the hair will regenerate.There were clinical trials done in Korea where follicles were extracted, lower third removed, then transplanted in the leg and some hairs regrew.
My solution for you is to find a pure galvanic operator, then you never have to worry about regrowth. I am aware that most people on this forum will be blend or thermolysis operators and I totally respect their choices, however my choice is different and backed by 30 years of experience on galvanic.
In the end, go with what feels right for you.

Do you know what the timeframe is until you are certain the hairs are permanently destroyed/ truly gone?

I can only speak for Galvanic, (never had the same success with Thermolysis)12 - 18 months is where the last treatment will be, and it could be 3-4 months since they were last in, if the client has followed the Permanence plan. I saw a client this week, completely stripped her face 15 years ago and not a hair on her face. did her underarms also and 1 hair. She checks in every 3 or 4 years just to be sure. Once you destroy the stem cells in the bulge, there is no chance of a hair ever growing back. destroy the root only and yes, it can grow back according to the clinical trials in Korea.

The average time frame to permanently removing the hairs from the treated area is 12-18 months.
This is true for all 3 modalities and they are equally effective. However the TTT(Total Treatment Time) is different for different modality.
Microflash is the Shortest TTT and Galvanic is the longest TTT, therefore the galvanic will be the most expensive modality to use to achieve the same final results.

3 Likes

Sorry, you mean she (your client) checks in three to four years for new hair growth from untreated or untouched hair follicles?

1 Like

The client doesn’t do anything. Some will develop sporadic hair growth in the future, most do not. The ones that do, have the following options: do nothing, use temporary methods at home, or start electrolysis. It’s that simple.

1 Like

Yeah I mean her client comes in every three to four years to see if there is any NEW growth from different hair follicles / dormant hair follicles “awakening” and to treat them if there is. What I meant was sometimes NEW hair growth happens after the successful completion of the treatment maybe due to hormones, certain medications or disorders.

1 Like

Well, I’m a bit confused. There is another opinion about that: https://hairtell.com/forum/t/laser-rebound-years-later-to-geeeza-dpp-and/38383
Josefa pointed out one case in which hair regrowth took place more then a year later! It was laser, but damage is damage…

Marat, that is probably hairs that were “stunned” into dormancy and can come back years later. I have heard lasers can do that. I was wondering if Electrolysis can also do that, but it appears not. Also lasers can induce or stimulate new hair growth.

Savannah E. Kong.

1 Like

Come to think of it, electrolysis is much stronger than laser, so its impact has to be stronger. And if after powerful electrolysis “weakened but alive” hairs return in several weeks, how is it possible for laser to send hairs into dormancy for several years?
It seems that electrolysis doesn’t leave any dormancy; it kills all hair. Or not?

Who can say how long “dormancy period” (whatever reason) can take? Especially on males? Maybe testosterone decreases that period? FTM guys on HRT grow beard and body hair in 1.5-2 years (more or less, to my knowledge).

Lasers REDUCES Hair, NOT destroys hair at least not all of it, unlike Electrolysis. They can also stimulate new hair growth, unlike Electrolysis.

It’s so confusing how they consider laser to”permanently reduce” hair. From my experience if prevented any hair growth for happening for roughly two years from last laser appointment (total of 5 laser appointments) what seems odd to me is how they figure the laser is capable of permanently reducing hairs which my interpretation of that is it can permantly kill hairs but only some of them. If it’s capable of killing some hairs then how come it couldn’t eventually kill all of the hairs? Hypothetically assuming the skin could handle the laser again and again ( which I highly doubt since it’s not exactly good for the skin) am I misunderstanding the wording they use? Maybe they mean reduce permantly for a given amount of time or what but either way I think the wording used by the fda is telling of effectiveness as far as it achieving permanency. The phrase just seems very ambiguous to me. Like this is your reading this and have had a negative experience, like I have with laser

Here is the FDA’s definition of permanent hair reduction: “Permanent hair reduction is defined as the long-term, stable reduction in the number of hairs re-growing after a treatment regime, which may include several sessions.The number of hairs regrowing must be stable over time greater than the duration of the complete growth cycle of hair follicles, which varies from four to twelve months according to body location. Permanent hair reduction does not necessarily imply the elimination of all hairs in the treatment area.”

2 Likes

You are correct that laser kills some hairs but not others. It is due to how laser works. The light it emits is a specifically chosen frequency that’s absorbed mostly by the pigment in the hair. The darker the hair and the bigger the root, the better the chance of killing it. But many people have a mix of hair colours, so the darker one will be killed, but not the lighter. Often the hairs treated are in different stages of growth; the growing ones have deep dark juicy roots, but the resting ones have shallow dry white salt grains at the end of them. The former would treat well and the latter won’t get killed by the laser.